Hotelier Ian Schrager working on Disney Hotels.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
That 89% is an average of all the WDW resorts combined. Only a simpleton would assume that numbers means all the resorts were at 89%.
True enough, but people here reported that all deluxe resorts were doing that badly, and there is no way that the moderates and values can make up for that kind of loss. Only a simpleton would also assume that the values and moderates were at 100% during that time.

A quick check shows that out of the approx. 29,000 hotel rooms at Disney, almost 5,800 of them are deluxe. That means that only approx. 2300 were inhabited for a 40% rate. I seriously doubt that is true. That means that the moderates and values would have had to be at well above 90% occupancy for the numbers to work. If that were the case, don't you think Disney would have been yelling that to the rafters?

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
Dont forget that there are 30,469 on site hotel rooms, and double that off site so that would mean even with 89% filled thats 3,351 empty rooms!
Yes, but according to him, all of them had to be deluxes, if you look at the resort as whole to get to that number.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
I love how criticism of DIsney's current policies is 'Anti-Disney' and unquestioning acceptance of TWDC PR talking points is 'Pro-Disney',

What many of us want is a return to the standards Disney set for THEMSELVES!!!

dumboflyer

I love how criticism of DIsney's current policies is 'Anti-Disney' and unquestioning acceptance of TWDC PR talking points is 'Pro-Disney'

Excellent hair-splitting.
Acceptance = pro
TWDC = Disney
This is how I got to the term "Pro-Disney".

I'm not saying that everyone who agrees with "the current policies, actions, procedures, and all other behaviors of the Walt Disney Company, its subsidiaries, assigns, partnerships, etc." is absolutely correct. They are not. Nor are they absolutely wrong.
I'm not saying that everyone who disagrees with "the current policies, actions, procedures, and all other behaviors of the Walt Disney Company, its subsidiaries, assigns, partnerships, etc." is absolutely correct. They are not. Nor are they absolutely wrong.

I'm just pointing out that most of these threads turn into bickering. And just like that friend couple who is constantly bickering when in a group of people, it's not always very fun to be around.

I am not taking a side. I am simply lamenting the fact that, back when I joined in 2004, the wdwmagic forums were a much different place.

Disneyhead'71

Anyone else remember a time on these forums when this topic would have simply yielded a discussion speculating whether Schrager's involvement would be Disney or not, and what theme or location or restaurants or whatever such hotel would feature?

Sadly this, like many forum posts of any substance around here, quickly degraded into a pro-Disney vs anti-Disney argument that overshadows the original point of the post.

Yes I know you can split hairs about not being really anti-Disney ("I'm comparing to old Disney", "I love them and wish they were better", "They are great but Uni has caught and surpassed them", "I don't really hate Disney, I just like trolling", etc.) But I can think of no other topical news website whose forums are this full of commentary so critical of the site's theme.
That's a good point. My original comment was that I would love to see this guy get ahold of The Contemporary. Not that the Contemporary now is lacking, but I think this guy could make it something really special.

I also think that if this is concerning the FC Marriott properties, I just became more interested in FC.

Disneyhead'71

True enough, but people here reported that all deluxe resorts were doing that badly, and there is no way that the moderates and values can make up for that kind of loss. Only a simpleton would also assume that the values and moderates were at 100% during that time.

A quick check shows that out of the approx. 29,000 hotel rooms at Disney, almost 5,800 of them are deluxe. That means that only approx. 2300 were inhabited for a 40% rate. I seriously doubt that is true. That means that the moderates and values would have had to be at well above 90% occupancy for the numbers to work. If that were the case, don't you think Disney would have been yelling that to the rafters?
No, I think they would start converting them to timeshares.

See: The Polynesian Village Resort and soon The Wilderness Lodge.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Excellent hair-splitting.
Acceptance = pro
TWDC = Disney
This is how I got to the term "Pro-Disney".

I'm not saying that everyone who agrees with "the current policies, actions, procedures, and all other behaviors of the Walt Disney Company, its subsidiaries, assigns, partnerships, etc." is absolutely correct. They are not. Nor are they absolutely wrong.
I'm not saying that everyone who disagrees with "the current policies, actions, procedures, and all other behaviors of the Walt Disney Company, its subsidiaries, assigns, partnerships, etc." is absolutely correct. They are not. Nor are they absolutely wrong.

I'm just pointing out that most of these threads turn into bickering. And just like that friend couple who is constantly bickering when in a group of people, it's not always very fun to be around.

I am not taking a side. I am simply lamenting the fact that, back when I joined in 2004, the wdwmagic forums were a much different place.

WDW was a much different place too then as WDW had not started the endless cycle of cuts and price increases we've seen since 2006, There were annual celebrations which meant something not 'What Will You Celebrate' and 'Show your Disney Side' with the kids who looked like something out of 'Village of the Dammed'.

Disneyhead'71

Yup :)

I'd love to see an increase in quality- particularly in the values and deluxes. Moderates seem like they've been the best taken care of for their tier.

I'm also curious if they look at the contemporary and ever finalize those bay lake expansion plans after the VWL room conversions. It fits this gentlemans repertoire.
Seeing as VWL resort (rooms, DVC rooms, pool, etc) all just got remodeled- that will be an extremely quick conversion. Unless they just build new buildings entirely.
I believe they will converting almost half of the WL's main building rooms to timeshares. That fact doesn't scream 89% OccRate to me.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
I believe they will converting almost half of the WL's main building rooms to timeshares. That fact doesn't scream 89% OccRate to me.
The "rumor" has Disney converting about 300 of the 728 rooms. My guess is these:
VWL.jpg

If they do the over water bungalows, I would imagine them going in along the beach right in front of the current DVC building.

And I don't necessarily agree that low occupancy there is the reason. Many DVC owners, such as myself, have asked for more availability there over the years. It really is almost impossible to get in at 7 months during a large part of the year. Heck, we got into the VGF easier than we could into VWL! THAT may be a good part of the reason for the expanded DVC presence as well.

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
I'm a VWL owner and I seems like there's always availability around 7 months excluding the Christmastime months.

Regardless of that- I highly doubt we'd have access to the new rooms @ 11 mos. They'll likely just be a newly named resort with a 50 yr exp date
I check all the time, and it isn't as rosy at 7 months when we go - March, May, October, and early December. We don't go for only a few days, but at least a week, so maybe that has something to do with it as well.

OvertheHorizon

I've posted elsewhere about this, but I would like to see WDW add a Star Wars-themed luxury hotel. The imagineers could have lots of design fun with that project. Off hand, I could picture the architecture of Naboo or perhaps a "City in the Clouds" look.

I've seen mention of a cantina as a part of a projected new Star Wars land at DHS, but it would be a better option to include a cantina - with adult beverages - at a hotel location that would remain open for late night fun (rather than the typical closing hours of one of the theme parks).

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
I'm a VWL owner and I seems like there's always availability around 7 months excluding the Christmastime months.

Regardless of that- I highly doubt we'd have access to the new rooms @ 11 mos. They'll likely just be a newly named resort with a 50 yr exp date
OK, so I just checked for both November and December at the 7/8 month mark, and there is no single week that has availability for a 7 day period for a studio. They all have days missing that may or may not be available with a waitlist.

Disneyhead'71

Oh, and I do love that someone posted a picture of 1, I repeat, 1 Love Bug @ the J W Marriott to proclaim their crappyness and Disney's superiority. Lord knows there is NEVER, I repeat NEVER!!!!! Love Bugs at WDW.

Hahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom