How busy is too busy? How long are you willing to wait?

How long will you wait in line before walking away?

• 0-10 Minutes

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • 10-20 Minutes

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • 20-30 Minutes

Votes: 40 33.1%
  • 30-40 Minutes

Votes: 31 25.6%
  • 40-50 Minutes

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • 50-60 Minutes

Votes: 13 10.7%
  • Over 60 Minutes

Votes: 9 7.4%

• Total voters

sydneymorganmom

I'm taking FP out of the equation because of the ability to schedule fastpasses with the MyMagic+ program that is going to be rolled out. I'm going with the basic assumption that all the fastpasses will be gone and you'll be forced to wait in the standby line.

So this is highly relevant. Changes are coming.

My response was alluding to the fact that it hasn't been relevant for us in any of our trips, not going forward. I don't think anyone can say how long they will wait in the future until we see how the system(s) will affect everyone's experience.

SyracuseOrange

I say 20 minutes is my threshold but then we just stood in line for the Little Mermaid for 50 minutes last month. We were in the parks for a single day, no plans to return, and wanted to see it.

Interesting topic. Definitely something we've discussed. One of the big reasons we don't currently wish to return to WDW is because dealing with the masses of humanity is such a deterrent. And we've always gone during "off" or "less busy" times. Disney keeps the parks so full anymore that there truly is no real "quiet" time anymore. The difference in January 2004 and January 2013 is so very stark. Getting up early and staying educated so we know how to avoid the long waits, etc. are things that aren't fun for us anymore. We want to sleep past 8 on vacation and do whatever appeals when we set out.

I honestly can say I'd spend twice as much to have half the number of people there. I'd spend 3 times as much for just a third. Right now I wouldn't spend half the going cost of a WDW vacation to be there. It's too many people and too much work to stay ahead of the herds. No thanks.

I agree with everything you said. And I am extra spoiled because my local park was Disneyland Paris for a year, so I usually wouldn't wait in line for any ride (except Crush's Coaster) if it was more than 5 minutes. I went during their "off" times which are still true off times. Nothing better than being able to walk onto my favorite rides, have a shop all to yourself, walk from one ride to another without bumping into a single person.

Bliss.

I recently did a long weekend in WDW (my first time visiting in a few years) and was SHOCKED that a weekend in February had such long lines. Had to up my threshold to 20 minutes, which meant that I missed out on some attractions I wanted to do - but I won't wait!

I could be wrong, but I don't see My Magic+ completely drying up the fastpass well, especially since they are adding more fastpass options. Families can only reserve up to 6 experiences in one day and I am going to guess that these are the people who would have used fastpass anyway, those of us who forego My Magic + will still be able to utilize fast pass like always.

disneygirl1

I could be wrong, but I don't see My Magic+ completely drying up the fastpass well, especially since they are adding more fastpass options. Families can only reserve up to 6 experiences in one day and I am going to guess that these are the people who would have used fastpass anyway, those of us who forego My Magic + will still be able to utilize fast pass like always.

I have to agree with you on this one. the FP+ is only going to be for guests staying at a disney resort meaning if they are still going to have FP's available for non disney resort guests, they will have to keep the paper FP machines. When we were there this past December, we got the opportunity to particpate in the FP+ trial. IT worked out great and we were literally able to get everything done in MK by early afternoon. Basically we picked our FP+ options and the times for those attractions before we left home, then while in the park we used the FP machines to get the paper FP's for the rides we didn't have FP+'s for. Literally we were getting off a ride and heading right to your next FP! IT worked perfectly and I pray it is rolled out in June when we go!

Stu bailey

20 minute posted wait for a ride or a show is tops for us. We will not wait longer. We max use the FP system, all the PM extra magic hours and go on rides/see shows that for whatever reason do not have a current long line/wait.

Mouseketeer #1

My max is usually 30 minutes unless it's a ride I really really want to ride it. Whenever I go my family doesn't care if we stay together so we usually use the single rider line at the rides that offer it (like RR or EE) so that we just get stuck on. It usually only has a wait of around 5 minutes.

pumpkin7

We waited for Soarin' for about 3 hours. What a complete waste. I just wasn't very Disney savvy during our last trip.
Me and my Dad have queued for stuff for hours and hours before. We queued for the Mummy in Uni, got right to the front, then they announced we all had to leave through the actual queue. My Mom was having a fit because we'd been gone for AGES and then they had stretchered two people off the ride. We hadn't appeared and everyone had come out. We were literally last out.
That's always lame when you wait so long for something and you can't ride it. We all waited for MIB like that, and still didn't get to ride, after a 2 hour wait. It never used to bother me when I was younger but now I know how much a holiday costs and every minute counts.

luv

I hope you're right. :)

Computer Magic

I say 20 minutes is my threshold but then we just stood in line for the Little Mermaid for 50 minutes last month. We were in the parks for a single day, no plans to return, and wanted to see it.

Interesting topic. Definitely something we've discussed. One of the big reasons we don't currently wish to return to WDW is because dealing with the masses of humanity is such a deterrent. And we've always gone during "off" or "less busy" times. Disney keeps the parks so full anymore that there truly is no real "quiet" time anymore. The difference in January 2004 and January 2013 is so very stark. Getting up early and staying educated so we know how to avoid the long waits, etc. are things that aren't fun for us anymore. We want to sleep past 8 on vacation and do whatever appeals when we set out.

I honestly can say I'd spend twice as much to have half the number of people there. I'd spend 3 times as much for just a third. Right now I wouldn't spend half the going cost of a WDW vacation to be there. It's too many people and too much work to stay ahead of the herds. No thanks.
Wow, you sound like my wife. We just returned from a 8 day stay in so called "slow"or Value time. It was crazy full with 60 minutes rides by 10am, yet the parks closed by 9pm.

After we returned, my wife stated, WDW isn't as fun as it use to be. Its too crowded and everyone is rude. It probably didn't help on our last day, our Deluxe Beach Club had 4 toliets overflow, including ours. She still enjoyed herself but it just wasn't the same. The timeframe of the change is about the timeframe you stated.

When the park is open for 12 hours and rides are 30-60 minutes, that doesn't give time for many rides. Especially when you count walk time, bathroom breaks, food and if you want to take a mid day break. This last trip we didn''t feel we rode many rides.

Computer Magic

I heard the traditional FP machines are going away. That is why the new FL Mermaid darkride doesn't have a place for fastpass machines near the attraction. Disney FP for Mermaid is all the way near philharmagic.

I saw a 20 minute wait just to get a FP for FL Mermaid. Sad when there is a line to get a ticket to get back in line.

MKCP 1985

The cure for over saturation is elimination of discounts. Anyone willing to give up their annual discount for shorter lines?

Personally, I didn't see the rudeness on my last couple of visits, but with that many people present I have no doubt it exists.

I can remember when there were only 2 parks, fast pass didn't exist and long lines were the norm during school break. I guess that's why I have always appreciated the concept of FastPass.

Computer Magic

The cure for over saturation is elimination of discounts. Anyone willing to give up their annual discount for shorter lines?
We discussed this during our trip. Disney is too expensive with the discount. Seems they are rising the prices above normal and then "giving" a discount. Off subject, a friend went to best buy and saw a laptop for $550. The next day the same laptop had retail price of $600 with a 'discount" of $50 for a final price of $550. True story. This reminds me of Disney. Jack up prices and offer discounts. That goes for resort and dining. Sometimes I think its to push (inflate) the DVC and dining value.

The "discounted" price for the resort we stayed at was over $300 per night. Did I mention Wifi didn''t work correctly and our toliet overflowed into the next room? I'm going to get heat for this but I think its amount of of DVC that is making the difference.

Computer Magic

I can remember when there were only 2 parks, fast pass didn't exist and long lines were the norm during school break. I guess that's why I have always appreciated the concept of FastPass.
I think it that way all the time. Disney has worked hard to remove the non-peak times. With so many events during those non peak times. The difference is the heat and the shorter hours of operations.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

Personally, I didn't see the rudeness on my last couple of visits, but with that many people present I have no doubt it exists.

Part of the cure. I think there are a couple of other issues as well. Capacity has been reduced over the years (i.e. less attractions per park). It has always been noticeable at DAK and DHS, but now it is becoming an issue at EPCOT and MK. Unfortunately, for Disney, I believe that Uni and SW are going to start taking bigger slice of the pie. This will help with waits and crowds, but the modern Disney reaction to this seems to be reduction of capacity. I think they'll also use MM+ and all of its bells and whistles to reduce capacity even more, so that lines and restaurant waits will be the same regardless of when you go (less waiters, less cars on the track, etc. during slow season). I hope I'm wrong....

I think it that way all the time. Disney has worked hard to remove the non-peak times. With so many events during those non peak times. The difference is the heat and the shorter hours of operations.

Correct. Another way to painlessly reduce capacity is the shorter park hours. Painless for them, not for us.

I can tell you that conversations with different people here in the midwest over the last 2-3 years make it really hard for me to believe that Disney isn't going to suffer some kind of attendance hit. They've still got the best theme park spine in the business, now if they would only develop the rest of the bones, muscles, internal organs, etc. I also think the pancreas is in great shape.

scheat

I also think Disney must be doing a good job of marketing to the international market. Our last trip definitely saw Americans as the minority in the parks. That increase has definitely made the parks more crowded. If fewer Americans are going, I think that will be made up for through international guests.

BigRedDad

I was at MK yesterday. It was at my extreme limits for crowds. I would not have gone to MK on a Saturday if it had not been for my daughter's BBB appointment. After noon, we did 3 rides and that was it. Too many people, too long to get anywhere, and too long to get on a ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom