HOT INFO! Timekeeper to be Monster's Inc. Stage Show (pics!)

speck76

imagineer boy said:
I still really don't like this. I don't care what people say, but Monsters Inc just won't work! :brick: First of all, it will only slam more nails into the coffin of Tomorrowland's original theme. Second, Monster's Inc is not sci-fi, which Tomorrowland is based on. I've always thought that Monsters Inc was more fantasy ( wouldn't work in fantasyland though, because Fantasey land has the European setting in which a Monsters Inc. ride would be even more painfully out of place ). I still don't understand why they just can't put it in the freakin' studios! Its in desperate need for more rides, while it has so much empty space like the Super star television or some of the empty, useless sound stages. Its just makeing me so mad!!!! :brick:

who (except a very few fans) really cares about the theme of the lands?

If land theming needs to be so strict, Splash Mountain is the biggest sore thumb at the MK.

Starman1128

speck76 said:
This is a pretty short-sighted opinion. Pixar is Disney.....it is no different than having shows and attractions based on Peter Pan, The Little Mermaid, or Aladdin.

At least it has some kind of relation to Disney, unlike Star Tours, and Indian Jones.

They still have no place in Tomorrowland. Splash Mountain works because it blends in with Country Bear Jamboree and Pecos Bill and besides its not a blatant tie-in. and if your going to pull the "nobody really cares about themeing argument" then you obviously don't appricate the things that make the Disney Parks so magical.

Computer Magic

speck76 said:
This is a pretty short-sighted opinion. Pixar is Disney.....it is no different than having shows and attractions based on Peter Pan, The Little Mermaid, or Aladdin.

At least it has some kind of relation to Disney, unlike Star Tours, and Indian Jones.
People seem to divide 2D and 3D films when it comes to attractions. It's okay for all 2D movies to become attractions but not 3D movies to become attractions.

Soon it will not matter because Disney and Pixar will be the same.

speck76

Starman1128 said:
They still have no place in Tomorrowland. Splash Mountain works because it blends in with Country Bear Jamboree and Pecos Bill and besides its not a blatant tie-in. and if your going to pull the "nobody really cares about themeing argument" then you obviously don't appricate the things that make the Disney Parks so magical.
neither does anything else that is in Tomorrowland.....yet the park still packs in the crowds.....which makes me think the land theming is quite inconsequential to the general population.

Starman1128

speck76 said:
neither does anything else that is in Tomorrowland.....yet the park still packs in the crowds.....which makes me think the land theming is quite inconsequential to the general population.

Wrong. Everything else made sense theming wise in Tomorrowland as of the 1994 redo:

Space Mountain - Space Travel

Timekeeper - Time Travel

Alien Encounter - Teleportation

TTA - Futuristic Mass Transit

Astro Orbiter - Again reitirating the theme of space travel/space port

Buzz Lightyear - A tie-in but at least its sci-fi like a goofy Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers type charecter.

Carousel of Progress - Symbolizes how we continue through progress over time.

Indy Speedway - Represents that the children of today will be driving cars in the future.

Just admit that Disney realizes that Pixar was the only thing they had going for awhile and they want to continue to take over existing attractions and add a pixar overlay just so they can have another cheap tie-in to there cash cow pixar. Disney may be able to fool you...but they wont be able to fool me.

And you know, I wouldnt be surprised if not only Timekeeper becomes a Monsters Inc. show...but we also get ANOTHER monsters inc. ride at the Studios just because its pixar. You won't see this kind of love for Disney's own movies (where's the little mermaid and beauty and the beast rides? how about a Cinderella dark ride?), you wont see this love for Narnia which has made over $700 million worldwide and is expected to grow into a LOTR and harry potter sized franchise, and you won't see the love for Star Wars (the biggest cash cow of all time). I hope that these projects were greenlit under Eisner because I expect better from new management.

peter11435

Starman1128 said:
Indy Speedway - Represents that the children of today will be driving cars in the future.

That’s what I call a super stretch.

The fact is that Cop, the speedway, the skyway, dreamflight, and If you had wings never fit the theme of the land.

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
which makes me think the land theming is quite inconsequential to the general population.

I think it is for most fans too. Tomorrowland is the exception because so many WDW fans fell in love with the 94 rehab that really tied everything together and gave the land some unity. And as far as I'm concerned, the New Tomorrowland went away after the last Timekeeper show ended and those doors closed. Unfortunately the land still looks the same, which is probably why some still hold on to that era of the Magic Kingdom. When I walk into Tomorrowland now, I have no special feelings anymore and no sense of attachment. It's just another MK land now, and that's probably the best thing Disney can do at this point. And land themeing has never been that important, IMO, to any of the other lands as long as the attraction or addition doesn't feel out of place.

Starman1128

peter11435 said:
That’s what I call a super stretch.

The fact is that Cop, the speedway, the skyway, dreamflight, and If you had wings never fit the theme of the land.

COP and Dreamflight did for sure. They show how we progress and advance through time and end by showing us what is too come in the future and before you start no Virtual Reality Video Game consoles and talking Microwaves don't exist yet.

peter11435

Starman1128 said:
You won't see this kind of love for Disney's own movies (where's the little mermaid and beauty and the beast rides? how about a Cinderella dark ride?), you wont see this love for Narnia which has made over $700 million worldwide and is expected to grow into a LOTR and harry potter sized franchise, and you won't see the love for Star Wars (the biggest cash cow of all time). I hope that these projects were greenlit under Eisner because I expect better from new management.

Thats absurd. If a Disney film was as successful as the Pixar films have been you WOULD see this same type of "love." At one time WDW was home to THREE "Lion King" attractions and a Lion King float in the daily parade.

Buford

I'll argue that COP is really what TL is all about - progressing through time with the future of technologies for the family unit. I guess it's like Spaceship Earth fits in Future World - looking at tomorrow, based on the progress we've seen from yesterday! COP is outdated, yeah!, so it definitely needs change.

Oh, another hint is the lyrics of the song. "There's a great big beautiful today..." no wait.."yesterday?" no... hmm...what is it again? :D :D

I think the same concept held true for Dreamflight, as that "travelled into the future of flight".

peter11435

Starman1128 said:
COP and Dreamflight did for sure. They show how we progress and advance through time and end by showing us what is too come in the future and before you start no Virtual Reality Video Game consoles and talking Microwaves don't exist yet.
Its called "TOMORROWland." Not "the-past-with-a-little-bit-of-tomorrowland."

COP and Dreamflight never really fit into tomorrowland. The only reason they semi-fit was because WDI made them fit just like they will the Monsters attraction.

speck76

Starman1128 said:
Wrong. Everything else made sense theming wise in Tomorrowland as of the 1994 redo:

Space Mountain - Space Travel

How is space travel futuristic? Humans have been traveling is space for over 40 years.

Starman1128 said:
Timekeeper - Time Travel

Sci-fi / Fantasy, not "futuristic"

Starman1128 said:
Alien Encounter - Teleportation

Sci-fi / Fantasy, not "futuristic"

Starman1128 said:
TTA - Futuristic Mass Transit

Mass transit has been around for over 100 years, as for being "futuristic mass transit", that is a major stretch

Starman1128 said:
Astro Orbiter - Again reitirating the theme of space travel/space port

Again, space travel is not futuristic.....

Starman1128 said:
Buzz Lightyear - A tie-in but at least its sci-fi like a goofy Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers type charecter.

Not part of the mid-90's redo, but again sci-fi/ fantasy

Starman1128 said:
Carousel of Progress - Symbolizes how we continue through progress over time.

The history of progress.....again....nothing "tomorrow" about it

Starman1128 said:

MAJOR stretch....there is nothing futuristic about the Indy Speedway......perhaps if it was even tryign to be futuristic, they would not have called it the Indy Speedway, but Autopia, or something along that nature.

Starman1128 said:
Just admit that Disney realizes that Pixar was the only thing they had going for awhile and they want to continue to take over existing attractions and add a pixar overlay just so they can have another cheap tie-in to there cash cow pixar. Disney may be able to fool you...but they wont be able to fool me.

Disney is doing nothing that they have not been doing since hte first park was built. Attractions have been continuously changed over time to represent recent movies....the only difference is that the movies now are Disney/Pixar, not WDFA.

speck76

Starman1128 said:

so if they add a talking microwave to the Monster's Inc attraction, it will be futuristic?

Buford

peter11435 said:
Its called "TOMORROWland." Not "the-past-with-a-little-bit-of-tomorrowland."

COP and Dreamflight never really fit into tomorrowland. The only reason they semi-fit was because WDI made them fit just like they will the Monsters attraction.
I see what you mean but I guess it's always been a Disney tradition. Just like COP & Timekeeper used the "understand the future by seeing how today is yesterday's tomorrow," so did Future World (Motion, Horizons, SSE). Just a thought :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom