Hotelier Ian Schrager working on Disney Hotels.

We always think of the two original hotels we have seen sketches of. There may be other doodles or incomplete works Walt had on paper that we may not have seen yet. Probably enough to give this guy a direction anyway.

CDavid

They can always make one look like this...Call it Disney's Magic Motel "Don't expect too much!"
Salton_sea_motel.jpg

How did you get a picture of the All-Star Resorts from the future? Are you The Doctor? :D

cspencer96

nope it opened for the DVC expansion....
Did it open for the expansion, or just around the same time the entirety of the resort was reshuffled and reconfigured? I have never seen anyone blame Bay Lake Tower for that ridiculous store location until now.

Little Green Men

Did it open for the expansion, or just around the same time the entirety of the resort was reshuffled and reconfigured? I have never seen anyone blame Bay Lake Tower for that ridiculous store location until now.
It was there for my first stay in 2007, along with the temporary quick service location where, I believe, Outer Rim is. BLT opened in 2009.

Bocabear

It was during the construction of BLT...during the reshuffling of the resort in preparation for the new DVC...
at the time I was told it was a new store for the DVC expansion...

ThemeParkTraveller

Did Walt ever sketch an old Hollywood themed hotel? Something that would fit nicely into the old Hollywood theme of DHS?

I've always wanted to experience the decadence of 1930s Hollywood...like what we saw in The Rocketeer for example.

i think a deluxe Hollywood-themed hotel would be a wonderful addition. There are already similarly-themed hotels at other Disney resorts.

TDR- Ambassador Hotel
Ambassador%20Hotel.jpg

other_tpimg.jpg

HKDL- Hollywood Hotel
hongKongDisneyland07.jpg

latdis_r142105529075541599_big.jpg

Jensspark

This part of the article was pretty interesting to me:

"The Manhattan Edition follows the opening of Edition brand hotels in London, Istanbul and Miami’s South Beach, which are run in partnership with Marriott International."

Maybe part of the Marriott involvement with Flamingo Crossings?

matt9112

How dare (insert social class here) be able to have a place to stay when they travel. Everyone should have to stay in the same quality of accomidations for fairness!

its cool you guys can stay in your fortresses....but were still going to stick gum under the railings and let children run wild all over your shoes....oh man those look pricey too...and oh i cant wait till we pack in that monorail....between me and edwardo we got like a party of 40....6

nothing wrong with fancy hotels but honestly not worth current rates....i mean even if your rich you are lighting money on fire. even moderate resorts are laughable. ironicly the value i think are the only ones with pricing that matches resorts.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
nothing wrong with fancy hotels but honestly not worth current rates....i mean even if your rich you are lighting money on fire. even moderate resorts are laughable. ironicly the value i think are the only ones with pricing that matches resorts.
So what does it matter what others spend their money on? If I can't question why people on social assistance have nice and shiny Beats by Dr Dre or iPhone 6Plus without being accused of being judgemental shouldn't that carp swim both directions?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Truly the maintenance at BLT is pretty bad...so I would agree...they are valid criticisms..Last year our Grand Villa was quite run-down looking. I don't know if everyone thrashes their hotel rooms when on vacation, but it always looks like that. They do keep them clean, but the condition of the furnishings et-al always leave a little to be desired. We are staying at the Poly Bora Bora Bungalows this year... will be interesting to see if they are as beat up...
And beyond that, I have stayed at the Grand Floridian, The Contemporary... The Boardwalk...all of Disney's premium hotels, and have always found them to be substandard to their real world counterparts (outside of Disney) I guarantee you the at room at the Four Seasons or Waldorf Astoria will be much nicer in their appointments than any Disney hotel... I was shocked at the Grand Floridian in a Concierge level room to have cheap bedding and towels...Certainly for that price they are charging, they could do much better....maybe a Hotelier would bring them up to speed...

EXACTLY my point on the deluxe resorts which used to be amazing in quality yet are no longer and while the property is the same the details have suffered, The battered furniture, cheap bedding and towels and dirty paint and torn wallpaper.

matt9112

So what does it matter what others spend their money on? If I can't question why people on social assistance have nice and shiny Beats by Dr Dre or iPhone 6Plus without being accused of being judgemental shouldn't that carp swim both directions?

i don't care i was merely pointing out the fact that staying at a deluxe at rack rate now is lighting money on fire. that is all.

DGracey

Time will tell what happens, but there's a huge difference between this guy working on a project for Disney, or working on a project at Disney.

The current crop at TDO seem to enjoy the simplicity of farming it out and just leasing the valuable land these days (another Four Seasons anyone?), which is sad. Disney's best stuff has always been internal. A new Disney resort on Seven Seas Lagoon could be fun. But a new resort leased out to a Marriott or other chain on Disney property? Not so much ...

WDW1974

So, folks are getting 'news' from a gossip column blurb in the NY Freaking Post?!!

Seriously, you'd be better getting your Disney news from virtually any online blogger/podcaster/Lifestyler.

What I got from this blurb was Schrager is hard up for cash and would like to work for Disney.

The idea that he is going to or that Disney is planning new hotels for both WDW and DLR is flat out untrue. As is the notion that someone of his skill set would be a good fit for Disney's hotel chain. As is the idea that Walt ever planned/sketched actual hotel concepts (doncha think you would have seen that artwork over the last 40-plus years since he died?)

In other words, you are all getting excited over nothing.

And while I'd love to join the thread further and explain yet again why Disney's resort rooms, standards and service are in no way near what you get at a typical airport Marriott, I've largely found that an effort in futility to folks addicted to the BRAND.

On to more important threads/topics.

lazyboy97o

Hotels for Disney based off Walt Disney's own sketches. Wouldn't that include the Asian and Persian resort that was originally planned for 7 Seas Lagoon.

Is the occupancy rate at the Deluxe resorts even high enough to justify a new Deluxe? Why do I feel like we have an exclusive DVC only resort coming soon.

The article states it's based off of some of Walt's hotel sketches. For WDW, this would have been an Asian and Venetian themed resort on the Seven Seas Lagoon and a Persian resort on Bay Lake. What's even more interesting is that he already has hotels in development for Sanya (China), Bangkok (Thailand), Gurgaon (India), Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates) and Shanghai (China), with an existing hotel already built in Istanbul (Turkey). Sounds like he would bring a lot of experience and knowledge to the table in regards to at least the Asian and Persian themes. I still think there is potential for another Magic Kingdom resort around the 7 Seas Lagoon. The original Venetian site between TTC and Contemporary would be my first choice, but if you look at Google Earth, there is also a lot of potential between MK and the Grand Floridian.
Walt Disney was quite dead by the time Walt Disney World Phase 1 was being designed. There are also no references to Walt being the type who would sketch out ideas.

Nmoody1

i have to say, as a flight attendant for an international airline, i stay in hotels at least once a week. i also stay at Dis ey reguarly. when i want just a room for one night i will stay at an a star (its a bed - thats all i need). if i am on vacation i'll stay at a moderate resort - usuakly POFQ or CBR so i can upgrade to a king bed (im 6"3', i need to spread out). on occasions i have stayed at deluxe resorts and DVC resorts.

my general observation is Dianey hotel rooms are very generic - most are the same size, they all have the same tv, they all have the same towels, they all have the same sheets. compare this to a Mariott and a JW Mariott or a Sheraton and a Westin. Thats esentially what we are looking at here. a JW bed and a Westin bed have superior linens.

i stayed at AKL in March. same shower as an All Star... shouldnt there be a heavenly shower or a deeper tub?

On the subject of dining, Disney has dumbed this down so much that i wont talk to much (it deserves a whole other thread), but I'd expect the deluxe resorts to have a coffee shop seperate to QSR locations - like most hotels have a starbucks concession these days.

plateware - i am all for themed plateware. anyone that says it doesnt matter, it does. Do a Disney cruise - each restaurant has its own design plates - when you are paying high end prices, plateware is important. it adds to the experience. dining should be an experience ... not sonething you rush whilst your three year old plays on an ipad and you constantly check your phone just to see if a fastpass comes up for the mine train tomorrow.

basics like water in your room - missing from Disneys budget hotels... yet for the same price you can stay in a hugher star property in Lake Buena Vista and have water every day.

Disney has not only dumbed down its hotels but it does not provide a great service when compared to competitors in the real world.

CaptainAmerica

On the subject of dining, Disney has dumbed this down so much that i wont talk to much (it deserves a whole other thread), but I'd expect the deluxe resorts to have a coffee shop seperate to QSR locations - like most hotels have a starbucks concession these days.
I'm sorry but this is, frankly, ridiculous. Most hotels, even the nice ones, have maybe one restaurant and a bar. That's it. Compare that to three fine dining locations at the Grand, a fine dining location on the roof at the Contemporary, an African buffet and African fine dining at DAK Lodge, and on and on. PLUS a casual dining location and a quick service location at each of those resorts. If I'm staying at a place with Jiko AND Boma AND Sanaa, AND The Mara, I'm supposed to be upset about a dumbed down dining experience because there's no stand alone Starbucks? Tell me, at what Marriott can I get African stew at a counter service location? Oh, none of them? Got it. Which one serves a family style "canyon skillet" with in-character wait staff who bust your chops during the meal? Oh that's only at Wilderness Lodge? Got it. What a ridiculous suggestion to complain about the dumbing down of dining at Disney resorts while in the same breath wishing for greater access to Starbucks. Starbucks IS the dumbing down of our dining experiences, not just at Disney but all over the world.

Disney has not only dumbed down its hotels but it does not provide a great service when compared to competitors in the real world.
Some swanky hotel in New York is not a competitor to Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom