HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

DonaldDoleWhip

You don't have to register or even use a Visa if you take advantage of the 144-hour Visa-free transit policy when visiting Shanghai. This requires you to go to another country after China, however. Made for a good excuse to visit Tokyo after!

I went in July of 2018 (though I did stay at SDR) and had zero concerns or issues. Only had to use ExpressVPN.

Sorry you went through that, though!
I used that rule (Hong Kong to Shanghai to Osaka) and was still dinged for it as I tried to depart Shanghai.

Had even checked with my Airbnb host she’d done what she needed to do, so the passport control officials got all of her info before setting me free haha.

IMDREW

I used that rule (Hong Kong to Shanghai to Osaka) and was still dinged for it as I tried to depart Shanghai.

Had even checked with my Airbnb host she’d done what she needed to do, so the passport control officials got all of her info before setting me free haha.
Yep, also used that rule. And I stayed at a Marriott! Hotel just opened, so the explanation was the staff didn’t know they had to scan our passports yet.

DonaldDoleWhip

Yep, also used that rule. And I stayed at a Marriott! Hotel just opened, so the explanation was the staff didn’t know they had to scan our passports yet.
Having a genuine scapegoat in that situation certainly helps, but it's still not a fun one to find yourself in!

Never again for me (felt similarly even before the pandemic) - there's nowhere else I would say that about.

More HKDL, on the other hand, would be a dream come true. I really want to see Momentous!

wtyy21

On the promotional poster, Momentous has been promoted as "The Most Magical Show on Earth". That tagline was borrowed from WDW official tagline "The Most Magical Place on Earth" and 50th slogan "The World Most Magical Celebration". However, Momentous itself has been more Magical than Enchantment and maybe on par with Harmonious.

FVOBGyYacAE58KQ.jpeg

EDIT: Full first performance of Momentous with its exit music has been revealed. Additionally, Wikipedia article about Momentous has been created, despite only being draft and also contained the original name of the show (Cherish the Memories).

Last edited:

No Name

Apparently, today is the first special preview of Momentous. Situation there is rain in HKDL, so we curious to see how fireworks were shot.

The quality of the projections in the video thumbnail really set me up for disappointment! I didn’t watch the whole thing through but appearance-wise hopefully it’ll be better on a nicer day.

Disneyson

Aside from the rain, which I think really messed up the projections, I think this is probably the strongest castle show aside from Happily Ever After I’ve ever seen (barring “Remember…” because that really was made for DL).

The story was really unique, and I really appreciated the song choices that truly touched on the big moments of birth, childhood, teen/young adulting, first love, midlife crisis, and even death, which I think can sometimes either be shoehorned into shows or else totally ignored, though it’s a major reason we feel what we feel while watching Disney movies. I think I’d really have to see a clean run of this show, but the arc of the show and the lighting are on point. I admired the musical choices greatly (You’ll Be In My Heart and the Inside Out theme medley is inspired, and Kiss The Girl gets so little attention due to the other love song heavy hitters. Appreciated Following the Leader getting snuck in there, and the sparing use of Frozen. Remember Me is going to become a staple of these shows soon, I can sense it.)

TTA94

Aside from the rain, which I think really messed up the projections, I think this is probably the strongest castle show aside from Happily Ever After I’ve ever seen (barring “Remember…” because that really was made for DL).

The story was really unique, and I really appreciated the song choices that truly touched on the big moments of birth, childhood, teen/young adulting, first love, midlife crisis, and even death, which I think can sometimes either be shoehorned into shows or else totally ignored, though it’s a major reason we feel what we feel while watching Disney movies. I think I’d really have to see a clean run of this show, but the arc of the show and the lighting are on point. I admired the musical choices greatly (You’ll Be In My Heart and the Inside Out theme medley is inspired, and Kiss The Girl gets so little attention due to the other love song heavy hitters. Appreciated Following the Leader getting snuck in there, and the sparing use of Frozen. Remember Me is going to become a staple of these shows soon, I can sense it.)

Just my opinion but I think Shanghai’s Illuminate is the strongest show.

wtyy21

In regards of pyrotechnics and how many fireworks that can be shot at international Disney parks, SDL Illuminate is far strongest show. We can see how much fireworks that can be shot despite only small size fireworks and brocade waterfall effects that are clearly improvement over former Ignite the Dream (now become DLP-only show under the name Disney illuminations, see the Spoiler). That's a part where Momentous clearly show disadventage due to construction of Frozenland who maybe knows whether they resume using high pyro elements).

In regards of storyline, Illuminate and Momentous are thematically based on HEA, with the latter having a storyline closer to HEA (don't forget, Momentous creator team are same as HEA). The only advantage that Illuminate has in the storyline, is the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which Momentous doesn't have at all.

Disneyson

I mean, I think that we all know the pyro is simply impossible, but after Frozen I imagine they can add some back in. Of course, I’m grading on a DLP/Tokyo level where I know there are limits on the sound due to neighbors. The story and other effects raise the show to a whole new bar for me. And frankly, I find the exclusion of Star Wars and Marvel to the benefit of the show, which banks heavily on using the castle’s unique fairy-tale silhouette.

TTA94

In regards of pyrotechnics and how many fireworks that can be shot at international Disney parks, SDL Illuminate is far strongest show. We can see how much fireworks that can be shot despite only small size fireworks and brocade waterfall effects that are clearly improvement over former Ignite the Dream (now become DLP-only show under the name Disney illuminations, see the Spoiler). That's a part where Momentous clearly show disadventage due to construction of Frozenland who maybe knows whether they resume using high pyro elements).

In regards of storyline, Illuminate and Momentous are thematically based on HEA, with the latter having a storyline closer to HEA (don't forget, Momentous creator team are same as HEA). The only advantage that Illuminate has in the storyline, is the Marvel Cinematic Universe, which Momentous doesn't have at all.

Illuminate is also the first castle nighttime show to use lighting and lasers around the hub making it more immersive. Hoping MKs next show is similar even if it’s HEA but with updates. MK needs to be brought up to speed with the fountains at least.

wtyy21

From the comment of Hong Kong Disney Geek YouTube channel, Momentous will have two more soft openings after its soft open for media and stakeholders. Tomorrow (Hong Kong Time) they will preview the show for cast members and their families, and Friday for Plantinum Magic Access (HKDL AP holders). Its like TDL Once upon A Time and World of Color have initial multiple soft opens for different guests before its official premiere.

14 June Media & Stakeholders preview
16 June Cast Members’ Family and Friends Preview
17 June Platinum Magic Access (annual pass) Preview
18 June Official debut of Momentous to public.

Regardless of inclement weather, the show must going on performance. Let's hopeful tomorrow performance will be better than on yesterday despite HKDL closure on June 16.

PymParty

Bear in mind that HKDL park will not be able to have any large shell fireworks in its nightime spectaculars anymore like they used to have before the castle transformation (apart, maybe, on special occasions). This is because Frozen land is being built on a backstage parcel of land, right behind the castle and Fantasyland, that used to be the area used to launch the big shell fireworks (and the fallout zone).

wtyy21

Yesterday (HKT), there's second soft opening preview of Momentous, this time for cast members, their families, and friends. Too much crowd at HKDL giving its highly-anticipated nighttime spectacular after 4 years of no fireworks here. There was no rain at the time, giving more clearly look of the projections and of course music. However, no Main Street projections here. Here's the two videos (one video again from HKDL Fantasy, which see some accident regarding pyrotechnics at 2:23, 19:25, and 19:31).

The second video comes from Hong Kong Main Street Gazzette:

ADDITION: Disney Parks twitter account just release official video footage of Momentous, where many of them appreciate the show more than Enchantment or even Disneyland Forever, aside from no high fireworks at HKDL.

Last edited:

SweetDuffy101

Finally got to see it in full showmode without the rain and here are my thoughts.

Im really proud of Hongkong Disneyland for getting and giving us Momentous, You really feel like they put a lot of heart and effort into this show, and it gives me the same feelings that i had with Happily Ever After and Illuminate!.

Congratulations to Hongkong Disneyland.

Meanwhile whoever made Disney Enchantment and Harmonious should learn alot from this show,
This is how you do a nighttime spectacular.

wtyy21

Today in Hong kong is a big day for HKDL and maybe Disney Parks, as HKDL will debut officially long-anticipated Momentous nighttime spectacular after four year suspension of fireworks due to renovation of the castle.

Ahead of the official premiere, a video released by Hong Kong Main Street Gazette has been told us about Magic Access Platinum Member Preview of the show. There's lot of improvement yesterday Hong Kong time.

EDIT: Multi-angle version of Momentous preview for cast members has been released, completed with pre-show from 30 minute showtime and special message from Micheal, Tony and Lily.

Commercials regarding Momentous has been released, in Cantonese and English (not see in Mandarin), clearly promoted it as the Most Magical Show on Earth (奇妙之最,閃亮夜空).

Last edited:

DonaldDoleWhip

No surprise after listening to the leaked soundtrack, but I’m obsessed with this show. The music, the message, the projections, the fountains; they all coalesce so beautifully, especially during “Remember Me” and the signature song.

Some larger pyro at certain moments would have been great, but I would take this any day over something like Enchantment.

Also have to say Illuminate looks great - had never seen anything from it before this thread, but it’s so much better than what Shanghai had in 2018.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom