Here we go again...

Nemo14

So, (perhaps we should start a new thread about this?), What newscaster/weatherperson, etc. would you most like to see knocked on their butt for standing out in the middle of a hurricane?:p

CaptainMichael

wdwfanaustria said:
Oh, my GOD....
On TV they just reported that NO could be destroyed completely and the USA is going to lose one of their cities.
Slight damage, yes. Maximum destruction, no.

wdwfanaustria said:
I wish you all the best over there. I hope everybody is safe right now.
I visited NO in 2001 and loved this beautiful city and the friendly people there. I planned to come back next year.
If you really knew New Orleans, you'd know that a start over would do it a world of good for the city.

wdwfanaustria said:
Don't want to get political but I hope catastrophes like this will change your president's opinion about global warming.
Hate to break it to you, but hurricanes have been occuring since the beginning of time, long before Republicans and automobiles.

STR8FAN2005 said:
Slight damage, yes. Maximum destruction, no..
I hope you're right!!!!

STR8FAN2005 said:
If you really knew New Orleans, you'd know that a start over would do it a world of good for the city...
I was there as a normal tourist so yes I don't really know New Orleans. I liked what I've seen and had a lot of fun there.

STR8FAN2005 said:
Hate to break it to you, but hurricanes have been occuring since the beginning of time, long before Republicans and automobiles.

Right, hurricanes have always been there but they intensified over the last years. So there's no reason to become polemic.
Here's an interesting link: http://www.physorg.com/news4573.html

WDWScottieBoy

20.jpg

New Orleans "lucked" out on this by being on the left side of the eyewall and not the right side. That said, they will still get 120mph winds, the strong rains and storm surges.

wannab@dis

wdwfanaustria said:
Right, hurricanes have always been there but they intensified over the last years. So there's no reason to become polemic.
Here's an interesting link: http://www.physorg.com/news4573.html

Your opinion, but...

The link you provided actually states that it's impossible to scientifically conclude that humans have any affect on the intensity of the huricanes. It is known scientifically that hurricane intensity goes up and down in a cyclical manner and has to do with global weather patterns.

As far as polemic posts... you're the one that violated the ToS for this forum by making political statements. :wave:

WDWScottieBoy

Just wanted to update:

I'm watching CNN right now and they are saying that part of rooding at the Superdome in NO is ripping away or has already ripped away. There are tens of thousands of people in there, and that place is becoming not as safe now either. :(

My thoughts and prayers to all those in the way.

CaptainMichael

WDWScottieBoy said:
Just wanted to update:

I'm watching CNN right now and they are saying that part of rooding at the Superdome in NO is ripping away or has already ripped away. There are tens of thousands of people in there, and that place is becoming not as safe now either. :(

My thoughts and prayers to all those in the way.
I appreciate your thoughts and prayers. Please pray for Slidell and the MS Gulf Coast, we need it the most!

WDWScottieBoy

*WARNING*

You guys are treading into some iffy grounds.

Let's keep this to Katrina.

STR8FAN2005, my thoughts and prayers to Slidell and all the gulf coast. Now that I'm back to class, I've got CNN back on, and starting to see the destruction, but it's not even close to being over.

Tim G

Weather Update...

Updated: 5:46 am CDT on August 29, 2005

Inland Hurricane Warning in effect...
Hurricane Warning in effect...
Tornado Watch 754 in effect until noon CDT today...
Flood Watch is in effect...

Widespread rain and isolated thunderstorms in the morning...then widespread rain in the afternoon. Hurricane force winds. Rain will be heavy at times. Highs in the lower 80s. East winds 40 to 55 mph with gusts to around 90 mph becoming south and increasing to 50 to 95 mph with gusts to around 125 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 100 percent.

NexRad Radar (Biloxi) Base Reflectivity 0.50 Degree Elevation Range 124 NMI

Nexrad radar (Louisiana) went down

NIDS_08map.gif

CaptainMichael

Just found out that I may not have a house anymore. A subdivsion a few minutes from my house is said to be completely gone now. As the day goes on, I should be hearing more about Slidell from officials in that area. It doesn't look good.

Just a little FYI: When they are talking about "East" New Orleans, they mean east OF New Orleans which is a place called St. Bernard Parish. This is where people are standing on their roofs and where the insane floods are.

The damage in the real New Orleans, pales in comparrison to what has happened to Chalmette, the Rigolets, Slidell, Waveland, etc...

SpongeScott

Original Poster
STR8FAN2005 said:
Just found out that I may not have a house anymore. A subdivsion a few minutes from my house is said to be completely gone now. As the day goes on, I should be hearing more about Slidell from officials in that area. It doesn't look good.

Just a little FYI: When they are talking about "East" New Orleans, they mean east OF New Orleans which is a place called St. Bernard Parish. This is where people are standing on their roofs and where the insane floods are.

The damage in the real New Orleans, pales in comparrison to what has happened to Chalmette, the Rigolets, Slidell, Waveland, etc...
not trying to split hairs here, but having lived in NO, we always considered Chalmette, the West Bank, etc. all part of NO. Slidell and the rest we did not. And remember, there is a New Orleans East area, so damage could be bad there too.

I sincerely hope you are wrong about your house or that subdivision.

CaptainMichael

SpongeScott said:
not trying to split hairs here, but having lived in NO, we always considered Chalmette, the West Bank, etc. all part of NO. Slidell and the rest we did not. And remember, there is a New Orleans East area, so damage could be bad there too.

I sincerely hope you are wrong about your house or that subdivision.
Yeah, there is a very good possibility that New Orleans East has seen some dammage, but I was going on what the media has been saying about East New Orleans and comparing it to the news I've been getting from other sources.

I hope my house is there also, but more than likely, it isn't. Since you lived in the area, you may have heard about the subdivison. It is called Venetian Isles and is part of New Orleans East.

SpongeScott

Original Poster
STR8FAN2005 said:
Yeah, there is a very good possibility that New Orleans East has seen some dammage, but I was going on what the media has been saying about East New Orleans and comparing it to the news I've been getting from other sources.

I hope my house is there also, but more than likely, it isn't. Since you lived in the area, you may have heard about the subdivison. It is called Venetian Isles and is part of New Orleans East.
Well, it's been almost 20 years since I've lived there, so I'm sure the area has really changed. Where in NOEast is Venetian Isles? If you can give me some major road names, that would help. Where is your home in Slidell in comparison to Robert Road?

DisneyLSU2000

We're fine in Baton Rouge...just lots of debris and no electricity (I'm on dial-up and a laptop battery)...We're anxiously awaiting more reports from the New Orleans area where my boyfriend's family lives. There's still people on rooftops, etc. down there, but officials on the radio just said they're finally beginning to be able to get out and help them and survey the damage. I hope our friends on the Mississippi Gulf coast are faring okay.

SpongeScott

Original Poster
DisneyLSU2000 said:
We're fine in Baton Rouge...just lots of debris and no electricity (I'm on dial-up and a laptop battery)...We're anxiously awaiting more reports from the New Orleans area where my boyfriend's family lives. There's still people on rooftops, etc. down there, but officials on the radio just said they're finally beginning to be able to get out and help them and survey the damage. I hope our friends on the Mississippi Gulf coast are faring okay.
keep us posted if you can.

CaptainMichael

SpongeScott said:
Well, it's been almost 20 years since I've lived there, so I'm sure the area has really changed. Where in NOEast is Venetian Isles? If you can give me some major road names, that would help. Where is your home in Slidell in comparison to Robert Road?
Venetian Isles is on Hwy 90 near the Rigolets.

I live in Doubloon Bayou Estates which is located on Doubloon Bayou. It is near the intersection of Military Rd.and Fremeaux (Hwy. 190). I'm about 10-15min away from Robert Rd.

Woody13

DisneyLSU2000 said:
I hope our friends on the Mississippi Gulf coast are faring okay.
That is my concern too. Mississippi took the major brunt of this storm. They got the full strength of the northeast quadrant. We're over in Florida and the winds have been strong since about 3 AM this morning. I have a good anemometer at my house and we were getting steady winds of 85 MPH at 8 AM with some gusts up to 110 MPH. It's now 2:30 PM and the winds are starting to decline. However, we're still getting some heavy wind gusts.

This storm has moved rather slowly. 12 straight hours of dangerous winds is taking its toll.

Woody13

I have several friends that live in Gulfport and Ocean Springs, MS and they came over to my house yesterday. We've been trying to call other friends that live in Biloxi, MS but we've been unable to get through to them. Interstate 10 is closed at the Bankhead tunnel in Mobile, Alabama so they're going to have to stay with us for a least a few more days.

Power has been going on and off all day. Fortunately, I have a big UPS so I can keep the computer up and running for an hour without power. Cable is out to most homes, however, I have an exterior TV antenna (still undamaged) so I have been able to see the various video feeds coming out of LA and MS. Lots of roof damage on homes is very evident and the normal flooding in low lying areas. Power just went out again!

I can tell you from first hand experience with both Ivan and Dennis that the Mississippi Gulf coast got hammered hard and so did many interior parts of Mississippi. Radio and television stations that have their antennas in Mississippi are mostly off the air or putting out a very weak signal. Many homes have suffered extensive damage. Even those homes that might have escaped serious roof damage are still going to be without power and water for at least the next week.

However, the real bottom line is that all of you people far away from the storm area are probably getting better news reports than we are getting. Everyone around here is sick and tired of hurricanes so the local media is trying to be very upbeat. I'm a seeing a lot more detailed information via the Internet, than what I am seeing on the TV. So, let us know what you hear.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom