Horizons - 25 years old today

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Original Poster
October 1st 1983. An attraction opens that would mean so much to so many. An attraction that would entertain, inform, educate and inspire. An attraction that was the definition of the entire park it was in.

Happy Anniversary Horizons. You were taken before your time.

wIMG_2144.jpg

wIMG_4437.jpg

wIMG_4419.jpg

whorizons_23.jpg

wIMG_4438.jpg

whorizons_8.jpg

horizons_omnispere_during_show.jpg

whorizons_10.jpg

wNova_Cite_Composite_copy.jpg

wIMG_4430.jpg

EPCOT Explorer

Great minds think alike!:lol:I just posted a thread like this...

But yeah, Horizons was the quintessential EPCOT attraction. It plotted every idea in the park and was inspirational to all...

It's missed.:eek:

Kwit35

So sad. :( I miss this ride so much. That ride WAS Disney to me. Nothing else can even compare. I feel so lucky to have been a kid, growing up in Florida. I got to ride Horizons (along with many of EPCOT Centers original rides) over and over again. Horizons is like an old friend that I have not seen in a long time. My memories are a little fuzzy, but so many good memories.
Happy anniversary to my favorite oranges in the world. Happy anniversary Horizons.

dandaman

Any self-respecting Horizons fan should go download Martin's awesome tribute on Mousebits. I barely remember the attraction from the 3 times I went before its time was up, but it still managed to bring tears to my eyes.

hpyhnt 1000

"If we can dream it, then we can do it."

Unfortunately, Martin's video is the closest I've ever come to experienceing this attraction. But even from that, I can see why this attraction meant so much to so many.

A very Happy Birthday, Horizons. Its a shame you're not here for it.

EDIT: In all honesty, I don't think I could have picked a better subject for my 1,000th post. :eek:

diddy_mouse

Happy Birthday Horizons! :cry:

Watching Martin's tribute is such an amazing way to re-kindle those wonderful memories. To me, this was such an amazing attraction that took an honest and an inspired look at a future world that seemed so attainable. I am not sure if I got a chance to ride this, I was very young when we were living in Orlando. But I do know that as an adult I look at this attraction as a definition of EPCOT Center itself.

you are missed Horizons...:eek:

yankspy

There are many things that I miss from WDW but Horizons has to be the one that I miss the most. Happy Birthday.

Without a doubt one of the best ever attractions that WDW ever had. I hate that it is gone, I wish that there was some way it could be brought back.....Thanks Marni for the great pics, and your video. seeing those brings back all the great memories Horizons created.

MojoMax

What can I add......just speachless. The Ultimate Disney Experience Ride for me to this day.......might turn out to be ever. You were the :king:

This is a GREAT POST! My all time favorite ride is Horizons, I do miss it. You might say that my secret goal is to bring back the kind of "wonderment" we all felt riding Horizons. Thanks for this post!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
What can be said that hasn't been said hundreds of times before by those of us lucky enough to experience it in all of its glory.

This was the most inspirational, awe-inspiring, futuristic, yet, realistic...the amount of scientific realism that went into it was obvious. It wasn't a pipe dream or mere fantasy, it was a true portrayal of potential life in the coming decades and centuries...if we as humans wouldn't lose sight of those visions.

Sadly, on so many more levels than the loss we experience when other classics closed, like Mr. Toad or 20,000 Leauges, this meant more as a real testament to the future of technology and ideal living.

Will we ever see anything like it again? It is possible...because if we can dream it we can do it.

Some other people have said that if Disney ever decided to close the Carousel of Progress, then it should be moved to the Smithsonian. I agree with this, and since Horizons is directly related, I think it should also be re-built at the Smithsonian somehow.

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
I went to WDW in 1996 but I didn't ride it for some reason...:brick: Now I wish I had..:( Also missed out on World of Motion...:cry: But I managed to stroll over to WOL and ride Body Wars..:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom