Hollywood Studios entertainment overhaul

ScorpionX

I hope they don't cheap out and go 'Golden Mickeys' - not only did I not like the show, it further cheapens the DCL investment in entertainment.

I would have to think it will be hard for them to ignore Toy Story unfortunately... (for the same reasons)
Golden Mickeys also plays at Hong Kong Disneyland.

Turtle

I actually don't mind the P&F show in the LM building, this now would create a Disney Junior Courtyard of sorts. With Playhouse Disney and the P&F show this would be a great time to turn that whole corner into a Disney Junior courtyard with a cohesive them with meet and greets as well. My daughter would love meeting Jake and Crew as well at other Disney Junior shows.
Disney Channel Courtyard. Disney Junior is the toddler programming

djkidkaz

That's one of the only problems I have with all of this DHS expansion talk...

Tangled - close B&TB
Phineas & Ferb - close VotLM
Carsland - close LMA
Monsters Inc - close BLT

...if all of Carsland is cloned, then maximum we end up with is +2 attractions - if they don't bring Luigi's, and don't replace it, it will be +1. The park needs to keep the attractions it has, and add to them, not replace them.

(For the record, the other problems I have are...
  • Phineas & Ferb - never seen it, so one less attraction for me personally to do (however, I do recognise that it has a lot of fans, and could be good for the park - just not for me, which I'm fine with - not a real problem).
  • The location of the hat (which could be getting solved with this expansion).
  • Hollywood/Sunset Boulevard thematic intrusions - RnRC, Disney Channel Rocks, Mulch Sweat & Shears, Play 'n' Dine at Hollywood 'n' Vine - don't get rid of them, but RnRC/DCR/MS&S could make a nice "music themed" area if they could use some of the backstage area behind/beside RnRC (PnDaHnV could also be built on this land, but accessed from Animation Courtyard) - AIE will solve itself eventually.
  • There needs to be a major draw in the area beside Star Tours (the on-now-off IJA could have helped to solve this)
  • Empty Premiere Theater
  • Empty ABC Sound Studios
  • People complain about not enough for the kids - why haven't they built a Toontown here yet?
  • HISTK Movie Set Adventure - this has to be changed to "it's a bugs life" at some point, hasn't it?
  • Pizza Planet not beside Toy Story/Backlot Express not beside Backlot (although that will be solved with this expansion by removing the backlot)
  • People complain about lack of food options.
  • Appropriate merchandise for the land, but that is a "whole of WDW problem"
  • Identity - They need to move to "hollywood that never was" at the front, "production studios" (Lucas Studios, Muppet Studios, Pixar Studios, etc.) elsewhere
  • Navigation - they need to try to get the park to have an outside loop like the other three parks, instead of the current dead ends in Animation Courtyard and Sunset Boulevard
...as you can see, none of my other problems aren't really major (and some of them may be sorted if we get a DHS 2.0 deal). The main thing is that there needs to be more attractions in the park than there currently is (19?)).

Basically everything this guy says is spot on. It's great to replace the old attractions with fresh alternatives but they need to ADD attractions while they're replacing.

doctornick

I actually don't mind the P&F show in the LM building, this now would create a Disney Junior Courtyard of sorts. With Playhouse Disney and the P&F show this would be a great time to turn that whole corner into a Disney Junior courtyard with a cohesive them with meet and greets as well. My daughter would love meeting Jake and Crew as well at other Disney Junior shows.
Just FWIW, P&F is not a Disney Jr show, it's a regular Disney Channel show. I don't think P&F appears on the independent Disney Jr show at all.

djlaosc

Basically everything this guy says is spot on. It's great to replace the old attractions with fresh alternatives but they need to ADD attractions while they're replacing.

Thanks for the compliment! :)

But yeah, they definitely need to increase the number of attractions that the Epcot/DHS/DAK have before they think about closing some current attractions down.

RSoxNo1

At a very late date.

One does not make a large public announcement for a closure. One waits for the replacement, that one can announce the change as 'New Show Offering!'.

Ten dollar say the replacement of two shows for two other shows will be marketed as 'Hollywood Studios Expansion'.
Four for a dollar?

RSoxNo1

That's one of the only problems I have with all of this DHS expansion talk...

Tangled - close B&TB
Phineas & Ferb - close VotLM
Carsland - close LMA
Monsters Inc - close BLT

...if all of Carsland is cloned, then maximum we end up with is +2 attractions - if they don't bring Luigi's, and don't replace it, it will be +1. The park needs to keep the attractions it has, and add to them, not replace them.

(For the record, the other problems I have are...
  • Phineas & Ferb - never seen it, so one less attraction for me personally to do (however, I do recognise that it has a lot of fans, and could be good for the park - just not for me, which I'm fine with - not a real problem).
  • The location of the hat (which could be getting solved with this expansion).
  • Hollywood/Sunset Boulevard thematic intrusions - RnRC, Disney Channel Rocks, Mulch Sweat & Shears, Play 'n' Dine at Hollywood 'n' Vine - don't get rid of them, but RnRC/DCR/MS&S could make a nice "music themed" area if they could use some of the backstage area behind/beside RnRC (PnDaHnV could also be built on this land, but accessed from Animation Courtyard) - AIE will solve itself eventually.
  • There needs to be a major draw in the area beside Star Tours (the on-now-off IJA could have helped to solve this)
  • Empty Premiere Theater
  • Empty ABC Sound Studios
  • People complain about not enough for the kids - why haven't they built a Toontown here yet?
  • HISTK Movie Set Adventure - this has to be changed to "it's a bugs life" at some point, hasn't it?
  • Pizza Planet not beside Toy Story/Backlot Express not beside Backlot (although that will be solved with this expansion by removing the backlot)
  • People complain about lack of food options.
  • Appropriate merchandise for the land, but that is a "whole of WDW problem"
  • Identity - They need to move to "hollywood that never was" at the front, "production studios" (Lucas Studios, Muppet Studios, Pixar Studios, etc.) elsewhere
  • Navigation - they need to try to get the park to have an outside loop like the other three parks, instead of the current dead ends in Animation Courtyard and Sunset Boulevard
...as you can see, none of my other problems aren't really major (and some of them may be sorted if we get a DHS 2.0 deal). The main thing is that there needs to be more attractions in the park than there currently is (19?)).

I think a big problem with DHS is how disjointed it is. It's also very show heavy, so this addresses that issue to a certain extent. The net gain of rides will be 2 or 3 (loss Studio Backlot Tour, add Monster's Inc Coaster, Radiator Springs Racers, Tow Mater's Junkyard Jamboree, and possibly something for Luigi's). In terms of overall attractions, it's a smaller net gain, but I look at that the same way I look at the Fantasyland expansion. How many things become "must sees" that replace things that weren't? That extends the day.

Some people complain that the Fantasyland expansion is a net gain of 0 rides if you go back to 20K leagues under the sea. Personally, I was indifferent towards both 20K leagues under the sea and snow white's scary adventures. I don't know whether or not I'll be indifferent towards the Seven Dwarf's Mine Train (but I'll certainly ride it to see), and I know I enjoy The Little Mermaid. In DHS, I don't visit the Studio Backlot Tour, and I visit Lights Motors Action on occasion. Losing both of these while adding 3 or 4 new rides is a huge plus in my book.

menamechris

I don't know whether or not I'll be indifferent towards the Seven Dwarf's Mine Train (but I'll certainly ride it to see), and I know I enjoy The Little Mermaid.

This may be the first time I have heard someone say this. The best compliment I have heard about it has been of indifference. This actually makes me a little happy, since I have not ridden it yet and have avoided all "ride thru" videos from CA. I really, really want to be pleased with this addition to the MK.

RSoxNo1

This may be the first time I have heard someone say this. The best compliment I have heard about it has been of indifference. This actually makes me a little happy, since I have not ridden it yet and have avoided all "ride thru" videos from CA. I really, really want to be pleased with this addition to the MK.
I've consistently said that when it opens it will be the best dark ride in Fantasyland. People criticize it because it's not an E-ticket, but I don't understand how anyone can say that it's a worse attraction than Peter Pan's Flight or The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

It's not The Haunted Mansion, it's not Pirates of the Caribbean, but few attractions ever live up to that high standard. It's a solid ride with above average animatronics. To clarify my likes and dislies:

Dislikes:
  • It looks too "plasticy" - this is a common complaint, but they animatronics still look much better than what's previously been done for an animated property.
  • It fails to tell the whole story - it's also a 5 minute dark ride so your expectations should be adjusted accordingly. No dark ride tells the whole story of a movie.
  • The death of Ursula is underwhelming - No less underwhelming than a rock getting dropped on us at the end of Snow White's Scary Adventures in Disneyland
  • The lighting - this is probably the most legitimate complaint, and also the biggest thing that could be adjusted vs. California.
  • There are 10+ animatronics that are better than anything currently in Fantasyland, save maybe Donald's butt in PhilharMagic
  • The music: The Under the Sea scene is a lot of fun. This would have been a great scene for the LPS tech, but you do get to spend a decent amount of time in it.
  • The rockwork: as to be expected this is doen very well
  • Capacity: Initial demand will undoubtedly be high, but I would expect this to drop off in time because it's such a high capacity attraction. I always enjoy a solid C/D-ticket dark ride that has no wait.

Californian Elitist

I like The Little Mermaid. I don't really have a problem with it. I like and have a stronger bond with the Fantasyland Five because of nostalgia, the classic feel to them and the fact that I used to operate them.

The MaD Hatter

Referring to the new Little Mermaid ride:
I don't understand how anyone can say that it's a worse attraction than Peter Pan's Flight or The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

I was wondering the same thing. :confused: I enjoy Peter Pan and Winnie the Pooh (and enjoyed Mr. Toad and Snow White while they were still at WDW) and I expect that I'll enjoy The Little Mermaid ride just as much.

doctornick

I've consistently said that when it opens it will be the best dark ride in Fantasyland. People criticize it because it's not an E-ticket, but I don't understand how anyone can say that it's a worse attraction than Peter Pan's Flight or The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh.

It's not The Haunted Mansion, it's not Pirates of the Caribbean, but few attractions ever live up to that high standard. It's a solid ride with above average animatronics.

I totally agree with you. I think it's a great ride and will be a very solid addition. Not an E-ticket, but IMHO easily superior to traditional Fantasyland Dark rides. I think nostalgia is what creates a lot of the sentiment that it is inferior to older rides, but it has great music and AAs and generally tells the story well, albeit too abbreviated at the end and I too would take it over any of the older dark rides. I think those that rate it poorly are doing so by comparing to what they think it should be rather than what it is.

With LM being in Fantasyland in MK and with a great queue and external appearance, I think it will be a very popular ride and will get good crowds. Because it's an Omnimover, it won't ever get backed up, but I don't expect the walk up type setting that you see at DCA.

The Empress Lilly

I think a big problem with DHS is how disjointed it is. It's also very show heavy, so this addresses that issue to a certain extent. The net gain of rides will be 2 or 3
But DHS being show heavy does not need to be adressed, it needs to be cherished!

With four parks, WDW enjoys a luxury that is unique in the world. The luxury of variation and diversity. It means WDW can have variation in its parks. Different atmospheres, different vibes, different ways of exploring them. DHS is the show park, not the ride park. DAK is the tranquil exploration park, not the ride park.

I disagree with the oft heard suggestion that DHS needs dark rides, and DAK needs Dark rides. Why should they? They shouldn't be MKs with different themes. They should to be different experiences.

The Empress Lilly

If their is A Phineas and Ferb show, would the meet n greet move closer to it? If their is any room?
Well knowing Disney, if they decide that Ph&F is the next big franchise, then they will be all over WDW. An interactive adventure in EPCOT, a show in DHS, a meet&greet at the MK, and parade floats everywhere. Like Nemo or Toy Story, you shan't be able to walk fifty yards without encountering them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom