Horizon's demise

I wouldn't say that Horizons would be dated if it were still open today. All they would have had to do is update the Omnisphere movie with technology from the 90s and the 2000s. They could've also made newer ride ending videos with today's better movie technology.

I also wouldn't say that its utterly impossible to rebuild Horizons - all we need is an extremely rich Horizons fan who would wheel and deal with Disney until the ride was rebuilt. Of course, said fan would be a pauper afterwards, but what Horizons fan wouldn't make that sacrifice? ;)

EPCOT Explorer

I wouldn't say that Horizons would be dated if it were still open today. All they would have had to do is update the Omnisphere movie with technology from the 90s and the 2000s. They could've also made newer ride ending videos with today's better movie technology.

I also wouldn't say that its utterly impossible to rebuild Horizons - all we need is an extremely rich Horizons fan who would wheel and deal with Disney until the ride was rebuilt. Of course, said fan would be a pauper afterwards, but what Horizons fan wouldn't make that sacrifice? ;)

If we can dream it, we can do it.:cool:

the-reason14

I think the answer is simple. the 21st Century is here.

That is so true. Its been several years now into the 21st century and all the stuff on Horizons hasnt happend yet. We dont live in space or under the sea, yea I think its possible, but its not whats happening as showcased in teh ride. So they would have either had to update it, or just completely get rid of it, which I think getting rid of it would have been what they would have done, so maybe its good that they did then, instead of looking at a dated Horizons now. Look at Cop, its dated. The whole new century is what we are living in now.

But I still think that they could have built M:S where WoL is. Wol isnt even being used anymore other than special events, which is a downgrade to what it once was, so its really not being used anymore like it should be. I think that during the time that they decided to close Horizons, WoL was still thriving. But, I think if they had built M:S there, and left Horizons in the middle of TT and M:S, then it would have increased attendance at Horizons. Some people would have probably packed in there to wait for their fp for either TT or M:S or something.

So ultimately I think that they could have avoided getting rid of this very beloved attraction, but like someone else said the change into the 21st century would really have given the pavilion less meaining.

Pirate665

Oh man... the wound is reopened...

Yes I miss Horizons, but in all, the M:S attractions did boost EPCOT and it's welcomed to stay....

If I had the money though, I'd foot the bill to rebuild Horizons.

>Steve
P.S.: HEY MARINI!

Kingdom WDW

It all comes down to money. WoM met it's demise only to be replaced by an E-ticket that's still drawing large crowds today. Epcot saw Horizons as prime real estate and built another killer E-ticket that will follow the same popularity path as Test Track. Money/sponsorship is always the biggest factor.

Horizons, you are sorely missed.

Just wondering...was that intentional?

I never got a chance to go on Horizons, but it sounds so incredibly cool. Soarin' wasn't the first EPCOT ride to have IMAX...:)

The scope and ingenuity of this attraction never fails to put me in awe. Now all I'm left with is an hour long tribute video and a couple hours of Horizons audio...which isn't that bad, actually. ;)

ChrisFL

Premium Member
So if Horizons was designed like the SSE rehab, would we even be satisfied or would we be constantly comparing it to the original

MattyFresh

I miss this ride, just the design of the building when looking down from the monorail. My mom is very afraid of heights, especially when she feels like she is floating. So we used to drag her on this ride just to torment her. She hated the end.

I loved the fact that you could pick you own ending....that should be incorporated somewhere with another ride.

LorangeJuice

Oh wow, the Horizons sinkhole rumor still lives! I remember someone posting about inspectors running for their lives because the building failed inspection so miserably. I don't know when this inspection was supposed to have happened since the building sat there for over a year. Maybe Eisner thought it had failed his inspection for a retrofit. Anyways, the sinkhole rumor gained fuel because of confirmations of sinkholes that were discovered during Epcot's construction. This rumor really gained fuel when pictures form those closely following Horizons' demolition popped up with a rather large hole in the ground with bracing around it. I believe it was a CM from Horizons' glory days who confirmed that a utilidor ran from the GE VIP lounge to Innoventions East for beverage service. Since the service was discontinued in 1993 after GE left, many CMs had forgot the utilidor even existed. This may also be a rumor, but it makes more sense to me than a sinkhole.

The day I saw some of the first M:S construction pics was the day I stopped believing in the sinkhole rumor. I just don't see buliding the foundations for those 4 large centrifuges who knows how many feet into the ground feasable. I may be way off base, but I still think the liability for Disney would be too great for such a complex attraction.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sorry, but Utilidor beverage service? :lol: Never heard that one!! :lol: A true urban myth!

At the end of the day, if someone had come along with a pot of money and said "here Michael, here`s $75 million to bring Horizons upto date" the pavilion would still be here. Space was supposed to sit between Land and Seas. Compaq came along and said "we`ll pay to demolish the building you can`t afford to keep going and we`ll also pay for a new one" and Michael said "Oh. Okay."

Ker-ching into the corporate pot of gold.

LorangeJuice... great name! :wave:

EPCOT Explorer

Sorry, but Utilidor beverage service? :lol: Never heard that one!! :lol: A true urban myth!

At the end of the day, if someone had come along with a pot of money and said "here Michael, here`s $75 million to bring Horizons upto date" the pavilion would still be here. Space was supposed to sit between Land and Seas. Compaq came along and said "we`ll pay to demolish the building you can`t afford to keep going and we`ll also pay for a new one" and Michael said "Oh. Okay."

Ker-ching into the corporate pot of gold.

LorangeJuice... great name! :wave:

*starts rebuild Horizons fund*

IceGator

Awww...the GE VIP Lounge! I remember going in there when I was like 6 years old. I got to sit in air conditioning and was given a red popsicle. (from a mini-fridge/freezer...not from a secret utilidor ;)) After we were done in there we entered the ride from a different door and got to cut everyone in line. My first FastPass! :lol: Poor Horizons...it had some of my favorite memories of WDW as a kid.

LorangeJuice

Sorry if I wasn't exactly clear about the beverage service. The way I understood it, this mysterious utilidor was used only as a means of stocking the lounge (so that the CMs weren't seen pushing carts in front of guests just like the rest of the utilidors). It was not the actual source for the beverage service there. :lol:

When I have more time, I'll try to search more for the place where I found this information/misinformation. I couldn't have made it up if I tried...well, maybe not. :p

Thanks for the compliment, Martin! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom