HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

Supersnow84

I

I'm not fully convinced that the D23 Multiverse ride has been shelved. As far as HK is concerned, they will coast on Arendelle until they are ready to start whatever goes on Autopia's plot.
That fact it was on 3 seperate resorts expansion plans and none of them can get it off the ground is what concerns me, Paris has moved towards arendelle and possibly moving GE into discoveryland over WDS and Disneyland has moved towards Disneyland forward

Even with the money set aside I doubt Hong Kong Disneyland can push this project along by itself especially with the marvel cinematic universe fading in popularity recently, it would be super nice if Hong Kong managed to actually secure the f ticket as exclusive but I doubt the resort has the capabilities and that 5 billion is too tantalising for other things considering how cheap arendelle apparently was for what it’s offering

momo123

I don't think the ride itself is cancelled I've seen new ideas of a king thanos ride which won't work in hk because the artwork looks like it will be very similar in ride vehicle to the iron man ride I can't see Disney or Legco approving it. I think I would take a ToT style Spiderman ride and my an expansion of grizzly gulch with a splash mountain. I can defo see LEGCO being very happy with two e-tickets in there budget than one f ticket I could be wrong but lets see. Alternatively the whole thing is scrapped and the money is used for the last large expansion pad that's remaining I think HKGOV likes more lands than just rides (It's like a mini bonus for them). Personally the only factor about HK Disney basically is a lot of lands crunched together an experience in itself is it positive ? (I'm not so sure)

BTW what shocked me is how well Toy Story mini-land has done in Hong Kong. When I was last there I saw that area looked the busiest area of the park.

Supersnow84

I don't think the ride itself is cancelled I've seen new ideas of a king thanos ride which won't work in hk because the artwork looks like it will be very similar in ride vehicle to the iron man ride I can't see Disney or Legco approving it. I think I would take a ToT style Spiderman ride and my an expansion of grizzly gulch with a splash mountain. I can defo see LEGCO being very happy with two e-tickets in there budget than one f ticket I could be wrong but lets see. Alternatively the whole thing is scrapped and the money is used for the last large expansion pad that's remaining I think HKGOV likes more lands than just rides (It's like a mini bonus for them). Personally the only factor about HK Disney basically is a lot of lands crunched together an experience in itself is it positive ? (I'm not so sure)

BTW what shocked me is how well Toy Story mini-land has done in Hong Kong. When I was last there I saw that area looked the busiest area of the park.
I’d also think that 2 e tickets would benefit them more than 1 f ticket but the “many small lands” is a facet of Chinese culture so it’s explicitly designed that way (it’s part of why the three mini land expansion was so popular)

I think their first goal should be putting something on the autopia plot, they have already ripped the ride down so it needs to be replaced and stark expo needs to be rounded out, how much they spend on that is still up for debate

momo123

I think the only issue I foresee is hk called there Frontierland grizzly gulch and if they spend money on a eticket in stark expo I don't think they'll have enough left over for a entire land and that plot seems quite big and im not sure they can work with the grizzly gulch story? maybe I'm wrong.

I do believe though 2 E-tickets serves the park better as more types of riders will be accommodated for instead of a F-ticket ride. any one half a estimation of how much world of frozen cost? seems like it was less than $2.5b ? assuming they've spent around 5.5b in total so far (I think the total was 10.9b)

Supersnow84

I think the only issue I foresee is hk called there Frontierland grizzly gulch and if they spend money on a eticket in stark expo I don't think they'll have enough left over for a entire land and that plot seems quite big and im not sure they can work with the grizzly gulch story? maybe I'm wrong.

I do believe though 2 E-tickets serves the park better as more types of riders will be accommodated for instead of a F-ticket ride. any one half a estimation of how much world of frozen cost? seems like it was less than $2.5b ? assuming they've spent around 5.5b in total so far (I think the total was 10.9b)
They could easily build onto the east grizzly plot with a land that has nothing to do with grizzly if they really wanted to because you could access it directly from Adventureland where the pavilion currently is

arendelle likely cost around the 2.5 billion mark; the COMD likely didn’t cost a lot because it’s all Just pre-prepped fronting stuck on top of the original castle, the update to the hub itself, iron man and any man likely cost more

Ideally with 5 billion they could put an e ticket on autopia and build one more arendelle sized land with a single attraction that was also e ticket, it would likely have to go in east grizzly because the Toy Story plot is now severely constrained because going much closer to it will interrupt the theming integrity of arendelle

momo123

Wow I just used a map measure tool and just realised how big frozen actually is. I always thought that last pad was larger turns out not including the pavilion is around 3acres ( for reference frozen looks like it’s 5 acres). Probably big enough for one splash mountain style ride.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I don't see the ROI for further expansion given the recent political and economic changes in the governance of Hong Kong. Remember that 53% of it is owned by the Hong Kong government and its been operating at a loss since 2015.

Supersnow84

Yeah it functionally leaves the park with 3 options with the money they have considering they are obligated to develop the autopia plot based on what LegCo originally agreed to

1) develop autopia with an F ticket using all the remaining money

2) develop autopia with an e ticket and develop the grizzly plot with 1 e ticket (likely can’t fit 2 d tickets like arendelle)

3) develop autopia with an e ticket and develop the boulevard with DTD

Supersnow84

I don't see the ROI for further expansion given the recent political and economic changes in the governance of Hong Kong. Remember that 53% of it is owned by the Hong Kong government and its been operating at a loss since 2015.
The 5 billion has to be spent since its already been allocated, expansion beyond that is incredibly nebulous given a return to profitability which looks increasingly likely due to its soaring popularity with the people of HK and it now being a strong contender to Shanghai

Rush

The plot south of Grizzly Gulch can hold something like a reconfigured Pandora, or it can be expanded further south beyond the berm which would only require slightly moving the access road. That could free up more than 10 acres of land which is a handsome amount for one large immersive land (something that Hong Kong doesn’t have), or if we stay on trend two lands around 5 acres each.

Something like the Tangled area in Disneysea's Fantasy Springs is also the same size as the pad between Frozen and Toy Story. That pad could hold a substantial ride and an accompanying restaurant easily so I hope whenever the time comes for it to be used that it's not put towards expanding Toy Story Land.

Last edited:

Supersnow84

Expanding the plot east to go all the way to the esplanade taking up the south west quadrant of the esplanade would increase the space to 12.3 acres, roughly the size of the entire original expansion

However I don’t know if expansion into the esplanade plot is allowed based on the master planning

Rush

That plot may be limited to how close it is to the unthemed backside of the arendelle mountain

87YPkA2.png

Something like this where the showbuildings are at the back of each other with the rock work continuing throughout both facades. I would much rather HK gets an exclusive land here, but this just shows the possibilities that this rather small plot has.

Last edited:

Supersnow84

Something like this where the showbuildings are at the back of each other with the rock work continuing throughout both facades. I would much rather HK gets an exclusive land here, but this just shows the possibilities that this rather small plot has.
That would face the centre of the land towards TSL, I’d assume if they were going to make a “land” there they would try to face it east (ie towards the boulevard between TSL and arendelle

Rush

That would face the centre of the land towards TSL, I’d assume if they were going to make a “land” there they would try to face it east (ie towards the boulevard between TSL and arendelle
Opp I forgot to attach the image. But yeah, it's orientation is perfectly the same as Fantasy Springs. The Land would be centered by Rapunzel's tower with the mountain range working as the backdrop.

momo123

Just for reference

Smallest existing land (mystic point)
-2.79 acres

Frozen
-5.5 acres
Autopia earmarked for marvel
-2 acres
Remaining autopia
-1.4 acres
Tahitian terrace
-0.41 acres
Grizzly plot
-5.5 acres (pavilion inclusive)
-3.8 acres (no pavilion)
Toy Story
-2.3 acres

Remaining cast only areas north of arendelle
-240 acres
I think doing anything with the remaining side of Autopia beyond the railroad is difficult maybe a back end building of the ride?

momo123

Also I've noticed a DTD for hk but how does that exactly work? Hk is quite a small place someone can easily just go somewhere else in the city? maybe it works for some guests visiting the park or ones staying there but I'm not sure it works maybe with two parks and 4 or 5 hotels then maybe there's a use case.

Supersnow84

I think doing anything with the remaining side of Autopia beyond the railroad is difficult maybe a back end building of the ride?
They could do it but you’d have to access it from the fantasyland side of space so it’ll likely be a space themed expansion
Also I've noticed a DTD for hk but how does that exactly work? Hk is quite a small place someone can easily just go somewhere else in the city? maybe it works for some guests visiting the park or ones staying there but I'm not sure it works maybe with two parks and 4 or 5 hotels then maybe there's a use case.
for that you could argue the same for Tokyo and Shanghai both of whom have a DTD, Shanghai especially isn’t really a longer stay resort than HK yet has a pretty large DTD

DTD is probably the thing that will most encourage people to stay more at the resorts short of a full second gate

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom