Hocus Pocus Sequel Being Developed for Disney+

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Original Poster

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Disney has conjured up the release date for Hocus Pocus 2 out of its upfronts presentation, with the studio announcing Tuesday that the movie will hit the Disney+ streaming service on Sept. 30."

Dear Prudence

Hocus Pocus was one of my favourite movies as a kid. Whilst I was initially happy and excited its cult following finally got the merch and level of recognition I think the film deserved, I now cannot stand it because of its over-saturation every year. The way that it's become people's personality traits (or their entire personality, period), has just reached a level of toxicity that is #TooM uch for me. I like a lot of the new folks that they've said will be in it, so I will probably see it at some point.

That being said, I am really excited that it's a sequel and not a reboot and that we are finally getting this.

Last edited:

LittleMerman

Wow....
This is really happening after all these years.

Hope it will be worth the wait, as some fans have been waiting a very long time for this.

-
Hocus Pocus has always been my favorite Halloween movie, ever since I was a kid! I've been so stoked for the sequel. When I realized it was going to be a Disney+ movie and not a theatrical release, I got a little nervous. I've seen Lady and the Tramp (live-action), Noelle, The One and Only Ivan, Godmothered, Cheaper by the Dozen, and Better Nate Than Never - they were all really cute but not amazing - definitely lower quality than Disney's theatrical releases.

However, I just watched Sneakerella and didn't expect much but it was actually great. The music, cinematography, and acting were more on-par with Disney's theatrical movies so I'm hoping they really invested in Hocus Pocus 2's integrity and it's more in-line with the original film. Bette, Sarah, and Kathy will definitely elevate the film. Here's to hoping!

I'm surprised it wasn't a theatrical release given the cult following of the original movie. I know Disney+ is a big push but I would think it would be a decently successful theatrical release.

MickeyMouse10

I love the first film and watch it almost every year.

But from what I've seen from the trailers for the 2nd one, it looks like a steaming pile of poop. Disney seems like they've made it their mission to make new awful versions of everything they own. Every single classic film that you've grown up watching.

BuddyThomas

But from what I've seen from the trailers for the 2nd one, it looks like a steaming pile of poop. Disney seems like they've made it their mission to make new awful versions of everything they own. Every single classic film that you've grown up watching.
On the other hand, we can just wait a few weeks and find out if it’s good or horrible. No reason to trash it now without sufficient information.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I have enjoyed the previous performances of all the actors involved, the musical scoring, and the scripting of the original movie. I'll hold any judgment I might have until after I see the new production.

Trailers are intentionally deceiving.

Ghost93

I think nostalgia has caused people to severely overrate the first Hocus Focus. It's a decently fun film, but having not grown up with it I didn't get what all of the fuss was about when I ended up seeing it for the first time a few years ago.

DKampy

I think nostalgia has caused people to severely overrate the first Hocus Focus. It's a decently fun film, but having not grown up with it I didn't get what all of the fuss was about when I ended up seeing it for the first time a few years ago.
Yeah…that is what my wife said… she watched it for the 1st time last year… I have not seen it yet… I am watching it for the first time this year as she wants to see the 2nd one this Halloween

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member

We're looking at through different (grown up) eyes. But I will say that the newer Under Wraps movie was terrible.

MickeyMouse10

We're looking at through different (grown up) eyes. But I will say that the newer Under Wraps movie was terrible.

I think Hocus Pocus actually still holds up because of it's story and performances. Unlike things like Halloweentown or episodes of Goosebumps. Which are so bad you can't suspend your beliefs.

Hocus Pocus doesn't look cheap and lame like other films and shows of the genre. Of course it may have to do with the top tier cast too. They somehow got Penny and Garry Marshall to make appearances for it, as a husband and wife. Even the child and young actors are spot on in their roles.

Last edited:

MickeyMouse10

I honestly think they should have gone with the original cast. It means more to me (and others) to see the Sanderson Sisters vs Max and Dani. Ice and Jay could have even gotten some redemptions for being jerks when they were younger.

Last edited:

Ripken10

I certainly don't feel this way. I think it's a great film and everybody I introduce it to seems to enjoy it as well. We have watched it several times in the last month because our kids are into it now. To me there is two types of great films, the movies that wow you the first time you watch it; and the movie you can watch over and over again. I imagine Hocus Pocus sits into the second for a very large number of people.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom