Here come the mermaids

HMF

I can't at the delusion in this thread. Just because we all like WDW better, that doesn't mean we can't admit that DL has something better than we do. Their Pirates is better hands down than ours. It's twice as long and the story feels so much more complete. Just take a look if you never actually ridden it:

To me the DL Version is sacred, the WDW version, not so much and I say that as someone whose "Home Resort" is WDW. Thus I am against adding mermaids to the DL version and iffy on the WDW version.

jjharvpro

I'm not opposed to this at all, but I'm not crazy about it. Very intrigued at how this will turn out to be. We'll see in a few weeks.

peep

yeti said:
DLP>DL>WDW
But all of them are fantastic.

Totally agree with this.

I'm intrigued by this addition of the mermaids (if it does happen). I think the other animatronics added to it look fantastic and I'm curious to see what they'd do with the mermaids.

MerlinTheGoat

I've always said that DLP's Pirates is what WDW's SHOULD have been. If you're going to clone an attraction, at least make it as good as the original. And if you're going to clone a classic like Pirates at a park blessed with FAR more space, with it being a proven hit that you know your customers like and want already before you even build it, make it better than the original. In my book there's no excusing making an inferior version of a ride at a park that has immensely more space to deal with than Disneyland. Paris' version of the ride basically hits every note perfectly, the definitive version of the ride. It does everything right, taking all the best elements of every other version of the ride and having none of their shortcomings, AND it has some new improvements on its own.

Gotta say, I would not be against a sort of gutting of Pirates JUST to replace it with the superior version at Paris. I'll stand by the statement that POTC at Paris is a clear contender for my favorite theme park attraction on earth (at least in its state when I visited in the 90's). I've always loved WDW's Pirates and still do, but there's no denying ours is the worst version by far. Having been a huge WDW kid, it was quite a shocking eye opener to experience Paris', and what a great experience it was. Even watching those old Wonderful World of Color "making of" shows covering the grand opening of POTC in Disneyland I got to experience CA's version and saw how much better it was than WDW's (pretty awesome that they provided a full ride through in that video). So while i'm a still a big fan of WDW's POTC (and don't want it to close outright by any means), I've felt a very strong hint of disappointment at what we got ever since seeing CA's and Paris' and being spoiled by those.

I'm curious to see what Shanghai's version will be like. I'm expecting it to be even more like the films and use some new tech involving the way the ride system works. But i'm worried for reasons other than the films, I heard rumors there's going to be an emphasis on projected elements and less emphasis on actual physical sets or animatronic figures. As a huge fan of POTC and classic Epcot style rides, I don't really like the threat of projected scenes replacing real physical sets and animatronic figures. Hoping these rumors aren't true. Projections are fine when you want to enhance an existing scene (for example, big fan of digitally mapped stuff to add environmental elements to background elements), but not when you're replacing physical sets and figures out of laziness or due to budget.

Californian Elitist

You know what make's it even worse? The fact that our Pirates was built as a substitute for the legendary WRE. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard tourists wanted Pirates at WDW so badly, we got that instead.

I think that's correct. Not to rub it in but what's even worse is there's a rumor going around the Disneyland community that Disneyland's Frontierland is being considered for WRE. Again, just a rumor and I very much highly doubt it would happen.

MerlinTheGoat

Aye most Disney history sources indicate that when WDW first opened sans POTC, people complained that it wasn't present. Disney was prepping the Western River Expedition to be a WDW exclusive ride that would potentially surpass POTC in terms of scope. But when the park opened and complaints came in, it's said that Disney put WRE on indefinite hold and instead went to work on an incredibly rushed and gimped version of Pirates instead, which opened not long afterwards. The result is clear and probably has a lot to do with why Disney doesn't even try to give each park its own unique take on the Magic Kingdom experience.

I'd find it a shame if WRE actually did eventually make it to Disneyland but the people in charge of WDW didn't let it happen or built an inferior clone of it. WRE was supposed to be Magic Kingdom's true unique attraction that would secure its status as "not just a Disneyland clone". Epcot at least somewhat redeemed that mistake I feel. But it's such a horrifying shame what Epcot has become in the past decade and a half, amazing changes to that part (specifically Future World) cannot come soon enough.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Pirates was not a substitute for WRE. Pirates was added because guests expected Disneyland's newest and most popular newest addition to be at WDW as well. WRE was still in the pipeline. BTMR could be considered a substitute for WRE...but certainly NOT pirates.

MerlinTheGoat

Pirates was not a substitute for WRE. Pirates was added because guests expected Disneyland's newest and most popular newest addition to be at WDW as well. WRE was still in the pipeline. BTMR could be considered a substitute for WRE...but certainly NOT pirates.
If that's true then sorry for spreading any potential misinformation. That's the story i've seen so it's all I know. But can it honestly be said that POTC being quickly built due to demand had absolutely nothing to do with WRE's cancellation or rerouting into aspects of Big Thunder?

I still think we can all agree though that WDW's Pirates seems underwhelming compared to any other version.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
If that's true then sorry for spreading any potential misinformation. That's the story i've seen so it's all I know. But can it honestly be said that POTC being quickly built due to demand had absolutely nothing to do with WRE's cancellation or rerouting into aspects of Big Thunder?

I still think we can all agree though that WDW's Pirates seems underwhelming compared to any other version.
Oh, the money being used for Pirates definitely negatively impacted the future of WRE, but it was not a dead horse.

janoimagine

You know what make's it even worse? The fact that our Pirates was built as a substitute for the legendary WRE. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard tourists wanted Pirates at WDW so badly, we got that instead.

Thats correct. Most arrived when it opened looking for Pirates like DL ... their was such an outcry for it that Pirates was fastracked for Florida ... unfortunately ours was the abbreviated version.

iheartdisney91

wouldnt it be nice if the attraction went back to the way it was?...... Without Johnny Depp?

(they have his face character outside the ride, i feel thats enough devotion to the movies)

but the Mermaids are a great idea, as long as it's not over the top, and not too movie based.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What about the amazing treasure scenes? One of the biggest elements of pirate lore is kinda missing from ours. Overall, that is one amazing ride.

well when a bit part of the tale is 'dead men tell no tales' - which is about killing off the people who helped hide your treasure.. and we get beaches of pirates who have clearly been killed by other pirate cutlesses.. it eludes to the tales of pirates burying their treasure on obscure islands.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I've always said that DLP's Pirates is what WDW's SHOULD have been. If you're going to clone an attraction, at least make it as good as the original

But that was DLP in a nutshell.. DLP was built trying to IMPROVE upon everything they had already done. POTC was a rush-job at MK. I don't know why they left out the scenes in the town sequence.. but the caverns simply weren't needed. They are a function of necessity at DLR.. much like the portrait hallway in HM (and the elevators). The show elements are replicated en large at MK, but not the physical needs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom