How do YOU deal with that rude park guest?

AngryEyes

I actually cheat all that. My family thought I was crazy the first time I did it, But I held them back. They all rushed to the door and I said "wait; Let the other people in first." We let nearly all the people go then when it was our turn, we had the pick of the theater AND got the middle section too. They were very pleased.

My family thinks I'm a genius for coming up with this on one of our first trips.

As for dealing with morons, I'll let general rudeness slide, because I'm not the manners police. However, when it's clearly intentional and it directly affects my family, I have no choice but to say something.

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward
The iPad people aren't just a Disney. At my daughter's dance class today a grandmother was filming with her iPad. She also had one of those flip covers on it so she had to hold that up out of the way too. I was sitting on the floor in the front of the class and this woman crossed the room and stood directly in front of me. I don't know why she did that her grand kid was on the other side of the dance floor. I said "excuse me" and she looked and me then went back to taping. That's when I tapped the back of her heel with my foot. My 2 year old son saw that and well he's in the monkey see - money do phase so the lady finally moved after my son kicked her a few times. I'm sure she thought we were the rude ones.

BoarderPhreak

I never knew iPads were such a no-no but they weren't around last time we went to Disney. Just in case, I told my husband he was not allowed to bring his when we go in June, but he said he didn't plan to! :) (Why would anyone bring something so expensive to a park anyway???)
I wouldn't say they're a no-no... But people use them on dark rides (with their bright screens) and outside (where they're just funny looking and view-blocking) to take pictures. At least (unlike phones) people's noses aren't usually buried in them while they walk around. You do see that often enough though. There's actually a valid reason to have them - the My Disney Experience (and other) apps. Manage ADRs, see what's going on where and when, a park map, wait times, etc.

Monkee Girl

My family thinks I'm a genius for coming up with this on one of our first trips.

As for dealing with morons, I'll let general rudeness slide, because I'm not the manners police. However, when it's clearly intentional and it directly affects my family, I have no choice but to say something.

Exactly. People don't realize that those auditoriums are HUGE. There is enough room to fit pretty much everyone so let the rushers go in first and then follow. You don't even have to wait until every last person goes in; just enough so that you are not being trampled over by people.

As for the 'morons' yea, I am just too much of a wimp; even if they really tick me off. I worked at the Disney Store for a season and I was the lucky one who had to stand guard at the entrance on Black Friday. I don't know if all the stores do it; but on Black Friday our store would have a cast member stand out there and guard the line of people and then let so many in so as to enhance the experience and keep from having 10,000,000 people in the store. Most people like the idea so they wait. Well, one time, this woman walks in and I stopped her and said 'excuse me, but you have to wait in line.' She keeps walking saying 'no english! no english.' After a few tries, I had to let her in because I can't physically hold her from the store and being new to the experience, I didn't know what to do. So she goes in and I start talking with a customer in line. He wasn't annoyed but he saw that upset me and gave me words of encouragement. A few minutes later, the woman walks out with her bags and clear as day goes: "Thank you very much!" I was flabbergasted. People just...they are jerks. Again, they think they are above everyone else and can do what they want despite the rules. I guess because they know no one is going to stop them. Again, what could I do? So I let it go and continues with my job, she wasn't work it.

My sister on the other hand, won't let one slight get passed her. You do something she finds offensive, she will confront you about it, lol I wish I had her guts.

draybook

I thought my wife handled something well on Space Mt recently. We were doing a ride switch and when she got back she told me she had let two teenage boys ahead of her as they were walking aloung to get on the ride. Well they got up to where you handed your FPs and an older couple came up behind her and started butting their way past her as they talked to the boys(she guessed they were the parents) and attempted to move next to them. She said to the father "Sorry but you have to wait, I let those boys ahead of me already and I am not letting you, if you had asked me if you could join them I would have said yes, but since you just presumed you could move me aside you have to wait". I was proud of her.

I commend her for doing that. However, the day that someone puts their hand(s) on my wife or children will be the day I am no longer welcome in the house of the mouse. My wife will vouch that I am very protective of them.

draybook

self_portrait_fail_zps8481a9df.jpg

That's what iPad users look like to me when using their devices to take pictures..... :cool:

Occasional Guest

I usually just say, "that doesn't seem very magical." I am not brave enough to actually stop someone but at least I can point out that I don't approve of the action. I'm sure most of them don't care but I feel better.

PeoplemoverTTA

I make a comment. Too many people do this stuff because they can get away with it because no one says anything to them and just ignores it. I can't tell you how many times I have told people next to me at shows to stop talkin or told people to stop taking flash photos on rides or told people that we had been waiting for the parade/Illuminations for an hour and they needed to find their own space and stop pushing past us. I don't deal well with rudeness and I am not one to ignore it. Too many people do it nowadays that it's too hard to ignore.

I completely agree with this. I won't let a rude person ruin my vacation, but I'm not going to just let it slide either. I will absolutely make a remark to someone who does any of the above things.

Oh, and my major pet peeve is people who taunt or try to hurt the ducks. Don't get me started, lol. They are innocent animals and I've seen people try to step on them and everything. I will get very vocal then!

Just noticed, Darolyn, that I'll be in WDW the same time as you! My boyfriend and I are going to be there 5/31-6/3 for our first anniversary (his first trip in 20 years). I'll be posting a bunch on Twitter, maybe I'll run into you!

Redhawk

If we all had more space, I think most guests would seem like sweethearts.

I go at very uncrowded times of the year, and unfortunately there are still plenty of rude people. As someone above mentioned, at least if your ride is ruined by someone continuously taking flash photos or filming with an iPad, then I can easily get on again within minutes.

As for the theaters and sitting in the middle, once you've been in a couple of theaters it's easy to see that rushing or pushing to enter first is the dumb thing to do. If you enter in the middle of the crowd, you'll usually get the center seats. When I go the theaters are often only 30% full so most people can get a good seat without going all the way to the end, and that's completely acceptable, but yeah, it's still a bit annoying when a family of 7 plop down in the middle of your row and you have to step over their legs and feet.

Club Cooloholic

I commend her for doing that. However, the day that someone puts their hand(s) on my wife or children will be the day I am no longer welcome in the house of the mouse. My wife will vouch that I am very protective of them.
Nobody put her hands on her, so it did not get to that point. And well she was alone, she's a tough lady!

jmorri26

Original Poster
To answer the original question....

Just walk away. That person could easily have a gun in their pocket. That's not Disney Advice.... that's advice for the US in general. Note that WDW does not screen pocket contents at security... and I do not blame them. We don't need a Disney TSA - one group of thugs is enough.

It's a vacation - no one needs to start, or participate in a stink if they choose not to...

This made me wonder if any crazy guests have ever actually pulled a gun, which I doubted. If you look at the wiki page for reported iincidents at WDW http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incidents_at_Walt_Disney_World

The only mentions of actual weapons ever used were 2 in Disneyland- both in the 80's- one a kid was shot in the parking lot, the other a man stabbed in Tomorrowland.
In WDW, in 92 a guy got into EPCOT after hours with a shotgun looking for his employee girlfriend. He took security guard hostages and holed up in the Journey Into Imagination bathrooms before coming out and shooting himself in the head. Wow. I had never heard that one! How horrible.

PolynesianPrincess

I completely agree with this. I won't let a rude person ruin my vacation, but I'm not going to just let it slide either. I will absolutely make a remark to someone who does any of the above things.

Oh, and my major pet peeve is people who taunt or try to hurt the ducks. Don't get me started, lol. They are innocent animals and I've seen people try to step on them and everything. I will get very vocal then!

Just noticed, Darolyn, that I'll be in WDW the same time as you! My boyfriend and I are going to be there 5/31-6/3 for our first anniversary (his first trip in 20 years). I'll be posting a bunch on Twitter, maybe I'll run into you!

Yeah people really aren't too nice to some of the wildlife there either. It's really sad.

And yes, I hope we run into each other!! There's going to be a bunch of people down there that week! @PartOfYourWorld and @mamamouse will also be there!! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom