Here we go again...

Tim G

Mayor of New Orleans orders mandatory evacuation of residents as Category 5 Hurricane Katrina targets city.

Computer Magic

Corrus said:
Mayor of New Orleans orders mandatory evacuation of residents as Category 5 Hurricane Katrina targets city.
NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana (CNN) -- New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin declared a state of emergency on Sunday and ordered a mandatory evacuation of the city as Hurricane Katrina churned toward the city with maximum sustained winds of nearly 175 mph.

All of Orleans Parish falls under the order except for necessary personnel in government, emergency and some other public service categories.

People who are unable to evacuate were told to immediately report to a designated shelter.

"I wish I had better news for you, but we are facing a storm that most of us have feared," Nagin said. "I do not want to create panic, but I do want the citizens to understand that this is very serious and it's of the highest nature."

Traffic out of the city was bumper to bumper -- but officials said that it was moving.

story.kat.animate.1015am.gif

This animated satellite image shows Hurricane Katrina approaching the Gulf Coast Sunday morning.

General Grizz

This makes it the number 3-strongest storm that would hit the US mainland...

My thoughts and prayers are out to all of you living within this storm's path. Please take the necessary precautions and evacuate if you are in the path.

pinkrose

- Weather Message
National Weather Service New Orleans La
1011 Am Cdt Sun Aug 28 2005

...devastating Damage Expected...

.hurricane Katrina...a Most Powerful Hurricane With Unprecedented Strength...rivaling The Intensity Of Hurricane Camille Of 1969.

most Of The Area Will Be Uninhabitable For Weeks...perhaps Longer. At Least One Half Of Well Constructed Homes Will Have Roof And Wall Failure. All Gabled Roofs Will Fail...leaving Those Homes Severely Damaged Or Destroyed.

The Majority Of Industrial Buildings Will Become Non Functional. Partial To Complete Wall And Roof Failure Is Expected. All Wood Framed Low Rising Apartment Buildings Will Be Destroyed. Concrete Block Low Rise Apartments Will Sustain Major Damage...including Some Wall And Roof Failure.

High Rise Office And Apartment Buildings Will Sway Dangerously...a Few To The Point Of Total Collapse. All Windows Will Blow Out.

Airborne Debris Will Be Widespread...and May Include Heavy Items Such As Household Appliances And Even Light Vehicles. Sport Utility Vehicles And Light Trucks Will Be Moved. The Blown Debris Will Create Additional Destruction. Persons...pets...and Livestock Exposed To The Winds Will Face Certain Death If Struck.

Power Outages Will Last For Weeks...as Most Power Poles Will Be Down And Transformers Destroyed. Water Shortages Will Make Human Suffering Incredible By Modern Standards.

The Vast Majority Of Native Trees Will Be Snapped Or Uprooted. Only The Heartiest Will Remain Standing...but Be Totally Defoliated. Few Crops Will Remain. Livestock Left Exposed To The Winds Will Bekilled.

An Inland Hurricane Wind Warning Is Issued When Sustained Winds Near Hurricane Force...or Frequent Gusts At Or Above Hurricane Force...are Certain Within The Next 12 To 24 Hours.

Once Tropical Storm And Hurricane Force Winds Onset...do Not Venture Outside

MicBat

Gosh.. I'm getting a little nervous. My parents are just evacuating Slidell (just north of New Orleans) today. I haven't been able to get a hold of them because my cell phone isn't working due to the rest of the state trying to use their's. Good luck to all of you in the even more direct area, although I'm sure you've evacuated by now..

pinkrose

MicBat said:
Gosh.. I'm getting a little nervous. My parents are just evacuating Slidell (just north of New Orleans) today. I haven't been able to get a hold of them because my cell phone isn't working due to the rest of the state trying to use their's. Good luck to all of you in the even more direct area, although I'm sure you've evacuated by now..
I'm sure they'll get there in time. It will be tomarrow before the worst part hits. Hopefully you'll be able to get in touch with them soon. :) Stay safe!

pinkrose

For those of us in Alabama...

Notes on Katrina...Inland Impact
August 28, 2005, 11:59 am
Just a few notes to stress the future impact of Hurricane Katrina for inland sections of Alabama...

All residents of Alabama should take the inland impacts of this dangerous storm dead seriously. The hurricane will make landfall on the Mississippi Coast in the same area visited by Hurricane Camille in 1969... particularly the Waveland... Pass Christian... Bay St. Louis... Gulfport and Biloxi areas. The storm will bring hurricane force winds as far inland as 150 miles...which could be as far north as perhaps Starkville.

Here are the threats...

INCREASING WIND...
INLAND TROPICAL STORM WATCH MONDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH TUESDAY FOR NORTH AND CENTRAL ALABAMA...
As the center approaches the coast Monday morning, hurricane force winds will begin spreading northward. Counties along the Alabama/Mississippi border as far north as Marion could experience hurricane force winds. Eslewhere, west of I-65, winds will average 50-60 mph with gusts to near hurricane force. East of I-65, winds will be 30-40 moh with 50 mph gusts. This will obviously cause widespread tree and powerline damage again as we saw with Ivan. There will be extensive power outages, so prepare for that occurrence.

HEAVY RAINS...
Central Alabama counties west of I-65 will see as much as 7 inches of rain. The rest of Central Alabama will see 3-6 inches of rain. This much rain will create potential flooding problems. Flash Flood Watches will likely be required.

TORNADOES...
Alabama will be in the favored right front quadrant for tornadoes associated wih the storm circulation. They will be quick hitting tornadoes that spin up rapidly and will be hard to warn for. Tornado watches will be necessary on on Monday.

All Alabama residents must pay close attention to the very latest weather information conocerning extremely dangerous Hurricane Katrina and her impacts on inland areas also.

MKCP 1985

We are hunkering down and bunkering in. Very few in my neighborhood are leaving, even though we are being told we will be experiencing winds in excess of 130 mph tomorrow. Please keep us in your prayers (I don't mind asking that of you on today, Sunday!). I am on high ground and so am not overly concerned about flooding, but the expected high winds and threat of tornados will have us all gathering in a protected room with no windows, hoping the walls and roof of this newly constructed brick home don't collapse.

pinkrose

MKCP 1985 said:
We are hunkering down and bunkering in. Very few in my neighborhood are leaving, even though we are being told we will be experiencing winds in excess of 130 mph tomorrow. Please keep us in your prayers (I don't mind asking that of you on today, Sunday!). I am on high ground and so am not overly concerned about flooding, but the expected high winds and threat of tornados will have us all gathering in a protected room with no windows, hoping the walls and roof of this newly constructed brick home don't collapse.
Please leave! This is a very bad storm... 175mph winds... gust up to 215mph That's a F3/F4 tornado! Please don't take any chances.

Tara Mae

To those of you staying:

Good Gaia, please leave. There is no reason to stay. That brick home? Won't last. This is a catebory 5 storm, honey. 175 mph winds, with gusts as far as 205 mph. 25 feet of water is expected to flood New Orleans. Temporarily, New Orleans will cease to exist. Don't take the chance to stay, I beg of you. We don't want anyone to die. If the flooding and wind doesn't bother you, think of the critters that will show up. Snakes, Roaches, bugs, poisonous things.

WDWScottieBoy

I am keeping everyone in my thoughts and prayers. If you are in the path, please leave. This thing is just getting bigger and uglier. Only stay if you HAVE to, and if you do, PLEASE stay safe everyone!

MKCP 1985

Thanks for all the warnings - We have certainly taken them into consideration. I'll let you know how it all went down when this is all over. :)

Ringo8n24

MKCP 1985 said:

I am staying, too. Are you south or north of I-10,MKCP? I am south of it, but north of the tracks so Camille's surge did not go over the tracks at the College Park area. Our neighbors are in their 70's and they say this neighborhood did come out well in Camille. I heard from friend that got on I-10 at 10 am this morning at Gulfport to get to Mobile. Here it is 4 hours later and he is just now going through Biloxi. Very few of my neighbors are leaving, too. However, one neighbor is a hurricane hunter at Keesler and he left this morning leaving us the keys to his truck if we need it. He is heading to Gadsden, AL. I heard our local news saying alot of locals are heading to Orlando.

Woody13

Figment1986 said:
http://www.hurricanealley.net/Storms/12L.html

good site to use for tracking... just be careful of bandwith useage...

This is not good.. New Orleans is an old town.. not built to withstand a cat 5 hit... no matter where land fall is there will be massive flooding.. Stay safe eveyone in this path....
Thanks Figment for the Hurricane Alley site. They've got some good information. In addition you may want to check out http://www.hurricanecity.com/ . They have continuous live broadcasts of the storm conditions. Also, AM radio station WWL (870 kHz on your AM dial) is a 50,000 watt station out of New Orleans. After dark, it can be heard from most anywhere in the continental U.S. and parts of Mexico as well. Also you can watch WWL live television coverage of the hurricane on http://www.wwltv.com/ via your computer.

prberk

My thoughts and prayers are with ALL of you in the path of this storm. I myself will not be available to a computer for a couple of days, as I am taking a trip for another reason Northward to New Jersey until Monday night, leaving now.

I wanted to check in, though, and really tell you all that my prayers and thoughts are with you.

As others have said, please leave if you are in the path on the Gulf coast. Either way, though, Godspeed.

Paul

MKCP 1985

Ringo8n24 said:
I am staying, too. Are you south or north of I-10,MKCP? I am south of it, but north of the tracks so Camille's surge did not go over the tracks at the College Park area. Our neighbors are in their 70's and they say this neighborhood did come out well in Camille. I heard from friend that got on I-10 at 10 am this morning at Gulfport to get to Mobile. Here it is 4 hours later and he is just now going through Biloxi. Very few of my neighbors are leaving, too. However, one neighbor is a hurricane hunter at Keesler and he left this morning leaving us the keys to his truck if we need it. He is heading to Gadsden, AL. I heard our local news saying alot of locals are heading to Orlando.
heh, "wish I was at WDW today." I am also south of I-10, but by just less than a mile. I also hear on good authority the surge won't go across the railroad tracks. :) One reason we aren't leaving is because we fear we won't be able to get back when the storm is gone and we have two houses to look after - one for sale, under contract, and set to close in a couple of weeks. :eek: That is a strange story from your friend - I was on I-10 at 7:30 this morning from Pass Christian to Highway 49 and although the traffic was heavier than usual, it was moving at speed limit. When we evacuted for Ivan, it took us 7 1/2 hours to get to the north side of Hattiesburg! If I ever do evacuate again, I won't go on Highway 49!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom