HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

DonaldDoleWhip

Been obsessed with the pop version of Love the Memory, what a great original song (I know it had its uses elsewhere, much like HEA, but still).

This show’s going to be a powerhouse - as disappointed as I am in what WDW got instead, I’m super happy for Hong Kong. They deserve it.

Also, I’m not going to link to it and spoil the show, but I did come across the full soundtrack on YouTube.

One listen to the ‘orchestral’ reprise of Love the Memory, and I’m bawling. It’s been a pretty intense month for me (involving family, a dramatic past, and lots of lost time), and this show’s music has what it takes to elicit an emotional reaction. It really is the Happily Ever After follow-up everyone wanted.

Last edited:

DonaldDoleWhip

Echoing more of the Hong Kong love, I visited the city + Shanghai for the first time in November '18.

Shanghai Disney had more impressive headliners, but I would much rather go back to HKDL - so incredibly charming and relaxed.

Likewise with Hong Kong vs. Shanghai; even had some issues exiting Mainland China because my Airbnb host lied about registering me accurately with the local police station (yep, that's a required thing), and I'd rather not repeat the experience. Ever.

Also, at the time, HKDL's castle looked like this:

4A88E9FF-CE62-4A91-9EB6-4A33C06D0295_1_105_c.jpeg

8733E29A-2067-4AE0-83BE-0B47C55E1C04_1_105_c.jpeg

569451AA-2799-427C-BE9E-309D46E9D7E5_1_105_c.jpeg

10FEF598-D061-4E27-B405-63467C0743EE_1_105_c.jpeg

DBE447B5-7825-4C10-978D-A6C5FB38E0A7_1_105_c.jpeg

819345CD-1380-4C56-91DF-E6D0D9C1A950_1_201_a.jpeg

IMDREW

Echoing more of the Hong Kong love, I visited the city + Shanghai for the first time in November '18.

Shanghai Disney had more impressive headliners, but I would much rather go back to HKDL - so incredibly charming and relaxed.

Likewise with Hong Kong vs. Shanghai; even had some issues exiting Mainland China because my Airbnb host lied about registering me accurately with the local police station (yep, that's a required thing), and I'd rather not repeat the experience. Ever.

Also, at the time, HKDL's castle looked like this:

View attachment 642419

View attachment 642420

View attachment 642421

View attachment 642422

View attachment 642423

View attachment 642424
I had the same experience in Shanghai. Suddenly police at my hotel door. Took me away to the station. Wasted half a day there and feared for my safety. Me as well, never again.

DonaldDoleWhip

I had the same experience in Shanghai. Suddenly police at my hotel door. Took me away to the station. Wasted half a day there and feared for my safety. Me as well, never again.
Wow. I feel lucky to have missed out on that, only experiencing some mild troubles at the airport!

100% with you - never again, no matter how cool Zootopia or a new coaster end up being.

Disney Analyst

Wow. I feel lucky to have missed out on that, only experiencing some mild troubles at the airport!

100% with you - never again, no matter how cool Zootopia or a new coaster end up being.

Oh gosh! I always wanted to visit HK… but after everything that’s happened to the city via the mainland, and now with China / Canada’s current relationship…

It seems like I will never go. I will not risk it.

DonaldDoleWhip

Oh gosh! I always wanted to visit HK… but after everything that’s happened to the city via the mainland, and now with China / Canada’s current relationship…

It seems like I will never go. I will not risk it.
I hope things turn and it becomes a possibility for you one day.

Seriously, of the four international park destinations, Japan would place at an easy #1 (fantastic memories across Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, Uji, Osaka, Hiroshima, Miyajima, Kobe, Himeji; also the parks are top-notch), but HKDL would be an easy second for me. That’s even omitting how cool Hong Kong is.

If Shanghai’s Pirates (or a similar attraction) could get built elsewhere, that whole resort would feel redundant to me, now that Tron is coming stateside. I do really like Tron, so having it in MK solves a big problem.

Paris has the most beautiful castle park, but it was a gloomy mess filled with smokers and lifeless CMs in summer ‘14. Also the most hideous shopping district, and Ratatouille was a letdown even then. I hope the WDSP improvements and Disney Village revamp can save it.

Seriously, go Hong Kong, and just like my first reaction to HEA I love this show already. ❤️

IMDREW

I hope things turn and it becomes a possibility for you one day.

Seriously, of the four international park destinations, Japan would place at an easy #1 (fantastic memories across Tokyo, Kyoto, Nara, Uji, Osaka, Hiroshima, Miyajima, Kobe, Himeji; also the parks are top-notch), but HKDL would be an easy second for me. That’s even omitting how cool Hong Kong is.

If Shanghai’s Pirates (or a similar attraction) could get built elsewhere, that whole resort would feel redundant to me, now that Tron is coming stateside. I do really like Tron, so having it in MK solves a big problem.

Paris has the most beautiful castle park, but it was a gloomy mess filled with smokers and lifeless CMs in summer ‘14. Also the most hideous shopping district, and Ratatouille was a letdown even then. I hope the WDSP improvements and Disney Village revamp can save it.

Seriously, go Hong Kong, and just like my first reaction to HEA I love this show already. ❤️
DLP has been improved immensely since then! It’s hard to imagine how good the resort has become again and more good things on the horizon.

DonaldDoleWhip

DLP has been improved immensely since then! It’s hard to imagine how good the resort has become again and more good things on the horizon.
Oh I’m willing to believe that - it sounded like my visit coincided with a maintenance low point (so many buildings looked like trash; Newport Bay Club was covered in black), and I’m open to revisiting once some of the latest initiatives are complete.

1654121811690.jpeg

Also posting my original reaction to HEA, as lately I’ve seen a narrative that ‘everyone missed Wishes and railed on HEA’ at first, with regards to how DE was perceived.

Not at all the case, and with both shows (as to be the case with Momentous), first viewing was through YouTube.

Have only experienced the show through YouTube (at least 15 times by now), but can say with certainty that I absolutely love it. The projections play a starring role, but the pyro package, soundtrack, and lasers are all compelling in their own right. Additionally, there's so much content packed into 18 minutes, but the show doesn't drag (unlike some of the other 'long' spectaculars). Highlights for me:

Introduction
  • I love how it builds, keeping our attention initially on the narration (as it should be), the contemporary, upbeat song, and the projections.
  • Gradually, the song becomes 'bigger' and more orchestral, with a powerful crescendo culminating in a big reveal of pyro + lasers.
    • Wishes also had 'dead' moments of weak (or zero) pyro, and Reflections of Earth has several minutes of it. HEA's intro is more of a fake-out, because there's plenty of pyro throughout the show.
Determination/Longing
  • The subtle use of "When You Wish Upon a Star" as a transition between bigger moments. The song gets a clear nod and segues perfectly into "Part of Your World" and "Out There."
  • "Out There." Very focused and powerful, with the projections, pyro, and soundtrack all highlighting Quasimodo's ambition.
  • Merida shooting a firework off the castle (simple but effective interaction between projection and pyro).
  • "How Far I'll Go." Another great, cohesive segment - that manta ray moment is especially breathtaking.
Friendship
  • "Friend Like Me" bookending the whole segment. Of course Genie had a role in Wishes, but here his signature song is even more prominent.
  • "Trashin' the Camp." So unexpected during my first watch, but a fun moment every time.
  • The rocket effect. Yes, it's been used in previous projection shows, but it's so much cooler with a pyro and laser backdrop.
  • Admittedly, this is my least favorite part of the show. The songs and projections are a bit sillier ("That's What Friends Are For") and we're cycling through characters quickly so people can spot their favorite (Wreck-It Ralph, Big Hero 6, Monsters Inc, etc).
Love
  • "Love is an Open Door." I really enjoy this song in its original arrangement (upbeat, cheeky, ironic), but the acoustic take is refreshing and unexpected.
  • The spotlight on family ("You'll Be in My Heart"). Romance is great, but it's really nice that love extends beyond that in this show.
  • "A Whole New World" + "I See the Light". Gorgeous combination of melodies, and a fantastic use of the lantern scene.
Adversity
  • The firecracker coming off the castle during the Mulan intro. Like the Merida moment but more exciting.
  • Ursula. You see those waves engulf the castle and you know what's next, but it's still a fantastic visual.
  • This segment basically belongs to Hans Zimmer (Lion King + Pirates score with fantastic use of pyro). That's not a bad thing.
Heroism
  • "Go the Distance" reprise. What a powerful moment with that choir, the gilded castle, and more and more characters appearing in stained glass form. Great pyro and lasers.
Finale
  • The way it bookends the show perfectly. Our narrator is back, and so is that contempo-pop song, but then...
  • Tinker Bell's reveal. It's a clear climactic moment, and all of a sudden the main song feels very, very different. I love this full version of the song, featuring the choir.
  • For the last 30 seconds, our attention is back on the castle, lasers, music, and (of course) fireworks. The message is clear: "reach out and find your happily ever after." Amazing pyro.
Yes, that's basically the whole show. As I said, I loved it. Love the use of songs and the fact that so many Renaissance/modern classics have a starring role. The new song is a winner in my book as well, especially when it layers on the greater orchestra and choir. The projections are fantastic but this show could be enjoyed without them (such as from the TTC/resorts), because the pyro is top notch - certainly more engaging than Wishes. This show is an excellent development for MK, and I'm wishing (yep) I'll have the opportunity to experience it in person.

On that note, based on soundtrack alone and the preview of projections + fountains, I’m calling it now; this show will top HEA for me. Disney is still completely capable of a powerhouse when they aren’t phoning it in (Enchantment) or guided by the wrong framework (Harmonious).

Last edited:

cjkeating

Oh I’m willing to believe that - it sounded like my visit coincided with a maintenance low point (so many buildings looked like trash; Newport Bay Club was covered in black), and I’m open to revisiting once some of the latest initiatives are complete.

View attachment 642727

Also posting my original reaction to HEA, as lately I’ve seen a narrative that ‘everyone missed Wishes and railed on HEA’ at first, with regards to how DE was perceived.

Not at all the case, and with both shows (as to be the case with Momentous), first viewing was through YouTube.

On that note, based on soundtrack alone and the preview of projections + fountains, I’m calling it now; this show will top HEA for me. Disney is still completely capable of a powerhouse when they aren’t phoning it in (Enchantment) or guided by the wrong framework (Harmonious).
That photo of Newport really takes me back... it wasn't just covered in black the wood panels were decaying and rotten! When the hotel had its refurb all of the panels were replaced with a composite material so now many years later they still look bright and shiny and not black or rotten.

J4546

Its funny to me that their are 3 frozen lands being built right now, and Im kinda waiting on them all to be done before going to the parks overseas. When Tokyo is Done that means the Fantasy Springs expansion is done and Ill def go to Disneysea first to check all that out. Then HK (hopefully shanghais zootopia land is done around the same time, i dont care about zootopia but would still like to check out the land) and I will visit both parks in CHina. And then later Paris should have their Frozen land done along with new lake show area and Ill go check out Paris parks

IMDREW

Whilst it was assumed to be a SDMT clone from the construction aerials it looked more like Barnstormer with rock work.
And that rockwork will make all the difference. Imagine the views of the land, Arendelle castle, the lake and town, Railroad and Castle of Magical Dreams from this coaster. That alone will be worth it imo!

J4546

yeah its a short coaster with a small show scene it looks like but its still a really cool land, that Id love to have in US

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
100%. We’re about to return for our 5th stay in 3 years - and you know how picky I can be !! Still looking forward to HKDL hopefully next year too of course. Although we’re also getting another quick trip in at DLP again next spring 😂

IMDREW

100%. We’re about to return for our 5th stay in 3 years - and you know how picky I can be !! Still looking forward to HKDL hopefully next year too of course. Although we’re also getting another quick trip in at DLP again next spring 😂
Do you know about a projected opening date for Arendelle at HKDL? I’m planning a trip for next or next next year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom