How do YOU deal with that rude park guest?

litaljohn

This made me wonder if any crazy guests have ever actually pulled a gun, which I doubted. If you look at the wiki page for reported iincidents at WDW http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Incidents_at_Walt_Disney_World

The only mentions of actual weapons ever used were 2 in Disneyland- both in the 80's- one a kid was shot in the parking lot, the other a man stabbed in Tomorrowland.
In WDW, in 92 a guy got into EPCOT after hours with a shotgun looking for his employee girlfriend. He took security guard hostages and holed up in the Journey Into Imagination bathrooms before coming out and shooting himself in the head. Wow. I had never heard that one! How horrible.

wasn't there also a big standoff at boardwalk once? I definitely remember Years back watching cops run through all the shrubs and an overhead helicopter filmic it. ( I was excited rcause I was just staying at that resort the previous month, could not have been a more inappropriate time to yell, oh cool I remember that area it's right by the ice maker for the bucket!)

englanddg

One Little Spark...
wasn't there also a big standoff at boardwalk once? I definitely remember Years back watching cops run through all the shrubs and an overhead helicopter filmic it. ( I was excited rcause I was just staying at that resort the previous month, could not have been a more inappropriate time to yell, oh cool I remember that area it's right by the ice maker for the bucket!)

Yep. In 2000.

http://archives.cnn.com/2000/US/06/29/disney.hostage.02/

litaljohn

so seeing all the issues and how we actually respond, my questions is this in all these things we point out what is the limit to how we CAN respond. ( obviously I don't mean coming to blows or anything)

i do actually get some sick pleasure in responding to problematic people. although I'm the first o admit that I'm like Louis C.K. in that "I have a set of beliefs, and I live by none of them. " I am the guy who drives slower and slower the closer you ride up on my bumper, yet if the limit is 40 and you are going 30, you can practically tell the thread count on my shirt.

in my head I sort of always fantasize about various things that could potentially ever happen and how I would respond. but it makes me wonder what can and will be done.

for instance let's say our infamous tour group buddy's start the old "let me cut everyone because I have a friend further up te line. the first few maybe I'll let pass, but when it becomes more often I will guarantee me and the person I'm with will suddenly be taking a lot is space to put an end to that where possible. (especially narrow line areas like some on splash mountain) but here's where I really want to know where the limit is. if I'm seeing the same kid doing this again on other attractions as well, once we get to the cast members and see quite obviously there was no group that they were with waiting for them, can I notify the cast members of these obviously unsupervised children providing addition safety hazards as well trying o push past people instead of orderly waiting for your turn as the rest of civilization grasped rather easily. (I have in the past seen kids that couldn't have been older than four trip because of the "cutting crews" trying to plow by)
so at the heart of the matter is now this point which I've never actually reached to know the outcome. so my question is if we go to the cast
member near loading and explain these events. what is the cast members responsibility at this point and what can/or will they do? ( truthfully I'd have no problem stepping out of line and waiting with them for security to stop by if it means getting them to knock it off or even remotely scaring them into behaving just from having to see security show up.

and I suppose in general terms as well does anyone know how strict Disney adheres to their own policy or enforces their rules if at all?

KatMaria

so seeing all the issues and how we actually respond, my questions is this in all these things we point out what is the limit to how we CAN respond. ( obviously I don't mean coming to blows or anything)

i do actually get some sick pleasure in responding to problematic people. although I'm the first o admit that I'm like Louis C.K. in that "I have a set of beliefs, and I live by none of them. " I am the guy who drives slower and slower the closer you ride up on my bumper, yet if the limit is 40 and you are going 30, you can practically tell the thread count on my shirt.

in my head I sort of always fantasize about various things that could potentially ever happen and how I would respond. but it makes me wonder what can and will be done.

for instance let's say our infamous tour group buddy's start the old "let me cut everyone because I have a friend further up te line. the first few maybe I'll let pass, but when it becomes more often I will guarantee me and the person I'm with will suddenly be taking a lot is space to put an end to that where possible. (especially narrow line areas like some on splash mountain) but here's where I really want to know where the limit is. if I'm seeing the same kid doing this again on other attractions as well, once we get to the cast members and see quite obviously there was no group that they were with waiting for them, can I notify the cast members of these obviously unsupervised children providing addition safety hazards as well trying o push past people instead of orderly waiting for your turn as the rest of civilization grasped rather easily. (I have in the past seen kids that couldn't have been older than four trip because of the "cutting crews" trying to plow by)
so at the heart of the matter is now this point which I've never actually reached to know the outcome. so my question is if we go to the cast
member near loading and explain these events. what is the cast members responsibility at this point and what can/or will they do? ( truthfully I'd have no problem stepping out of line and waiting with them for security to stop by if it means getting them to knock it off or even remotely scaring them into behaving just from having to see security show up.

and I suppose in general terms as well does anyone know how strict Disney adheres to their own policy or enforces their rules if at all?

The cast member would alert their manager and the manager will take it from there. Once they have been alerted it will be taken care of. Disney knows how to handle certain situations and will kick groups out if they become too much of a problem....

TomDisney

"Excuse me, excuse me. I'm feeling a little queasy and wouldn't wanna barf on ya." ;)

Just let those around you "accidentally overhear you" about that stomach virus you've got.

Problem is that happened to me on Splash Mountain. I girl threw up in line all over my legs and feet and I was wearing sandals. The parents never even apologized or said anything to me. :(

Alexis

Nothing will ever work. I try to give the "evil eye" but I don't think they really care.
I absolutely hate when people stop walking in the middle of the park and before you're about to bump into them you have to think fast and move outta the way!!!

DebDeb

We turned in a rude guest last year to security! He would be easy for security to spot in a crowd! Just look for a younger guy, tattooed up, shirtless, smoking, riding in a scooter, cussing at everybody within ear shot about ice cream. He was one of the rudest I have ever seen out in the real world, much less Disney World. He got all bent out of shape at the Dole Whip girl! He wanted cups of ice cream in a drink cup and wanted it at a discount for his kids. He was yelling at the poor girl that she was an f-idiot! The guests around him were all staring at him like really dude? He then started in on all of us, yelling to his wife (also in a scooter-smoking too) “honey this is bs" "What the f... are you looking at? "! I have nothing against scooter/wheelchairs.(even though I ripped my toe nail off on a lady’s wheelchair that stopped right in front of me last year, in the dark, in front of the castle) Thank God for motorized vehicles for the people that really are in need to get around. But, both of them needing a scooter? Their kids hanging off them? Really folks? Scooter or no scooter this guy was a big jerk! We all felt so sorry the little girl that he lit into. She was almost in tears. My family gets upset with me when I go all “teacher” and want to get on to people like that! Too many years in the public school system I guess! It is so hard sometimes to stop myself from telling perfect strangers, teenagers especially "Hey stop that!!" or "Watch your mouth!" LOL!

jmorri26

Original Poster
This is just a funny aside to all this, but I was waiting to watch MSEP when we went the other week, a few days after the whole events in Boston, so naturally people are a little guarded. I was waiting against a railing by the hub and a relatively pleasant family was next to us with a double stroller waiting. In the teeny space between their stroller and me, a middle eastern man pushed a small stroller over my foot and wedged it in between their stroller and me, his son dropped a huge black backpack in the chair and they ran off. I didn't think much of it other than getting run over and that was rude, but they were flat out gone.
The mom next to me started getting SO nervous. She kept talking to her husband and finally the dad pulled their stroller/kids as far away as he could, ran up to the now abandoned stroller and grabbed the backpack. He starts shaking it yelling "Well, I don't know what a bomb feels like!!!!" He looked over at me and goes "You just can't trust people these days!" They were both very worked up and were getitng everyone in their area worked up seeing them panicking. The mom then grabbed the abandoned stroller and bag and ran off with it and all but chucked it as far into Tomorrowland as she could! She ran back and was complaining to a CM and her husband about how sketchy it was the guy and his kid were gone (I think they were shoving to the front of the parade and ditched the stroller for the time) and how if Disney wasn't sniffing these people out, they needed to take matters into their own hands! I never saw the dad and son come back for it, but that was a first for me seeing a mom run and toss a stroller across the park! I was standing there flabbergasted by it all! I'm sure that dad/son came back so confused!
So yes, some people will go to extremes if they want/feel they need to!

itsbetsyh

We were reentering Magic Kingdom to ride Small World one last time before driving home and I bumped a women's foot with my stroller. I apologized and her husband spun around and yelled "watch where the F$%^ you're going you stupid F'ng B^%$#." My daughter almost started crying and I honestly felt scared for my security. I couldn't shrug off the fear that man instilled in me. I never feel unsafe at Disney, but it was definitely a scary moment. I go all the time though and he was really the only terror I encountered.

tissandtully

This is just a funny aside to all this, but I was waiting to watch MSEP when we went the other week, a few days after the whole events in Boston, so naturally people are a little guarded. I was waiting against a railing by the hub and a relatively pleasant family was next to us with a double stroller waiting. In the teeny space between their stroller and me, a middle eastern man pushed a small stroller over my foot and wedged it in between their stroller and me, his son dropped a huge black backpack in the chair and they ran off. I didn't think much of it other than getting run over and that was rude, but they were flat out gone.
The mom next to me started getting SO nervous. She kept talking to her husband and finally the dad pulled their stroller/kids as far away as he could, ran up to the now abandoned stroller and grabbed the backpack. He starts shaking it yelling "Well, I don't know what a bomb feels like!!!!" He looked over at me and goes "You just can't trust people these days!" They were both very worked up and were getitng everyone in their area worked up seeing them panicking. The mom then grabbed the abandoned stroller and bag and ran off with it and all but chucked it as far into Tomorrowland as she could! She ran back and was complaining to a CM and her husband about how sketchy it was the guy and his kid were gone (I think they were shoving to the front of the parade and ditched the stroller for the time) and how if Disney wasn't sniffing these people out, they needed to take matters into their own hands! I never saw the dad and son come back for it, but that was a first for me seeing a mom run and toss a stroller across the park! I was standing there flabbergasted by it all! I'm sure that dad/son came back so confused!
So yes, some people will go to extremes if they want/feel they need to!

Holy crap, that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Personally, I'm too young to say anything. It comes off as rude if I do. I give them the look and move on, or I play the innocent game, "I'm sorry, I can't see, look at me, I'm only 5 ft! Could you please move that?" I do like to give people the benefit of the doubt. If someone is being rude, I just move myself. It avoids an altercation.

Basically, I go to high school, I'm used to dealing with shoving and general rudeness, so the little I encounter at Disney just doesn't phase me. Although last trip there were Argentinians, a group of girls younger than me, and they were trying to line jump, and I told them in Spanish, "The end of the line is over there." If I see a group of teens doing it, it's a different story, especially ones who act all innocent because they don't speak English and are then surprised when I speak Spanish

Please tell me how to say that in Spanish! :D

litaljohn

does Disney "beef up" for bigger crowds? I'd imagine more of a presence in shops and stuff but I would imagine with big crowds and long lines people are more easily irritated to begin with. I sort of wonder how there aren't big fist fights that break out. I mean I figure worst case scenario on my last day Friday I'll just scrape down a light saber hilt into a shiv. lets see people cut in line now. ya gotta figure you'll get a medal or 20 to life, but man it would be a nice one, you wouldn't dare trade it for any pins or anything.

itsbetsyh

I guess I'm always surprised too by the people who think they can just get a good spot to watch the parade 5 minutes before it starts. I've been asked to move several times. As a rule, we sit down about an hour before it starts and claim our spot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom