Hole-y Plots, Batman!!

sbkline

The Great Lakes can be traversed to the Atlantic. :shrug:

Ponds...now those are usually self contained.

Roses ?

Most smaller lakes (at least those here in Illinois, and I assume elsewhere) are actually dammed up rivers and as such can be traversed back to the ocean, assumming the water is deep enough or wide enough for a boat to traverse. And also assumming, of course, that you're trying to reach the ocean by backtracking back down the river, and not trying to go forward over the dam. :lol:

powlessfamily4

Throughout the history of hereditary aristocracy there have been young orphans. King Louis XIII was coronated King of France at the age of nine, just two years younger than Prince Adam.

With Lumiere's "ten years we have been rusting" and development work that was done, the curse lasted for approximately ten years. This brings up the issue of where did Chip come from (How does a Teapot reproduce?) or why nobody else aged.

If I remember correctly, Beauty and the Beast: The Enchanted Christmas says that part of the curse was that only Prince Adam would age. The premise is that Forte, court musician who is now a pipe organ, wants to remain enchanted and not deal with aging and being human. Also, the film establishes that not only did the Enchantress curse an eleven year old boy, but she did so on Christmas Day!

The plot question that bothers me about Beauty and the Beast is that the Beast is Prince Adam and yet the whole time the entire town seems totally unaware that Prince Adam even exists.

Just curious... can anyone point to where exactly it is stated his name is Adam?:shrug: Please don't site a game created after the fact.

loveofamouse

Original Poster
BatB is a fav of my mom and 3yr old. My fav is still Lion King although I also liked Enchanted.

It would seem extremely cruel for an 11yr old boy to be cursed for being a brat.... kids do do that.

Another plot hole: okay, the servants didn't age during the 10yr curse.... Chip isn't 10yrs old. He seems approx. 6-7yrs old. In fact, Chip and Adam would have been running around together. Nevermind Chip's brothers and sisters that are mentioned but NEVER seen (mom plays hardcore favorites). And where is Adam's guardian/nurse? Usually, royalty had nanny/nursemaids that stayed with them into their teen years. At the age of 11, with no parents, he would have had a nurse and a guardian who would have been included in the curse. Where are they?

Yes! How does they entire town not know who the local prince is, let alone wonder why he's disappeared?

In the new version of the movie, they've added alot of scenes. That song "Human Again" drives me crazy. It totally doesn't fit, to me.

Also, at the beginning, as they are telling the store of the curse, the Prince is reflected as a grown man. :shrug:

loveofamouse

Original Poster
Just curious... can anyone point to where exactly it is stated his name is Adam?:shrug: Please don't site a game created after the fact.

That is where it was given. Disney created a game that said his name was Adam. Personally, I think it was to cover the oversight of not giving Beast a name in the original film. Alot of people asked what his name was. Disney named him.

I also think the Christmas movie was an attempt to fill in the blanks of the original :)

powlessfamily4

That is where it was given. Disney created a game that said his name was Adam. Personally, I think it was to cover the oversight of not giving Beast a name in the original film. Alot of people asked what his name was. Disney named him.

I also think the Christmas movie was an attempt to fill in the blanks of the original :)

John

Isnt eveyone missing the point, Thee are no such thing as the seven dwarves, cars dont talk, marionettes cant come to life....you get the idea. These films are made for kids. Created by what?....Imagineers.

As far as the adult movies like Friday 13th, Sorry, I would rather watch Beauty and the Beast. Freddie, Jason etc. how many times can they do the same plot?

Look at Toy Story 3, we are past the novelty that these are toys. Now these chracters have a story to tell. Can toys talk? Of course not. We no longer think about that, we immerse ourselves in the story. As in Beauty and The Beast, its the story...The op questions some holes in the story but dosnt really question the fact that there is a talking beast of somekind. But questions his age....huh?

sbkline

Isnt eveyone missing the point, Thee are no such thing as the seven dwarves, cars dont talk, marionettes cant come to life....you get the idea. These films are made for kids. Created by what?....Imagineers.

As far as the adult movies like Friday 13th, Sorry, I would rather watch Beauty and the Beast. Freddie, Jason etc. how many times can they do the same plot?

Look at Toy Story 3, we are past the novelty that these are toys. Now these chracters have a story to tell. Can toys talk? Of course not. We no longer think about that, we immerse ourselves in the story. As in Beauty and The Beast, its the story...The op questions some holes in the story but dosnt really question the fact that there is a talking beast of somekind. But questions his age....huh?

But I don't think Fantasy and plot holes are the same thing. Sure, these stories are pure fiction and outside the realm of possibility. But in the context of a fictional story, I, for one, don't think it's too much to ask that the writers are consistent in the details of the story.

It's kind of like the old Star Trek series. I understand that it is all pure fiction and make believe. However, it bothers me that when they wrote the script for Star Trek II, the Wrath of Kahn, they couldn't even be consistent with their own storyline in the fact that Chekov was not in the cast of characters in the season in which Khan appeared in the TV series. Yet in the movie, he mentions that he remembered Chekov. The premise of the show and the movie is pure fiction and fanstasy and that's fine. But Khan's remembering of Chekov was an error; an inconsistency in the storyline, and that's bothersome. Same with the Beauty and the Beast movie.

tirian

Created by animators and storytellers, all of whom should know Storytelling Rule #1: Create a universe and stick to its rules. If your universe can make cars talk, so be it, as long as you follow whatever logic should exist.

sbkline

Created by animators and storytellers, all of whom should know Storytelling Rule #1: Create a universe and stick to its rules. If your universe can make cars talk, so be it, as long as you follow whatever logic should exist.

Exactly! I wasn't sure if I was doing a good job putting my thoughts into words in my previous post, but this is essentially what I was trying to say.

britlightyear

Plot hole for Toy Story- In the first movie before Buzz realizes he is a toy, why does he freeze when people are around? Like for example, in the part where Sid is picking Buzz out of the crane machine at Pizza Planet, Buzz still thinks he's real so why does he stop moving and talking the minute he comes into view of Sid?
That tiny little part has bugged me since I was 12.

Figment1986

Gaston's song in the tavern. The triplets sing and Gaston picks up their bench. Did anyone else notice that Gaston just stands hunched over behind them breathing down their necks while they sang?

Gaston was simply making a point... during his song when he sang they often froze in position and didn't blink... (noticed that in the IMAX screening years ago)

cymbaldiva

I shall attempt to clear your confusion with some simple "fillers", if you will, for this particular Disney Gem.

• First, Prince Adam is a wealthy, aristocratic orphan. The Old Lady killed his parents when they refused to buy lemonade from her stand.
  • Second, Mrs. Potts had all of those children with prince Adam's father, the king. Consequently, most of those children are accustomed to remaining "out of the way" because of the scandal that they would create if their presence was known.
  • Third, the castle has a multitude of servants because all of those people had at one time blackmailed the king regarding the 'leaking" of information to his wife. In a depressed French economy, a steady job was better than a one-time payment.
  • Prince Adam was the Prince of Cigarettolia, a little known town in France that started the whole smoking craze for the entire nation.
  • Fourth, the entire village was unaware of the facts concerning their prince, the beast that he had become, or his temper, because they were too busy complaining that they had a three day workweek. Their grueling schedule was enough to keep them occupied beyond any concern for the monarchy, or politics in general. Sacre bleu!
  • Lastly, Gaston breathes down the necks of the triplets because it is cold, and he is concerned for their health and comfort. You see, he is really just misunderstood. He's not really a bad guy, just someone who loves his Belle enough to kill for her.
I hope that I have been of some service in clearing your confusion over this simple, magical tale of love and adventure. I am rsoxguy, fairy tale guru.

Thank you sir ~ I tip my virtual hat to you.... ;)

graphite1326

I shall attempt to clear your confusion with some simple "fillers", if you will, for this particular Disney Gem.

• First, Prince Adam is a wealthy, aristocratic orphan. The Old Lady killed his parents when they refused to buy lemonade from her stand.
  • Second, Mrs. Potts had all of those children with prince Adam's father, the king. Consequently, most of those children are accustomed to remaining "out of the way" because of the scandal that they would create if their presence was known.
  • Third, the castle has a multitude of servants because all of those people had at one time blackmailed the king regarding the 'leaking" of information to his wife. In a depressed French economy, a steady job was better than a one-time payment.
  • Prince Adam was the Prince of Cigarettolia, a little known town in France that started the whole smoking craze for the entire nation.
  • Fourth, the entire village was unaware of the facts concerning their prince, the beast that he had become, or his temper, because they were too busy complaining that they had a three day workweek. Their grueling schedule was enough to keep them occupied beyond any concern for the monarchy, or politics in general. Sacre bleu!
  • Lastly, Gaston breathes down the necks of the triplets because it is cold, and he is concerned for their health and comfort. You see, he is really just misunderstood. He's not really a bad guy, just someone who loves his Belle enough to kill for her.
I hope that I have been of some service in clearing your confusion over this simple, magical tale of love and adventure. I am rsoxguy, fairy tale guru.

Thank you. This helped a great deal. I will explain all this to my children.

rsoxguy

Plot hole for Toy Story- In the first movie before Buzz realizes he is a toy, why does he freeze when people are around? Like for example, in the part where Sid is picking Buzz out of the crane machine at Pizza Planet, Buzz still thinks he's real so why does he stop moving and talking the minute he comes into view of Sid?

Ah, a fairytale guru's job is never done. Buzz Lightyear had narcolepsy. It was purely coincidental that it hit him at the precise moment that humans were around to see his "episodes". See? It all makes sense in the end.

Phonedave

While he does not realize he is a toy, I think he realizes that he is not human. Otherwise he would wonder why he is so small.

He is operating in a hostile foriegn environment. He wants to avoid further problems by avoiding detection.

Otherwise we could ask why when Andy unwrapped him he just didn't say "Hey, how ya doin' Stop busting up my ship"

-dave

docdebbi

YOU ARE JUST DEMENTED!!! I like that in a person!

loveofamouse

Original Poster
Does raise a good point about Buzz, though. He truly believed he was a space ranger on a strange planet with giant children and strange "toy" people. I could understand him hiding but he does freeze just like everyone else. Being a narcoleptic does fit :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom