HOT INFO! Timekeeper to be Monster's Inc. Stage Show (pics!)

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Mike: Sulley, you're not supposed to name it. Once you name it, you start getting attached to it. Now put that thing back where it came from or so help me...
[Mike pauses, realizing that they suddenly have the attention of the entire scare floor]
Mike: Oh, hey. We're rehearsing a - a scene for the upcoming company play called uh, Put That Thing Back Where It Came From Or So Help Me. It's a musical.
[singing]
Mike: Put that thing back where it came from or so help me... so help me, so help me and cut. We're still working on it, it's a work in progress but, hey, we need ushers.

CoffeeJedi

imagineer boy said:
Sure, but IMO it would fit ALOT better there than tomorrowland. They managed to make it fit in the hollywood stuios backlot section of DCA.

Here's the thing, Tomorrowland's theme in general is a dream of the future with elements of sci-fi. I don't consider Monsters Inc to be sci-fi or futuristic in general. Sure, they have advanced technology, but other than that, that's it. When one average person thinks of sci-fi, they associate things dealing with space travel, aliens, and futuristic cities. I've considered Monsters Inc to be more fantasey than sci-fi. The whole idea in general of children being afraid of monsters in their closets is very fantasey-like. Plus the monsters themselves are very whimsical and colorful, which also makes them feel a little more out of place in tomorrowland. And another thing I've stated before, the movie of Monsters Inc takes place in the present. Not the future. So what's it doing in tomorrowland? I know I've heard a few ideas pitched like the possibility of people being teleported to an opposite diminsion where the monsters live, but if you ask me, that would be very far fetched, and it would confuse the average visitor even more. I really do have faith in the imagineers, I really do, but I've looked at this from all angles and tried to think of many possibilities, but I just can't see it working! Like I said before, put it in the studios. It atleast somewhat fits the theme there. It would feel alot more at home there.
To me, Monsters Inc. is straight up Science Fiction. They ARE aliens, even if they're from a different dimension, and who's to say that Monsteropolis wasn't just on a different planet anyway? Just because its not set "in the future" doesn't mean its not sci-fi. Stargate is set in the present day, and its definitely sci-fi.

Monsters Inc. is scaled down for kids to understand, but it has all the elements of classic science fiction. An alien race that makes contact with humans, the problems of technology vs society, and the moral implications of that technology, its all there if you think about it.

Pongo

CoffeeJedi said:
Just because its not set "in the future" doesn't mean its not sci-fi.

I think you just killed your own argument right there :lol:

Not that I'm on anyone's "side", but the fact that you said that Monstropolis is not in the future just made it seem that it may not belong in Tommorowland.

:wave:

wannab@dis

Pongo said:
I think you just killed your own argument right there :lol:

Not that I'm on anyone's "side", but the fact that you said that Monstropolis is not in the future just made it seem that it may not belong in Tommorowland.

That was only concerning sci-fi... Imagineer Boy was trying to make the argument that if it's not "sci-fi" it shouldn't be there.

Most things in TL are not futuristic....
Think about... space travel... we do it all the time
CoP... VERY little about the future
Indy... :veryconfu

Monsters Inc belongs in Tomorrowland just as much as most of the attractions that are there now or have been there previously. ;)

Pongo

wannab@dis said:
That was only concerning sci-fi... Imagineer Boy was trying to make the argument that if it's not "sci-fi" it shouldn't be there.

Most things in TL are not futuristic....
Think about... space travel... we do it all the time
CoP... VERY little about the future
Indy... :veryconfu

Monsters Inc belongs in Tomorrowland just as much as most of the attractions that are there now or have been there previously. ;)

(Psst... I said I'm not on any "side". I don't need any suasion :wave: :D Just thought I'd point out the mistake.)

speck76

gee....a movie about a bunch of monsters interacting with a human....I am not sure how that is not sci-fi

science fiction
n.
A literary or cinematic genre in which fantasy, typically based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments, environmental changes, space travel, or life on other planets, forms part of the plot or background.

Monsters Inc is a fantasy, and it involves life on other planets (Earth) and a scientific discovery (laughter is a better source of energy than fear)

The above definition would also justify SGE being in Tomorrowland.

Captain Chaos

wannab@dis said:
The key here is... your opinion. You've stated it several times and I think we're all aware of it. While I understand your claims, I think the fact remains that they're fairly baseless. Most of the attractions in MK were/are based on movies. Many attractions in TL over the decades have had little to do with "Tomorrow". No matter how you break it down, Monsters has just as much place there as AE, Dreamflight, TK, TTA, Indy, CoP, etc... (we could continue naming several attractions.)

I understand that you want everything in TL to fit "your" idea of the theming, but you haven't yet been able to explain the faults of many attractions lacking a truly tight connection to TL.

Um, I KNOW I've seen you claim before that Sci-Fi wasn't supposed to be part of TL theme. :veryconfu

The majority of CoP is a look at yesterday, yet you argue that it has it's place because it also "looks towards tomorrow." However, most scenes dwell on the PAST. Now, I could easily argue that MI has many qualities that deal with futuristic ideals. Creating energy, transporting between dimensions, technology, etc.

In other words, we each can attempt to back our claims... in the end, it comes down to which claim has more merit? I'm not going to claim that my view is totally correct, but we can let others decide and chime in for themselves. Personally, I believe the facts based on past/current attractions and the primary focus of the movie tend to tip the scale. :king:

In the end, it does not come down to our claims.. it comes down to Imagineering making the decision if it fits in Tomorrowland or not.. And if this is the attraction replacing Timekeeper then obviously they seem to think it fits. And I trust Imagineering enough for them to make it fit.

wannab@dis

dxer07002 said:
In the end, it does not come down to our claims.. it comes down to Imagineering making the decision if it fits in Tomorrowland or not.. And if this is the attraction replacing Timekeeper then obviously they seem to think it fits. And I trust Imagineering enough for them to make it fit.
I agree! :wave:

freaklarm

It is always sad when we have to say "good bye" to those attractions that had some kind of impact on us. But changes are necesary, specially in business, in order keep the clientele (in Disney = guests) coming back year after year and stay competitve. I am always up for changes, either positives or negatives, because we learned and get better from them no matter what, and with the amaizing source of creativity in Disney I'm pretty sure they will come up with yet another great attraction for all of us to enjoy and critizise. But I think we should give them a chance to build whatever thay are planning for this prime piece of "real estate", that has been so under-utilized for many years, and then judge. Meanwhile, lets enjoy the memories of the magic lived on those now gone attractions and start getting excited that soon the Imagineers are going to delight us with a new experience, fruit of long hours of brainstorming on what could be good, storyline making and hard work.

CoffeeJedi

dxer07002 said:
shouldn't that be:
"...it comes down to Marketing making the decision..."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom