Hour long wait to get through TTC security today - May 23

Goofyernmost

I refuse to park at TTC. I've been to MK enough times in my life the "reveal" of getting to the park is long gone for me. Just let me park closer and not have to boat/monorail
Certainly, an option if the trip over no longer does it for you, however, from my first visit 39 years ago I went in through TTC and never once saw it as a burden that I had to do to get to the prize. It was always a part of the fun. The ferry ride or the monorail is to me as much of an attraction as the WDW railroad or the Liberty Square Riverboat. Throw in the tram ride and it becomes a trifecta of fun. However, of course, if riding in a smelly bus automatically missing three attractions is ok, who am I to argue.

Anteater

Why do people have such a hard time understanding that staffing 6 parks, a downtown district, and 30+ hotels takes a lot longer than staffing 3 parks, a downtown district, and 8 hotels?
That's a scaling issue, not a time-to-staff issue. If the HR team is large enough, each location could easily be handled. Indeed, the scale allows for common hiring/recruiting. I'd say the issue comes down to salary and relatively "fun" factor. If I wasn't allowed to go to the parks when I'm off and that's a perk, I'd certainly be thinking of going somewhere else.

CaptainAmerica

That's a scaling issue, not a time-to-staff issue. If the HR team is large enough, each location could easily be handled.
Except even an HR department that is fully optimized is right-sized for normal turnover and normal seasonality, not to mention normal immigration policies. They're not optimized for a once-in-a-century global pandemic and two consecutive Presidential administrations of closed borders. Even if Disney had infinite HR resources and lightning-fast onboarding, they can't increase the population of Central Florida.

If I wasn't allowed to go to the parks when I'm off and that's a perk, I'd certainly be thinking of going somewhere else.
That's not a thing. Cast member block-out calendar:

1653415156518.png

"Red" means all four parks are blocked out. "Yellow" means one to three parks are blocked out. Notice all of the red and yellow?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I dunno if its permanent or not, but in my lifetime "temporary" at WDW has averaged something like 12 years.
Had to bring up the hat, didn’t you? 🤪
I know it's difficult to sort out what's Chapek bean counting vs. COVID related, but I can assure you the low staffing levels are not what they want. It's killing them right now. They just think this is a storm they can weather without raising wages across the board (which would in turn cause them to further raise prices).
Well you’ve hit it.
With respect, I'm not talking to the name tags.

Secondly, I'm not saying they aren't at fault (entirely anyways). They could raise wages and solve this problem, but they refuse to. They are luring people with temporary sign on bonuses.
My point was if you work there - and you seem to - the chatter is rarely the truth. You don’t disclose the aims to a semi-controlled combat brigade of 50,000…armies are better when they don’t know the strategy, only the minute by minute task.

And the wage problem is mostly their own fault. Because one call from Bob Iger and a minor PR hit/stunt in may of 2020 would’ve solved most of their labor issues. But they couldn’t do it.

So they made the catastrophic mistake of dumping their staff on the street and thinking they’d return. Which means they’ve paid ZERO attention to who has worked for them in Orlando since about 1993. Utterly clueless.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Except they have raised wages across the board.
No they haven't - their wage increases were already on the calendar before the pandemic. And those scheduled increases already look behind the new expectation because the pandemic escalation of wages is a jump like no one has seen in ages.

Their wage tables are fixed - they are only offering things like hiring bonuses.

Anteater

Except even an HR department that is fully optimized is right-sized for normal turnover and normal seasonality, not to mention normal immigration policies. They're not optimized for a once-in-a-century global pandemic and two consecutive Presidential administrations of closed borders. Even if Disney had infinite HR resources and lightning-fast onboarding, they can't increase the population of Central Florida.

That's not a thing. Cast member block-out calendar:

View attachment 640818

"Red" means all four parks are blocked out. "Yellow" means one to three parks are blocked out. Notice all of the red and yellow?
Maybe look earlier in the year when they were pushing hiring pretty hard.... I don't have a way of pulling it up. But, numerous CMs were complaining about this very thing. I'm sure you must have read those posts?

CaptainAmerica

No they haven't - their wage increases were already on the calendar before the pandemic. And those scheduled increases already look behind the new expectation because the pandemic escalation of wages is a jump like no one has seen in ages.

Their wage tables are fixed - they are only offering things like hiring bonuses.
Housekeeping at $17 is new and unconnected to the union-negotiated rates that predated the pandemic.

CaptainAmerica

But, numerous CMs were complaining about this very thing. I'm sure you must have read those posts?
I've seen one mother of a CP complaining about the lack of availability. Blockout dates have been a bit irregular, but in aggregate they haven't been any more restrictive now than the past decade. When New Fantasyland opened, cast members couldn't go to Magic Kingdom for like a year. Ditto Pandora and Galaxy's Edge.

Anteater

I've seen one mother of a CP complaining about the lack of availability. Blockout dates have been a bit irregular, but in aggregate they haven't been any more restrictive now than the past decade. When New Fantasyland opened, cast members couldn't go to Magic Kingdom for like a year. Ditto Pandora and Galaxy's Edge.
Guess I've been reading too many sites... I've heard much more than that famous mom. :). CMs also couldn't attend CM events since they couldn't get off or they were selected to fill in for others. From what I read, it hasn't be a fun place to work like it was pre-pandemic.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
What they could do is dual- or triple-qualify CMs so they could (a) staff security pre-open, (b) staff tapstyles at open, and (c) staff rides as the individual lands open.

flynnibus

Premium Member
That's a scaling issue, not a time-to-staff issue. If the HR team is large enough, each location could easily be handled. Indeed, the scale allows for common hiring/recruiting. I'd say the issue comes down to salary and relatively "fun" factor. If I wasn't allowed to go to the parks when I'm off and that's a perk, I'd certainly be thinking of going somewhere else.
While going to the parks seems like a cool thing for those of us who don't have the perk... it doesn't really 'pay the bills' so to speak.

Real quality of life perks is where Disney needs to fix their game if they really want to fix their staffing problems long term
Addressing issues like
- excluding people from FT status (and the associated perks and hours)
- addressing crap like amount of time off the clock needed for your shift
- addressing cast member facilities/food onsite
- addressing PTO limits/absence
- quality of life for parking/etc

Basically the kinds of things that make you feel VALUED as an employee... not just giving out the company's product at a discount. Then on top of that not offering really competitive pay?

Disney is making baby steps in some areas (like their 'power days' giving people some days off)... but overall Disney still demands A LOT of their staff for what they pay them.. and certainly are not catering to their staff in terms of great places to work. Disney still has the posture of them holding the upper hand, and that people should feel privileged to work for TWDC. For the rank and file... they still sacrifice a ton for that 'privilege' -- and why many came too and didn't return.

And why Disney got so exposed when their sources of discounted labor like elderly, students, and imports all got constrained. They aren't really attracting people in a competitive labor market.

Lilofan

While going to the parks seems like a cool thing for those of us who don't have the perk... it doesn't really 'pay the bills' so to speak.

Real quality of life perks is where Disney needs to fix their game if they really want to fix their staffing problems long term
Addressing issues like
- excluding people from FT status (and the associated perks and hours)
- addressing crap like amount of time off the clock needed for your shift
- addressing cast member facilities/food onsite
- addressing PTO limits/absence
- quality of life for parking/etc

Basically the kinds of things that make you feel VALUED as an employee... not just giving out the company's product at a discount. Then on top of that not offering really competitive pay?

Disney is making baby steps in some areas (like their 'power days' giving people some days off)... but overall Disney still demands A LOT of their staff for what they pay them.. and certainly are not catering to their staff in terms of great places to work. Disney still has the posture of them holding the upper hand, and that people should feel privileged to work for TWDC. For the rank and file... they still sacrifice a ton for that 'privilege' -- and why many came too and didn't return.

And why Disney got so exposed when their sources of discounted labor like elderly, students, and imports all got constrained. They aren't really attracting people in a competitive labor market.
Met an senior citizen CM that loved to work and did not want to stay home. He’s collecting a navy pension after serving 20 years , a supermarket pension after working another 20 years , collecting social security and had worked at DHS in his 60s . That was years ago.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom