HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

Supersnow84

FEA's not so positive reception is mostly due to it being in World Showcase. An improved FEA in Fantasyland is great however. It's not much larger than your classic FL rides so it retains a certain charm, it's muscial, has loved character and a cute storyline that's not necessarily a book report. This a huge win for HK, especially since it come with what looks like a fantastically themed land and a supporting ride. Exciting!
Now we just need one more e ticket and maybe a water ride and the park will be ready for a second gate

Rush

Now we just need one more e ticket and maybe a water ride and the park will be ready for a second gate
This is sad to say, but I don't think HK is getting a second gate, nor do I think it really needs one. Expansion and working to raise and maintain interest and attendance is the best route and the route i see management taking. The biggest expansion i see happening outside of the park is a water park, which I think would be a great addition to the resort and might justify building a smaller Disney Village in the esplanade.

Supersnow84

This is sad to say, but I don't think HK is getting a second gate, nor do I think it really needs one. Expansion and working to raise and maintain interest and attendance is the best route and the route i see management taking. The biggest expansion i see happening outside of the park is a water park, which I think would be a great addition to the resort and might justify building a smaller Disney Village in the esplanade.
They won’t build a water park because ocean park already has one

Attendance was tracking the right way before Shanghai and the park is finally getting to the point of being “good” so I can see attendance finally ticking up, even if it’s only GBA, the park has easy potential for a second gate (Shanghai shows that), it just needs to be “good enough” to justify the second gate, a distinction which pre arendelle was probably only held by the wildest of Disney fans

Rush

They won’t build a water park because ocean park already has one

Attendance was tracking the right way before Shanghai and the park is finally getting to the point of being “good” so I can see attendance finally ticking up, even if it’s only GBA, the park has easy potential for a second gate (Shanghai shows that), it just needs to be “good enough” to justify the second gate, a distinction which pre arendelle was probably only held by the wildest of Disney fans

I'm not sure if a Disney water park would hurt from Water World. Not to the extent that a 2nd Disney park would hurt from from HKDL and vice versa. The way I see it, HKDL could use a water park to promote the resort as a multi-day destination and possibly sell admissions through bundles. That way, they can have a "second gate" without canabilizing the attendance of the park. Right now they are struggling to fill their hotel rooms. A water park can be a good incentive for hotel guests to stay an extra day.

I appreciate your positive outlook and really hope you're right. If a second gate is ever in the cards for HK, it's going to be in the not so near future.

Supersnow84

I'm not sure if a Disney water park would hurt from Water World. Not to the extent that a 2nd Disney park would hurt from from HKDL and vice versa. The way I see it, HKDL could use a water park to promote the resort as a multi-day destination and possibly sell admissions through bundles. That way, they can have a "second gate" without canabilizing the attendance of the park. Right now they are struggling to fill their hotel rooms. A water park can be a good incentive for hotel guests to stay an extra day.

I appreciate your positive outlook and really hope you're right. If a second gate is ever in the cards for HK, it's going to be in the not so near future.
More so LegCo won’t let them build a water park because while both parks remain open they don’t allow them to build similar things, it’s the main reason why glacier bay as second of the two rejected proposals for the first expansion was rejected, because ocean park already has a ice land (arendelle was passed because it’s being sold as an extension to HK’s wonky fantasyland)

They are running out of expansion pad space at the main resort, they only have one more pad that could support an entire land (east of grizzly) and even that would be a “HK land” sized land, the Toy Story pad would likely be one ride, the area behind space mountain is basically required to either be related to space or related to marvel if marvel still fills the autopia plot to maintain integrity and Tahitian terrace would likely only fit a c ticket

If they put through another expansion in 5 years or so it will have to go outside the main resort in order to pack a real wow factor, whether that be downtown Disney, something to fill the 4th hotel space (which lets be honest the original plans for 6 hotels was always bonkers, international parks have never had a need for huge hotel numbers DLP says hi) or some combo of that and filling the last pads the next expansion has to expand outwards

HK has been kept going for as long as it has by its willingness to expand even when it’s still taking loses

Rush

More so LegCo won’t let them build a water park because while both parks remain open they don’t allow them to build similar things, it’s the main reason why glacier bay as second of the two rejected proposals for the first expansion was rejected, because ocean park already has a ice land (arendelle was passed because it’s being sold as an extension to HK’s wonky fantasyland)

They are running out of expansion pad space at the main resort, they only have one more pad that could support an entire land (east of grizzly) and even that would be a “HK land” sized land, the Toy Story pad would likely be one ride, the area behind space mountain is basically required to either be related to space or related to marvel if marvel still fills the autopia plot to maintain integrity and Tahitian terrace would likely only fit a c ticket

If they put through another expansion in 5 years or so it will have to go outside the main resort in order to pack a real wow factor, whether that be downtown Disney, something to fill the 4th hotel space (which lets be honest the original plans for 6 hotels was always bonkers, international parks have never had a need for huge hotel numbers DLP says hi) or some combo of that and filling the last pads the next expansion has to expand outwards

HK has been kept going for as long as it has by its willingness to expand even when it’s still taking loses

I'm not worried about expansion space. They have three pads sitting and waiting to be used, and they can always reconfigure backstage areas to allow for more expansion space if needed. That alone buys the park a long time without the need to expand beyond park boarders. At that point, expanding beyond park boarders is easily as feasible as building a whole new park. I'm afraid that HK's population in addition to tourism from SEA can't sustain a second gate, and there's no indication that this is going to change in the coming years, that's enough to assume that the HK resort will remain a one park resort, at least in the foreseeable future.

Supersnow84

I'm not worried about expansion space. They have three pads sitting and waiting to be used, and they can always reconfigure backstage areas to allow for more expansion space if needed. That alone buys the park a long time without the need to expand beyond park boarders. At that point, expanding beyond park boarders is easily as feasible as building a whole new park. I'm afraid that HK's population in addition to tourism from SEA can't sustain a second gate, and there's no indication that this is going to change in the coming years, that's enough to assume that the HK resort will remain a one park resort, at least in the foreseeable future.
The 4 pads cumulative would be a similar expansion than the current in progress expansion assuming they didn’t touch the core backstage area north of arendelle so if they are going to expand again it may not be a second gate but I’d assume it will be outside the park as the park is actually big enough now that building out it’s supporting areas now is probably of more benefit than filling in the minimal expansion pads left

The sheer size of explorers lodge alone means that the 4th hotel won’t likely be needed even if a second gate does get built, I think that and the esplanade and the 4th hotel space could be future external park expansions that aren’t actually a second gate which the resort can’t support right now

MysticMDisney

I kind of agree. HKDL will probably be a one-park resort at least for the foreseeable future. And that’s completely fine with me but they need something to keep people coming back. A water park would be a great idea to be honest. I was at HKDL this past weekend and it was incredibly hot and humid, and this is coming from someone who has lived in Southeast Asia for most of his life. A water park would be the perfect thing to keep guests staying on site.

I had no idea that Frozen was only approved because it was sold as an extension of Fantasyland. I mean that makes sense but I just didn’t know that was the reason.

HKDL should just convert the land earmarked for a hotel into a downtown Disney area or make park promenade into something that’ll keep guests at the park well past closing time.

Supersnow84

I kind of agree. HKDL will probably be a one-park resort at least for the foreseeable future. And that’s completely fine with me but they need something to keep people coming back. A water park would be a great idea to be honest. I was at HKDL this past weekend and it was incredibly hot and humid, and this is coming from someone who has lived in Southeast Asia for most of his life. A water park would be the perfect thing to keep guests staying on site.

I had no idea that Frozen was only approved because it was sold as an extension of Fantasyland. I mean that makes sense but I just didn’t know that was the reason.

HKDL should just convert the land earmarked for a hotel into a downtown Disney area or make park promenade into something that’ll keep guests at the park well past closing time.
I’d actually like them to convert the 4th hotel space to downtown Disney but it would be better to use the promenade since the MTR station is far away from the 4th hotel space

But regardless the 4th hotel space should be used for something, but I honestly think LegCo would block a water park because of ocean park, they might be able to get away with like a big wave pool kind of complex but I definitely think between now and maybe the one day 2nd gate expansion lies in the “keep the guests on site” amenities and not in filling out the few expansion pads left

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I’d actually like them to convert the 4th hotel space to downtown Disney but it would be better to use the promenade since the MTR station is far away from the 4th hotel space
I dare say they wouldn’t want something DTD next to the hotels. Noise and all. Plus when you factor in none resort BOH, access and support, its not really that big.

Animaniac93-98

FEA's not so positive reception is mostly due to it being in World Showcase. An improved FEA in Fantasyland is great however. It's not much larger than your classic FL rides so it retains a certain charm, it's muscial, has loved characters and a cute storyline that's not necessarily a book report. This a huge win for HK, especially since it comes with what looks like a fantastically themed land and a supporting ride. Exciting!

Having a purpose built Frozen Land that's an expansion of Fantasyland with multiple rides, shops/dining etc is certainly far better than cramming less of that stuff into existing EPCOT buildings where they don't fit so well physically or thematically.

This is what Magic Kingdom should have got instead of Storybook Circus.

momo123

So I had a interesting question if I'm not mistaken there's already around $6.2b ($800m USD) already available in funds for the park. Isn't this a lot of money for a single ride? (I've read online ROTR cost around $450m USD) and that's a pretty epic ride so isn't 6.2B a lot can't they just decide to use that in a few places ? also does the government have a say in what that money is used for? I watched reviewtyme a while back and saw that there might be a smaller e ticket something like a spider-man drop tower? Also feel someone mentioned here that the government wants a Spiderman themed ride?

Supersnow84

So I had an interesting question if I'm not mistaken there's already around $6.2b ($800m USD) already available in funds for the park. Isn't this a lot of money for a single ride? (I've read online ROTR cost around $450m USD) and that's a pretty epic ride so isn't 6.2B a lot can't they just decide to use that in a few places ? also does the government have a say in what that money is used for? I watched reviewtyme a while back and saw that there might be a smaller e ticket something like a spider-man drop tower? Also feel someone mentioned here that the government wants a Spiderman themed ride?
It’s closer to 5.2 billion HKD than 6.2 billion, and with the rising costs of everything these days 580 million isn’t far off ROTR cost

As for LegCo approving everything Disney is allowed to make small changes without LegCo’s approval, the master planning for the current expansion just lists “marvel attraction” and showed some vague concept art of a nebulous attraction that no park has been able to build, if Disney decided to use that money to build a different marvel attraction on the autopia plot they likely wouldn’t need LegCo’s permission, however if Disney decided to spend say 2.5 billion on a ride to fill autopia then wanted to use the rest in a different location then LegCo would have to approve the changes made to the park from that point

As for the Spider-Man attraction I haven’t heard anything about what LegCo wants done with the autopia plot and the money as of right now

Supersnow84

It. Better. Not. Be. Web. Slingers. Or. Else.

Send
The idea I’ve seen floated is a Spider-Man version of tower of terror like DCA has guardians

I mean it’s not my favourite idea and wouldn’t have the massive presence of the quinjet style mega e ticket (ps can we just start calling mega e tickets f tickets) but it would still be a hugely solidl e ticket to round our stark expo and would give the park money to play with considering arendelle was apparently not that expensive

Supersnow84

My only qualm with ToT is sight lines. And yes, i care about that. Sue me!
I feel like Hong Kong has always been past the point of sightlines

When you can see space from mystic point the illusion is pretty much already broken

Plus the castle of magical dreams is the castle most disproportionate to the park size (Anaheim in the opposite direction) and while COMD is a great weenie it already towers into every land in the park

Rush

I feel like Hong Kong has always been past the point of sightlines

When you can see space from mystic point the illusion is pretty much already broken

Plus the castle of magical dreams is the castle most disproportionate to the park size (Anaheim in the opposite direction) and while COMD is a great weenie it already towers into every land in the park

It would help if they didn't exasperate the issue, especially since ToT will tower over the COMD 🤭

Supersnow84

It would help if they didn't exasperate the issue, especially since ToT will tower over the COMD 🤭
True but I don’t think it’s worth sacrificing an E ticket over, like you can see Elsa’s ice palace from Main Street but that wasn’t an argument against FEA

not that a spider man TOT is my first second or fifth preference for the autopia plot but something needs to be built there soon especially since the money is already allocated anyway, and from my understanding the quinjet building was also supposed to be multiple stories tall as well so would probably tower over everything thing not blocked by adventurelands trees

Rush

I
True but I don’t think it’s worth sacrificing an E ticket over, like you can see Elsa’s ice palace from Main Street but that wasn’t an argument against FEA

not that a spider man TOT is my first second or fifth preference for the autopia plot but something needs to be built there soon especially since the money is already allocated anyway, and from my understanding the quinjet building was also supposed to be multiple stories tall as well so would probably tower over everything thing not blocked by adventurelands trees

I'm not fully convinced that the D23 Multiverse ride has been shelved. As far as HK is concerned, they will coast on Arendelle until they are ready to start whatever goes on Autopia's plot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom