Hotelier Ian Schrager working on Disney Hotels.

andysol

If you stay at the Four Seasons you will never be happy with Disney properties again, it's kind of the 'red pill' of hotels ...

Big fan of the JWMarriott at the Grande Lakes Resort. True luxury accommodations at a reasonable rate, complimentary shuttles to all the parks, a lazy river, on site golf, and shared spa with the Ritz. 8 restaurants, 3 lounges, and 24 hour room service.

grande-lake-orlando-2.jpg

Ritz-Carlton on the left. JWMarriott on the right.

Four Seasons being on property I could handle- but I have no desire to stay off property at something like the Marriott. When I can stay at a monorail or epcot/HS property and not have to rely on a shuttle- I place more value on my time, convenience and theming vs luxurious in-room accommodations.
I agree with @PREMiERdrum earlier- their standards should be better than any other offerings in Orlando- on or off-site. But there's still nowhere else I'd rather be. So while you can have room service at midnight and float the lazy river during lunch- I can walk to epcot and swim at stormalong bay. To me- there's no contest between those two based on my priorities.

My other side of the coin is seeing as AKL is one of my home resorts via DVC- I can stay in a room for 9 points (or $58 worth of maintenance points) a night. So if I have to stay where I have to take a shuttle/bus to the resorts- I'll take AKL.
And while we're speaking AKL- that is the best resort on property IMO. Theming to the point of giraffes out your window. Tons of activities (face painting, drums, culinary tours, cultural tours, safari, feeding exhibitions, etc). Two incredible pools/splash areas. And the best and most authentic and variety of food in all of the resorts. I wish everything else was up to that standard- which is how it used to be. Just because resorts are older doesn't mean they have to start looking older.

lentesta

Premium Member
Marriott is the brand of the two hotels being built at Flamingo Crossings, set to open in early 2016. And I think Schrager's last two NYC hotels were in partnership with Marriott. So it's possible he's working on something for FC.

ETA: Clarification on who's brand and who's building.

Disneyhead'71

It's also ugly and boring as hell. Mm sun-stained peach stucco. Just what I'm looking for from an immersive experience.

ETA: I'm sure it's very nice and "luxury" and all that. But a hotel-themed hotel isn't what I'm looking for when I'm at Walt Disney World.
Actually it's theme is heavily influenced by the Italian Rococo style.

100393_l.jpg

Disneyhead'71

If that's your perception then that's fine, but it's not really true. Again there were 8 restuarants with availability within a 10 minute monorail ride. It's been demonstrated numerous times that FP+ are usually available day of for most of the major attractions.

If by impulse choice you mean "what I want to do when I want to do it without any planning" that's true, but I don't think that's ever been the case.

With that said, I do agree that a nice perk to staying in a hotel would be priority access to reservations to the restaurants onsite.

Yes, and with your view you can survey the dilapidated neighborhoods of John Young Parkway. You can pass the time on your balcony counting the number of house that still have tarps covering them from Hurricane Charley.
And my last stay at Disney I had a parking lot view for $630/night. I'll take this for $199/night through Priceline.
presidential-suite-bathroom.jpg

CDavid

Actually it's theme is heavily influenced by the Italian Rococo style.

100393_l.jpg

Yes, indeed, I can see why people would find this ugly and boring. :banghead:

No offense @CaptainAmerica , but uh, I respectfully suggest that you may need glasses. Badly.

But a hotel-themed hotel isn't what I'm looking for when I'm at Walt Disney World.

Some of Walt Disney World's own "resorts" (value) aren't actually themed either (and its debatable with Bay Lake Tower).

jakeman

And my last stay at Disney I had a parking lot view for $630/night. I'll take this for $199/night through Priceline.
Both have their plusses and minuses and value is subjective. Just providing a counterpoint to the choice aerial view that was chosen.

Some people prefer to be close to the parks. Some people prefer to be close to a Beeperz-N-Phonez store. :D

Personally, I wouldn't stay on property for $600 nor would I stay on John Young for $200.

Otterhead

For a luxury resort, I'd at least hope they could keep flowers from falling into your bathtub! What a mess. ;)

It's a very nice resort. But for me, the convenience, amenities, and theming available at on-site resorts is worth it. Plus early access to reservations, Extra Magic Hours, etc. And yes, there's a shuttle, but I've had really, really lousy experiences with hotel shuttles to the parks. Some of my travel companions this last trip stayed at a nearby resort offsite (for free, with airline miles) but their shuttle only had two trips a day -- one at 9am and one at 9pm.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
I'm still wondering how you paid $630/night in 2006 at the Poly, when rates today for a Standard View run about $450 for full rack rate with no discounts. I thought everybody was saying that prices have skyrocketed the last several years, but apparently the Poly is cheaper?!?!? How does that work? :confused:

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
For a luxury resort, I'd at least hope they could keep flowers from falling into your bathtub! What a mess. ;)

It's a very nice resort. But for me, the convenience, amenities, and theming available at on-site resorts is worth it. Plus early access to reservations, Extra Magic Hours, etc. And yes, there's a shuttle, but I've had really, really lousy experiences with hotel shuttles to the parks. Some of my travel companions this last trip stayed at a nearby resort offsite (for free, with airline miles) but their shuttle only had two trips a day -- one at 9am and one at 9pm.
And that is only ONE of the many reasons why we will never stay off-site. And I DON'T want to hear about renting a car. I don't go to Disney to drive. I drive at home. We always take Disney transportation, even if we drive to the resort, because I am on vacation. I know that is only us, and I don't care if someone else wants to stay off-site. More power to ya if that's what you want!

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Its easy- you take your hotel rate + everything you charged to your room (i.e. food & merchandise), then you divide that number by the nights stayed. $630/night. Duh :joyfull:
I know you're kidding, but he never mentioned any room charges, and to add in something like that and say it cost that much per day is a flat out misrepresentation and a lie.

CaptainAmerica

I'm still wondering how you paid $630/night in 2006 at the Poly, when rates today for a Standard View run about $450 for full rack rate with no discounts. I thought everybody was saying that prices have skyrocketed the last several years, but apparently the Poly is cheaper?!?!? How does that work? :confused:
It was probably one night club level on Christmas eve or some nonsense like that.

andysol

For what it's worth, here's the photo from TripAdvisor of the Executive Suite at the JM Marriott. It's.... fine, I guess? Not really $199/night fine, but...?
executive-suite-jw-marriott-orlan.jpg

Ive stayed at Marriotts all across the country. They are average- and plenty have run down/dirty bathrooms, baseboard, carpet, etc. But I dont care when I'm there because, well, it's a marriott.
I get the complaint that Disney should be maintained to be perfect examples of top-tier resorts. And they aren't maintained as well as they should. And that's, honestly, a valid complaint on several resorts- particularly that nasty All-Star Movie standard Value room I stayed at the one time (and only time ever again). Granted- they have a lot more people in each room and small kids- so wear and tear will happen faster- but the high prices should dictate better maintenance. I'm completely in agreement there.

See that? That's a valid complaint without having to stretch facts and truths- and over-exaggerate to the point of lunacy. Over-exaggerators are either delusional or trolling. Either way, I don't take their posts seriously.

Otterhead

Looks like the typical white sheets that I have seen at every Marriott property I have ever stayed at (pretty much all of them, including a few nights at a J.W.).
Quite honestly, despite the extra pillows, it doesn't look that much different than the Red Roof Inn I stayed in last month for $40.

Versus (outside the window? Giraffes):
602436_67_z.jpg

Disneyhead'71

The Poly IS cheaper now because of the refurb.

Disneyhead'71

For what it's worth, here's the photo from TripAdvisor of the Executive Suite at the JM Marriott. It's.... fine, I guess? Not really $199/night fine, but...?
executive-suite-jw-marriott-orlan.jpg
Umm, this is an Executive Suite at the JW Marriott. And is a lot more than $199/night.
mcojw_phototour93.jpg

r_exe_1.jpg

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom