Hole-y Plots, Batman!!

lazyboy97o

Just curious... can anyone point to where exactly it is stated his name is Adam?:shrug: Please don't site a game created after the fact.
While the game is where it was public, I do think it came from the story development.

Human Again was originally written for the stage musical. It's performed in the middle of act 2.
Human Again was written for the film, but first heard in the Broadway musical. The reason it was dropped from the film in the first place is because it created story problems.

WDW_Emily

I am in a class currently focused on Feminism and the teacher believes that Beauty and the Beast is about domestic violence....WHATTT has anyone ever heard/noticed this? because I still don't see it.

Anyways its a fairytale. I am more on the side of he was 17 when the spell was cast because if it was 10 years ago, making the beast 11, then chip would have been a baby or maybe not even born when the spell was cast. And the spell was casted over whoever was in the house I thought, so like the party guest too.

JustInTime

Since when does magic have to be explained? The "holes" listed here are part of a fairytale and the entire point is that fairytales are not constrained to realism.

sbkline

I am in a class currently focused on Feminism and the teacher believes that Beauty and the Beast is about domestic violence....WHATTT has anyone ever heard/noticed this? because I still don't see it.

I've never seen that in the movie either. But the problem with these feminuts is that they get out of bed every morning bound and determined to find something to cry sexism about. They view the entire world through the lenses of their radical cause and are able to find something sexist in anything. When one approaches the world with the attitude that women are victims and that there is a vast conspiracy against them, then naturally, they're gonna find something to whine about in everything they see.

jvenegas

Isnt eveyone missing the point, Thee are no such thing as the seven dwarves, cars dont talk, marionettes cant come to life....you get the idea. These films are made for kids. Created by what?....Imagineers.

As far as the adult movies like Friday 13th, Sorry, I would rather watch Beauty and the Beast. Freddie, Jason etc. how many times can they do the same plot?

Look at Toy Story 3, we are past the novelty that these are toys. Now these chracters have a story to tell. Can toys talk? Of course not. We no longer think about that, we immerse ourselves in the story. As in Beauty and The Beast, its the story...The op questions some holes in the story but dosnt really question the fact that there is a talking beast of somekind. But questions his age....huh?

We really don't know that because they come alive when we're not there.:lookaroun

dragongirl

Just curious... can anyone point to where exactly it is stated his name is Adam?:shrug: Please don't site a game created after the fact.

It isn't. It's false information perpetuated by Wikipedia and the Internet now. It was a trivia question in a game (The D Show) made years after the movie by a third party (for Disney Interactive-but no one with actual Archives access was involved) which inserted the question as a joke and homage to He-Man. The joke being that Prince Adam was lame until he transforms into something cooler.

Thanks to an answers.yahoo answer the information has now been falsely attributed to Dave Smith. But no one can cite anything except Yahoo answer as the source for the info. :p (The fact that if you consult Smith's Encyclopedia and the name isn't in there doesn't seem to deter anyone.)

He is merely "The Prince".

powlessfamily4

It isn't. It's false information perpetuated by Wikipedia and the Internet now. It was a trivia question in a game (The D Show) made years after the movie by a third party (for Disney Interactive-but no one with actual Archives access was involved) which inserted the question as a joke and homage to He-Man. The joke being that Prince Adam was lame until he transforms into something cooler.

Thanks to an answers.yahoo answer the information has now been falsely attributed to Dave Smith. But no one can cite anything except Yahoo answer as the source for the info. :p (The fact that if you consult Smith's Encyclopedia and the name isn't in there doesn't seem to deter anyone.)

He is merely "The Prince".

Thank you!!

I fondly refer to him as "THE BIG GUY" :lol:

epcotWSC

The original story of beauty and the beast was written in the 1700s. Disney adapted it into an animated movie. Sure, they changed some aspects. Anyway, here's from Wiki

Villeneuve's tale includes several elements that Beaumont's omits. Chiefly, the back-story of both Belle and the Beast is given. The Beast was a prince who lost his father at a young age, and whose mother had to wage war to defend his kingdom. The queen left him in care of an evil fairy, who tried to seduce him when he became an adult; when he refused, she transformed him into a beast. Belle's story reveals that she is not really a merchant's daughter but the offspring of a king and a good fairy. The wicked fairy had tried to murder Belle so she could marry her father the king, and Belle was put in the place of the merchant's dead daughter to protect her.[5] She also gave the castle elaborate magic, which obscured the more vital pieces of it.[6] Beaumont greatly pared down the cast of characters and simplified the tale to an almost archetypal simplicity.[7]

loveofamouse

Original Poster

Anyways its a fairytale. I am more on the side of he was 17 when the spell was cast because if it was 10 years ago, making the beast 11, then chip would have been a baby or maybe not even born when the spell was cast. And the spell was casted over whoever was in the house I thought, so like the party guest too.

Domestic Violence? I don't see that one. If anything, she was being a rude houseguest. She was told not to go in the West wing and she intentionally disobeyed and went through his things. That's just rude. lol.

loveofamouse

Original Poster
The original story of beauty and the beast was written in the 1700s. Disney adapted it into an animated movie. Sure, they changed some aspects. Anyway, here's from Wiki

Hmm that's interesting. Very plausible, too, as many of the Disney fairy tales weren't of their own imagination. They were taken from already known fairy tales.

Phonedave

Since when does magic have to be explained? The "holes" listed here are part of a fairytale and the entire point is that fairytales are not constrained to realism.

Plot holes are indicative of poor storytelling.

Fairytales are meant to suspend realism, not excuse poor storytelling.

For example, lets say we have Peter Pan flying - that's fairytale and an acceptable case of it.

Now if Peter Pan is seen in London and a Calander in the background says Tuesday, and flys somwhere else (in the same time zone) and arrives on Monday, that's poor storytelling. Continuity errors are not something that should be explained away by "Oh it's fiction"

Just as the use of a deux ex machina is perfectly ok in fiction, but shoddy storytelling, so are continuity errors.

-dave

mharrington

It's worse than you think. In Be Our Guest, Luminiere says "10 years we've been rusting. . ."

He was 11! She cursed an 11 year old kid for not knowing the meaning of inner beauty, and demanded he find true love by 21!

You ain't seen/heard/read nothing yet! According to David Koenig in his book, "Mouse Under Glass", he agrees that, when the prince was cursed ten years ago (according to Lumiere), he would have been cursed at the age of eleven. Koenig claims that that is a shade young for the falling-in-love escape clause and that the prince looks much older than the age of eleven in the portrait that he, as the Beast, shreds. He then goes on to question how that would make Chip and even wonders if Mrs. Potts is a little too old for bearing children.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Poor story telling to you may be a condensed plot to fit a format for a screen writer.

Or perhaps I don't take my disposable entertainment seriously enough.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom