Here we go again...

Woody13

Kadee said:
I hope they left, too. I just can not imagine what they went through if they stayed. I remember how I felt when Ivan was passing over my house and Ivan was a whimp compared to Katrina. They had to have been terrified. I hope they get somewhere so that they are safe and can contact us.
If they stayed and if they survived, they're going through Hell right now! I know because Ivan was no "whimp" in my area. It kicked our butts and we were prepared for the worst with food, water, beer, medications, lights and all the "comforts" of home. It was still Hell. Using various techniques, I had to re-educate looters on more than one occasion. However, I understand and appreciate your comparison Kadee!
Kadee said:
My husband's brother lives in Gautier (east of Biloxi, west of Pascagoula) and we have not heard from him yet. He is an EMT and was on call. It may be a long time before we hear from anyone in that area.
Yes, that concerns me as well. Several friends I have in that area that did not evacuate are members of the law enforcement community and they too were on call. I haven't been able to get in touch with any of them since this disaster. They are all "muscle heads" so they will survive. I am confident your brother-in-law will be just fine!

tigsmom

DDuckFan130 said:
Woody omg...my prayers go out to your friend. This is just going to become worse with the passing days. And now I really do fear for MKCP and Ringo :(

I was worried about them before, but now my stomach is in a knot.

I think the good Lord will be very busy tonight listening to my long littany of prayers.

Woody, I'm so sorry for your friend, but at least he is lucky to have his family and a friend like you.:kiss:

prberk

Woody13 said:
Now, for the bad news. We were watching some of the video coverage of the aftermath of Katrina on TV today from one of the local stations. They had some aerial shots of the MS Gulf coast. As we were watching, one of my friends broke down in tears. I asked him what was wrong and he replied, "Damn it Woody, that was a picture of what was my home. It's all gone, it's all gone, it's all gone...". It brought me to tears too to hear him say that and I couldn't think of anything to say that might help. So instead, I fought back the tears and I told him, "Hey I need some help outside cleaning up these tree limbs". We went outside and went to work. I didn't have any words or advice to help. The only thing I knew to do was to stay busy.

Well, one that you can tell them is that you at least have a small army of friends online here praying for them and thinking about them. And I am sure that many of us from around the globe will be doing what we can to contribute and help restore their communities.

Small consolation, I am sure, to people who have just seen their lives devastated. But hope nonetheless. And hope springs eternal, as it must. I am also sure that they really appreciate your being there for them during this amazing time of need.

Which brings me to something that has really called my attention during this coverage. It occurred to me that, just as we can't hear from many of the people we fear to be affected (like MKCP and Ringo), I realize that the media coverage (and internet boards) really mostly reaches those of us who have power and are O.K. The people who are stranded and waiting for help probably have little or no way (except perhaps battery radios) to hear from the outside world and see how bad it is. It must be horrifying.

What I realize now is that the media coverage now should help us all who can hear the news to find ways to help. I am sure that within days, the Red Cross, Salvation Army, National Guard, church missions agencies, and other professionals will be getting to the stranded and organizing relief. I know some friends at the Virginia Baptist Board who have professional teams and relief trailers (mobile soup kitchens and mud-out teams) that they are organized to bring. I am sure that there are many others like this who are mobilized.

So, I guess what I am thinking is that we need to get two messages out the best that we can:

- To most of the world: assess how you can help, through money or donations to agencies you trust, or to people that you know.

- To anyone affected that can get our message: hope is there; and help is on the way. Stay civil, and let others know how we might help (either through agencies or friends). Don't let pride get in the way.

Anyway, that is all I can think to say right now. My thoughts and prayers continue to go out to all of you within my voice (the internet) who are affected. MKCP and Ringo, we are leaving the lights on for you. And if you can hear us, let us know how we can help.

Paul

pinkrose

I don't know about MKCP, but Ringo said she has a 3yr old child. Children have a soft spot in my heart and I'm really worried (about all of them).

tigsmom

pinkrose said:
I don't know about MKCP, but Ringo said she has a 3yr old child. Children have a soft spot in my heart and I'm really worried (about all of them).

He has two kids.

I'm worried about all of our friends & their families also.

Safari Giraffe

I have read the majority of this thread and have to say my stomach is also in knots worrying about MKCP and Ringo and everyone else that is affected by this disaster. I have been praying for several days now and hope that my prayers are heard and those affected will be safe and reunited with their loved ones. I honestly have tears in my eyes while I am typing this. I hope we hear from them soon.:(

thinkerbell

Account Suspended
"As we were watching, one of my friends broke down in tears. I asked him what was wrong and he replied, "Damn it Woody, that was a picture of what was my home. It's all gone, it's all gone, it's all gone...". It brought me to tears too to hear him say that"

I am so sad for your friend, my prayers go out to those affected by this disaster :cry:

MicBat

Im safe here in Baton Rouge. I heard a little about my house i Slidell that put me at ease a bit. My brother got a text from a friend of his saying there was just a tree on the house but everything else looked ok. I'm just hoping the tree didn't fall through the roof. I guess the fact that my family is all ok is what's most important. I wasn't able to get ahold of my parents, who evacuated to Florida, for 2 days so I started freaking out. But we finally reached eachother yesterday. From other things I was told, it looks as though a tornado went ripping through my part of town. Certain places (Winn Dixie, half of the bowling alley) have been completely leveled.

Michael.. Hope all is well with your house and everything. Where did you evacuate to?

Hope everyone else affected by the storm is doing ok! Best of luck to everyone!!

tigsmom

MicBat said:
Im safe here in Baton Rouge. I heard a little about my house i Slidell that put me at ease a bit. My brother got a text from a friend of his saying there was just a tree on the house but everything else looked ok. I'm just hoping the tree didn't fall through the roof. I guess the fact that my family is all ok is what's most important. I wasn't able to get ahold of my parents, who evacuated to Florida, for 2 days so I started freaking out. But we finally reached eachother yesterday. From other things I was told, it looks as though a tornado went ripping through my part of town. Certain places (Winn Dixie, half of the bowling alley) have been completely leveled.

Michael.. Hope all is well with your house and everything. Where did you evacuate to?

Hope everyone else affected by the storm is doing ok! Best of luck to everyone!!

Jonnie! So good to hear from you! Glad your family is safe, the house can be fixed or replaced, but you all can't be. (((HUGS)))

Woody13

tigsmom said:
Jonnie! So good to hear from you! Glad your family is safe, the house can be fixed or replaced, but you all can't be. (((HUGS)))
I second that! Good for you MicBat!:sohappy: That makes me feel a lot better.

We took a drive over to Biloxi and Gulfport, MS today to inspect the damage of my friends homes and attempt some repairs. I have a lot of tarps, roofing nails, roofing cement, lumber and other stuff left over from Ivan and Dennis. So, we packed up several SUV's with repair material and several cases of MRE's and water and then headed on over first thing this morning. We left the children at my house with their mom's and aunts watching more Disney movies.

Well, I don't need to describe the extent of the damage. You've seen it on TV. It looks like a war zone. We had to be careful not to run over debris in the roadway. We didn't see any local law enforcement or fire and rescue. We brought firearms too, just in case. We went first to my buddies house that was gone. Indeed, it was gone. However, he was able to find pieces of his house and personal belongings spread along a corridor about 1/4 mile long. He and another friend stayed there to collect what they could and we left to go to another house.

The second house we found was in fair shape but had severe roof damage. We set to work patching holes and nailing down tarps. I'm an expert tarp installer due to my extensive Ivan experience! Of course, there was no water, electric or other utilities. I shut off all the main breakers to prevent damage when power is one day restored. From the looks of things, it's going to be a long time before they get power back.

Before I forget, I need to add a personal story that relates to this mess. Back in late July, 2004 I was hospitalized for about a week and hooked up to all sorts of monitors. I was not allowed to get out of bed and I could not take a shower! I hate being stinky! In the old days, nurses would give you sponge baths in your hospital bed. Now, they have a product called Comfort Bath. These are disposable, moisturized washcloths that you use to clean yourself. They suggest that you warm them up in a microwave but that is not really necessary. These things are great! After I was released from the hospital, I bought a case of these things. I'm glad I did because they worked great during Ivan. I bought another case after Ivan and brought that case to MS.

We moved on to several other of our friends houses in the that area and performed similar repairs. We contacted some other friends in that area that had sheltered in their homes and did some more repairs. They were clearly suffering from post traumatic stress syndrome. The stories they told about the howling winds, rising water and how they thought they were going to die reminded me of Ivan. When I asked them if they would like to come over and stay with us in Florida they did not hesitate to accept the invitation. I told them that some would have to stay on the back porch and others camp in a tent in the back yard. One buddy said, "Woody, Hell would be better than this." Gosh, that was quite the complement! Living over at Woody's house is Hell! We gave them some Comfort Bath packs and told them to clean up first........because they stank to high heaven! :lol:

We decided to get out. It was hot, humid, with no shade and just plain nasty. We distributed the water, MRE's and Comfort Bath packs among people in the neighborhoods. We also left 6 ice coolers with ice and assorted drinks. We went back and helped our first friend pick up some personal items and then we all got out. When we drove home, we had the radio tuned into WWL 870 AM. The reports out of New Orleans were very depressing but we just had to listen. News reports are saying that gasoline is going to be in short supply around here so I don't know if we're going to be able to make any more trips over to MS.

We've got 1,000's of Katrina evacuee's staying here in Florida that need food, water, etc. The local charity organizations are doing wonderful work to help these people. Sam's Club sells the Comfort Bath packs. We're going over there tonight and buy several cases which we will drop off at the relief distribution center. It isn't much but it will make a few people more comfortable.

This last part is hard. I haven't heard from one of my friends since before the storm. We went by his house. It was gone. Nothing left but the foundation. We searched in the logical direction of the path of destruction and found nothing. Haven't heard a thing from him and I don't know if he decided to shelter in place or if he decided to go. When I call his cell phone, all I get is, "We're sorry, but that number can not be completed as dialed".

tigsmom

Woody13 said:

We took a drive over to Biloxi and Gulfport, MS today to inspect the damage of my friends homes and attempt some repairs. I have a lot of tarps, roofing nails, roofing cement, lumber and other stuff left over from Ivan and Dennis. So, we packed up several SUV's with repair material and several cases of MRE's and water and then headed on over first thing this morning. We left the children at my house with their mom's and aunts watching more Disney movies....

Oh my! What a story! :( How sweet of you to help others, but with all you have been thru I'm not suprised at all.

I hope you hear from your friend soon. ((HUGS))

DDuckFan130

I can't add more to what Mad said, but I really do wish you the best in finding your friend. You have a heart of gold to be doing what you're doing. Lots of *hugs* for you :)

Erika

Woody13 said:

We took a drive over to Biloxi and Gulfport, MS today to inspect the damage of my friends homes and attempt some repairs. I have a lot of tarps, roofing nails, roofing cement, lumber and other stuff left over from Ivan and Dennis. So, we packed up several SUV's with repair material and several cases of MRE's and water and then headed on over first thing this morning. We left the children at my house with their mom's and aunts watching more Disney movies.

Well, I don't need to describe the extent of the damage. You've seen it on TV. It looks like a war zone. We had to be careful not to run over debris in the roadway. We didn't see any local law enforcement or fire and rescue. We brought firearms too, just in case. We went first to my buddies house that was gone. Indeed, it was gone. However, he was able to find pieces of his house and personal belongings spread along a corridor about 1/4 mile long. He and another friend stayed there to collect what they could and we left to go to another house.

The second house we found was in fair shape but had severe roof damage. We set to work patching holes and nailing down tarps. I'm an expert tarp installer due to my extensive Ivan experience! Of course, there was no water, electric or other utilities. I shut off all the main breakers to prevent damage when power is one day restored. From the looks of things, it's going to be a long time before they get power back.

Before I forget, I need to add a personal story that relates to this mess. Back in late July, 2004 I was hospitalized for about a week and hooked up to all sorts of monitors. I was not allowed to get out of bed and I could not take a shower! I hate being stinky! In the old days, nurses would give you sponge baths in your hospital bed. Now, they have a product called Comfort Bath. These are disposable, moisturized washcloths that you use to clean yourself. They suggest that you warm them up in a microwave but that is not really necessary. These things are great! After I was released from the hospital, I bought a case of these things. I'm glad I did because they worked great during Ivan. I bought another case after Ivan and brought that case to MS.

We moved on to several other of our friends houses in the that area and performed similar repairs. We contacted some other friends in that area that had sheltered in their homes and did some more repairs. They were clearly suffering from post traumatic stress syndrome. The stories they told about the howling winds, rising water and how they thought they were going to die reminded me of Ivan. When I asked them if they would like to come over and stay with us in Florida they did not hesitate to accept the invitation. I told them that some would have to stay on the back porch and others camp in a tent in the back yard. One buddy said, "Woody, Hell would be better than this." Gosh, that was quite the complement! Living over at Woody's house is Hell! We gave them some Comfort Bath packs and told them to clean up first........because they stank to high heaven! :lol:

We decided to get out. It was hot, humid, with no shade and just plain nasty. We distributed the water, MRE's and Comfort Bath packs among people in the neighborhoods. We also left 6 ice coolers with ice and assorted drinks. We went back and helped our first friend pick up some personal items and then we all got out. When we drove home, we had the radio tuned into WWL 870 AM. The reports out of New Orleans were very depressing but we just had to listen. News reports are saying that gasoline is going to be in short supply around here so I don't know if we're going to be able to make any more trips over to MS.

We've got 1,000's of Katrina evacuee's staying here in Florida that need food, water, etc. The local charity organizations are doing wonderful work to help these people. Sam's Club sells the Comfort Bath packs. We're going over there tonight and buy several cases which we will drop off at the relief distribution center. It isn't much but it will make a few people more comfortable.

This last part is hard. I haven't heard from one of my friends since before the storm. We went by his house. It was gone. Nothing left but the foundation. We searched in the logical direction of the path of destruction and found nothing. Haven't heard a thing from him and I don't know if he decided to shelter in place or if he decided to go. When I call his cell phone, all I get is, "We're sorry, but that number can not be completed as dialed".

In light of all your friends have been through, I am sure they are eternally greatful to have someone like you in their lives.

I hope the last person is safe somewhere and that you are able to reach him soon.

Erika

MicBat said:

Jonnie, I am so glad your house seems to have suffered only some damage and nothing worse. Hang in there. I can't begin to imagine what you and so many other people are going through right now.

Count me in among those worried about MKCP and Ringo. If they are OK, it will probably be some time before they are able to let us know. So I am hopding out a godo amount of hope. They probably have a lot more on their minds than contacting us at WDWMagic, and chances are good they couldn't even if they wanted to.

WDWScottieBoy

Woody, I can tell already...there is a special place in Heaven for you. You have showed nothing but love and care through this whole thing. By having all the people at your house, leaving supplies to those in MS, just everything, you truly are a gift!

Please keep us updated, and I hope we get the good news on your friend that you haven't heard from.

As far as your friend's houses, like Mad has said....those can be replaced, it's the friends and family that cannot.

catinthehat

My thoughts and prayers go out to each and every person affected by the hurricane-- it is truly a travesty-- I feel so terrible sitting up north-- I feel like I should be down there doing something. let's all do all we can.

pinkrose

Jonnie!!! I'm so glad that things aren't as bad with your house as you were thinking. As Mad said, the most imortant thing is that you and your family are safe. :)

Woody, it's so sweet of you to help out your friends like that. You are a wonderful person.

A friend of mine has a friend who's going down to Mobile and Ms. on Friday to help out family. They are renting a U-haul and taking supplies to pass out to who ever they run into that needs something. They bought generators, hand gel, diapers, wipes, toliet tissue, bottled water, ect. I bought a buch of things to send down with them as well. I only wish I had to money to do more. Now would be a good time to be rich. It makes me feel really bad that I can't do more. While I was shopping, there were so many people in there from Ms. and our coast buying supplies. It's so sad. :(

Here's a picture from the Al. coast .... tihs is a swimming pool filled with sand (from the abc33/40 weather blog).

Pool_under_sand.jpg

PhotoMom524

My thoughts & prayers are with everyone! Kadee - glad to hear you are okay. I've got a question for Woody...I've got extra pots & pans, linens and household stuff as I had to clean out my Mom's apt (she's in medical care now). I'm sure your friend will need that kind of stuff once he relocates. How can I get these things to your friends who will need them once the get relocated (even if it's a while away)?

I thought about giving them to the Red Cross / Salvation Army where they will be used, but I want to make sure they go to people who reallly need them from this disaster. Please let your friends know the extra household stuff is theirs once they are ready for them.

Woody13

PhotoMom524 said:
My thoughts & prayers are with everyone! Kadee - glad to hear you are okay. I've got a question for Woody...I've got extra pots & pans, linens and household stuff as I had to clean out my Mom's apt (she's in medical care now). I'm sure your friend will need that kind of stuff once he relocates. How can I get these things to your friends who will need them once the get relocated (even if it's a while away)?

I thought about giving them to the Red Cross / Salvation Army where they will be used, but I want to make sure they go to people who reallly need them from this disaster. Please let your friends know the extra household stuff is theirs once they are ready for them.
Oh, that is so very kind of you to make such an offer and I will tell my friends of your generous gesture. Your expression of concern alone will act as wonderful medicine for these displaced families. Thank you! I have printed out your post along with others to show my friends. I know it will help bolster them during this time. I would suggest that you offer those items to your local Red Cross/Salvation Army because charity begins at home.

Let me try to put this into perspective. Money and other stuff is needed in the long run, but it doesn't do a lot of good right now. If I were to offer the average storm victim the choice between a $100 bill and a case of cold water, they'd take the water! I know because I've been there. I know because I was faced with the same problem about a year ago. Water, ice and MRE's are like gold! You would kill for fresh crackers and peanut butter. Heck, even stale crackers are worth their weight in gold! We're talking about basic survival.

All of the people I know that got whacked by this storm have good jobs and earn a decent living. They're not rich but they have money in the bank. Their houses are fully insured and they will recover. Money is not the problem for them. There is no place to spend any money! Right now they just need the basics.

Those people still sheltered in place face a lot of other problems. Aside from the fact that all utilities are gone, government services such as law enforcement are nonexistent. Vermin are ubiquitous. Looters run wild and unless you can protect yourself, you are going to be a victim. Rats and mice thrive in these conditions and do their thing! Mold and mildew grow everywhere because of the water intrusion which comes from either flooding or wind driven rain or both. Where do you go to the bathroom when the water is off and the drains don't work? It ain't fun. I could tell you horror stories about this situation, but I'm not going to go down that alley.

Gasoline is in short supply in our area. We don't know if we're going to be able to make another run over to MS or AL or anyplace else. I'm angry.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom