Here come the mermaids

Castle Cake Apologist

The pirates are looking for Jack because he has the map to the treasure they want. That's the whole reason they pillaged the town in the first place, to find Jack and get the map so they can find their treasure.

I guess I've always found the "story" to be somewhat obvious. Unless I'm mistaken on everything?

lazyboy97o

Thus the problem with overly-convoluted back stories.
I am not really sure how this falls into the issue of backstories. I have yet to see any mention of a story that offers up an explanation for the known mutiny being a second mutiny or why the town is so willing to help Jack Sparrow. It is more of a poor attempt at recontextualizing what is the most widely known aspect of the films, the Sparrow-Barbossa conflict.

lazyboy97o

The pirates are looking for Jack because he has the map to the treasure they want. That's the whole reason they pillaged the town in the first place, to find Jack and get the map so they can find their treasure.

I guess I've always found the "story" to be somewhat obvious. Unless I'm mistaken on everything?
We get that part, but it has two big holes.
1) Why is Jack not working with his crew (this is before Barbossa's mutiny)?
2) Why is the town protecting Jack and allowing him to take their treasure?

FigmentJedi

Except the Wicked Wench was named so BEFORE Jack hired Barbossa and became a pirate. When it was sunk by the EITC after Jack refused to ship slaves for them, Jack made his deal with Jones to bring it back from the depths and renamed it the Black Pearl.

The issue with the ride though is that they weren't able to convert the Wench into the Pearl for some dumb reason, apparently some conflict with Bruckheimer.

lazyboy97o

Except the Wicked Wench was named so BEFORE Jack hired Barbossa and became a pirate. When it was sunk by the EITC after Jack refused to ship slaves for them, Jack made his deal with Jones to bring it back from the depths and renamed it the Black Pearl.

The issue with the ride though is that they weren't able to convert the Wench into the Pearl for some dumb reason, apparently some conflict with Bruckheimer.
Even if the issue of when this took place in regards to Jack and Barbossa were resolved, it still does not explain why the town so adamantly wants Jack Sparrow to be the one who steals from them.

Disney_Geek

Ugh. I actually watched the 4th Pirates movie last night after reading this thread yesterday to see what to expect. >.< I won't say I didn't like it. I loathed it. And those mermaid, mostly what I was watching for, were just downright ridiculous.

Let's hope they're not Spiderman-mermaids like in the lighthouse scene of the movie. Oh wait, Disney does own Marvel now, don't they.

pumpkin7

Ergh more movie tie ins?

It does get annoying when people can't tell what came first, ride or movie, but what can you do? People expect to see Jack / Barbossa etc in the ride now. Heck, I'm surpised they haven't stuck in the entire 'Crew of the Damned' from the first film!

Unfortuantely I feel that the movies have progressively become worse. The first one was amazing, and they really should have left it at that. The 4th film is most definately the weakest in my eyes, like they just made it for the heck of it.

Still, like most say, since the removal of the skull, that area has needed something in it, so perhaps this won't be as braizen as adding Sparrow or Barbossa or PCing the wenches/pirates was.

Hoping this will be a good thing.

The Empress Lilly

Ergh more movie tie ins?

It does get annoying when people can't tell what came first, ride or movie, but what can you do? People expect to see Jack / Barbossa etc in the ride now.
What WDW could've done, was to add a non-disruptive movie overlay and leave it add that. Everybody happy. :
Jack should have just been one of the pirates. No specific mentioning, just there.

PirateFrank

This^

quoted for truth!

HMF

There is a more direct reason.
http://disneylawsuit.com/

Magenta Panther

NO! They messed with the ride enough. You know the ride existed for over 30 years before there was a movie right?

Um, YEAH. And I love POTC, and I know about Walt's involvement in it, and you'll find no greater fan of Walt than me on these boards. But the battle scene is kinda weak. In fact, it's really the only weak part of the ride, and needs to be plussed. And as long as it's being plussed, why not add the Black Pearl and the Flying Dutchman to the scene? They are both great additions to the Pirates' lore, so why not make them part of the ride?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Um, YEAH. And I love POTC, and I know about Walt's involvement in it, and you'll find no greater fan of Walt than me on these boards. But the battle scene is kinda weak. In fact, it's really the only weak part of the ride, and needs to be plussed. And as long as it's being plussed, why not add the Black Pearl and the Flying Dutchman to the scene? They are both great additions to the Pirates' lore, so why not make them part of the ride?
I would love to see them but I think you would have to remove the majority of the fort to get a Dutchman replica in there. Then you would lose continuity with the village scenes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom