Hour long wait to get through TTC security today - May 23

Disney Glimpses

And there is currently no sign on bonus for security.
Security is only one aspect of arrival.

And I'm telling you you're drinking the koolaid being handed to you.
That's fine. You simply don't like what you are being told because you believe you have it all figured out and it's big bad Disney doing this to you on purpose.

You think they are intentionally funneling hundreds of thousands of dollars of guest spending, potentially millions, just to save on a handful of hourly workers throughout the day? Someone's drinking koolaid, but it's not me.

I'll take a break from posting on the forums. Cheers y'all. Enjoy the speculation.

Last edited:

Anteater

Security is only one aspect of arrival.

That's fine. You simply don't like what you are being told because you believe you have it all figured out and it's big bad Disney doing this to you on purpose.

I'll take a break from posting here. Cheers y'all. Enjoy the speculation.
I do like your insider insights. However, I would think we'd see the same issues as USO, SW, BG, and even LegoLand. Why are they not having hiring issues that limit them to 40-50% of their force?

flynnibus

Premium Member
We're agreeing mostly but not agreeing on the reason. You're 100% correct and apologies that I misinterpreted you. But the reasons for doing it are not voluntary nor are they permanent. They are absolutely necessary right now.

Consider how many things they've announced are returning with no date? Because they are just praying they have the bodies at some point soon. They are begging to restore offerings, this isn't voluntary.

So what you are really trying to say is... Disney is using the 2pm park hopping rule because they don't have the bodies to staff the turnstyles and security as they need throughout the day.

While staffing is very much a problem, I don't really believe this optimization helps them make staffing better. If all parks are going into lulls at the same time, and peaking at similar times, there is no way to redistribute the available staff from low demand to high demand spots. All it does is funnel demand into more predictable spots. And it's not like Disney is only running 3hr shifts.. so where do these security and turnstyle people go during the lull periods? So all this means is demand is concentrated, not that Disney uses it to improve customer experience - which let's not forget is what they keep pitching to the outside world.

The bigger gain has to be driving utilization in the parks and making crowd patterns from park reservations more effective.

So all this 'if it weren't for 2pm rule.. this would have been worse' talk is bunkus. These were all people with park reservations to begin with... clearly something broke down in their ability to process people through the TTC in an effective manner. Considering the only thing that happens in the TTC is boarding and security... and there was no report of down transportation... that leaves security as the bottleneck.

castlecake2.0

Something went wrong somewhere for sure, maybe a ton of call outs? Maybe some scanners went down? But if this was them truly trying to screw guests over to save some labor wouldn’t this be happening everyday? Something went wrong somewhere but I don’t believe this was done intentionally. I have some insight into labor operations at WDW and while of course they try to trim excess where possible, you’d be amazed at how much money is spent weekly to staff the place.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney like most employers is in a catch 22... they need to pay more to attract workers now, but don't want to KEEP paying workers that premium nor do they want entry level pay to push up all it's other pay. Throw unions into the mix and you get this 'no-win' situation where they can't easily dynamically pay people what is needed 'now' without risking higher costs 'forever'.

Disney needs to make it more attractive to work at Disney by being an actual great place to work... because just throwing money at the hourly rate has such huge impacts at an employer of this scale.

CaptainAmerica

I am saying if the 2pm rule didn't exist, these crowds would be exasperated even further. Park Pass capacity is designed to handle a set number of rope droppers and then some part timers drop off mid-morning. Staffing at the gates increase again around 2pm.
Wasn't this 9:30 AM? They should still be running rope drop staffing at that time.

Lilofan

Nobody thought of it quick enough.

You mean $5.50 Dasani that runs through a filter and a garden hose in Pinellas county? 🤔
A young Girl Scout accompanied by her father was quick thinking in San Diego a few years back. She pushed her Girl Scout wagon down the line of people standing on the sidewalk outside a pot dispensary location . She sold a number of Girl Scout cookie boxes to support her organization.

Goofyernmost

Two thoughts!

1. If that picture was taken from the beginning of that hour, I'd have to say that is a lot of whining for nothing. If all it took was an hour from there I'd say it was moving pretty fast.

2. In my memory you can park in the Epcot parking lot and go directly to MK without entering Epcot. Therefore the 2pm park hopper doesn't even enter into the picture.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom