Have you noticed a lot of Illinois Disney fans?

k.hunter30

Good luck MKT!

And I was in the Brookfield area yesterday for a shower, and DANG were those cicadas LOUD. I had the radio up, windows rolled up, and the A/C on blast and could still hear them buzzin'. It was quite facinating to hear them, and even looking at the trees and seeing their little shells.

And then I was happy to go home to Champaign where I don't have to hear them. :)
My brother owned a bike store right near Brookfield. In Westchester actually. :wave:

I talked to my dad on the phone the other day (family is still in Chicago, I moved down to Tenn.) and I could hear the cicadas in the background! :rolleyes:

FanofDinsey1981

If you want to suck up (and who doesn't on a job interview) mention that you're stopping later for some deep dish pizza because you've heard Chicago has the best pizza in the universe and all other pizza is crap. Which is true.

Yes it is! We now have a Rosati's pizza here on campus in Urbana, one of the corperate guys came in last week to the Athetlic Office with some pizza (trying to woo some of the teams into using them for banquets). It was nummy.:slurp:

Now if we can get a Gino's East down here, I would be a very happy person.

FanofDinsey1981

My brother owned a bike store right near Brookfield. In Westchester actually. :wave:

I talked to my dad on the phone the other day (family is still in Chicago, I moved down to Tenn.) and I could hear the cicadas in the background! :rolleyes:

I will be in your area in about a month, we are taking a long weekend to travel down to Huntsville AL for a family wedding, and coming back up through and staying one night in Nashville. Any suggestions as to where to stay or what to do in Nashville?

k.hunter30

I will be in your area in about a month, we are taking a long weekend to travel down to Huntsville AL for a family wedding, and coming back up through and staying one night in Nashville. Any suggestions as to where to stay or what to do in Nashville?
if you want to experience some true southern cookin' definitely try Loveless Cafe - I've never eaten there, but it's iconic. Pancake Pantry is also a great place to go for breakfast. In the evening, just stroll down Broadway and 2nd Avenue downtown and stop in wherever... There's always live music streaming out of some bars down there. Tootsie's Orchid Lounge is pretty famous. Or you can always try the Grand Ole Opry.

It'll be a big change from what you're used to. It was for me when I moved down. But now I love it here. Just be sure to *smile* as you walk past Nashvillians or any Tennesseean for that matter. Don't be surprised if you get a lot of random "hi"s from strangers as well.

Have a great trip! :wave:

FanofDinsey1981

if you want to experience some true southern cookin' definitely try Loveless Cafe - I've never eaten there, but it's iconic. Pancake Pantry is also a great place to go for breakfast. In the evening, just stroll down Broadway and 2nd Avenue downtown and stop in wherever... There's always live music streaming out of some bars down there. Tootie's Orchid Lounge is pretty famous. Or you can always try the Grand Ole Opry.

It'll be a big change from what you're used to. It was for me when I moved down. But now I love it here. Just be sure to *smile* as you walk past Nashvillians or any Tennesseean for that matter. Don't be surprised if you get a lot of random "hi"s from strangers as well.

Have a great trip! :wave:

Oh, the Loveless Cafe looks like a place my in-laws would like. I think my brother in law and husband and I might check out some of the live music.

And I am ok with any place that has a random 'hello' for me!

Thanks!

FanofDinsey1981

Do you still have Garcia's?
What about Papa Del's?

It's been a loooooong time......

Garcia's is no longer on campus (it is now a Moonstruck Cafe). They closed the campus location 8 years ago. But there is still at least one in western champaign.

And yes, Papa Del's is still here. MMMM is it good too!

KBQueenWDW

Garcia's is no longer on campus (it is now a Moonstruck Cafe). They closed the campus location 8 years ago. But there is still at least one in western champaign.

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, there still is a Garcia's on campus. It's on Green, a little past first... I think. I've never eaten there, but I hear it's pretty good. I have eaten at Papa Del's several times and I just love it! So so yummy! :)

Yellow Shoes

Actually, if I'm not mistaken, there still is a Garcia's on campus. It's on Green, a little past first... I think. I've never eaten there, but I hear it's pretty good. I have eaten at Papa Del's several times and I just love it! So so yummy! :)

Yeah--there was one near 1st as I recall. I'm also thinking that it sold whole pizzas rather than just by the slice. Sorry to hear that the Wright St. place is gone.

I ate LOTS of Garcia's my freshman year. Met DH my sophomore year, and he was a Papa Del's man. Had to sneak to Garcia's after that....

GenerationX

Mmmmm, Papa Del's. Garcia's. My first dinner on campus as a freshman was at Garcia's. What about Pizza World? In the dorms, we used to order a large pizza with four free Cokes (just in time to watch Letterman at 11:30), and it was only about $2/person. The good old days.

Yellow Shoes

I actually liked Pizza World--and it was CHEAP!!

I had a friend who delivered for Willie's Thick and Cheesy, famous for delivering until 3 a.m.

The stories she told!!!

GenerationX

I had a friend who delivered for Willie's Thick and Cheesy, famous for delivering until 3 a.m.

The stories she told!!!
I actually liked Pizza World, too. I loved Garcia's. My DW (we met our junior years) was more like your DH - a big Papa Del's fan.

I can imagine the stories about the late night deliveries. How were the tips? I recall that we were all horrendous tippers. I spent two years in Scott Hall and two years in a house with buddies, and I doubt any tip surpassed 10%. I went back a few years later (stayed at the Union), ordered a Pizza World pizza, and tipped the guy 100% to relieve the years of guilt! :p

FanofDinsey1981

Yeah--there was one near 1st as I recall. I'm also thinking that it sold whole pizzas rather than just by the slice. Sorry to hear that the Wright St. place is gone.

I ate LOTS of Garcia's my freshman year. Met DH my sophomore year, and he was a Papa Del's man. Had to sneak to Garcia's after that....

Yup, good call. I kinda forgot about the one on Green near 1st. Duh, and I lived behind White Horse for a year too.

FanofDinsey1981

The stories she told!!!

Nope, no more Pizza World, though it may have changed it name. That has happened a few times, it is hard to keep up with the ever-changing names and owners of pizza places.

FanofDinsey1981

My dad and I ate at Garcia's when we would come down my senior year in high school for campus visits, and of course they closed soon after that. But I had other pizza places to fill the void. Monical's. Papa Del's. One World Pizza. Jupiter's pizza. Zelma's. Etc. Oh, and now there is a soon to be second location of Del's in SW Champaign.

When I was in LAR, we used to order the Dining Hall pizza. It was total cr@p, but it came with coke products and candy. And we always had dining credits left over. And when you were dying of hunger and nothing else delivered at 2 AM, it was the best pizza ever.

When I met my DH (my jr year, he graduated the year before), he was a major pizza guy, it is one of his few vices. So we had a good six months of eating a lot of different pizza places. We could get one Del's deep dish pizza and it would last nearly all week! We can kinda be pizza snobs too, we refuse to eat at Papa John's or Dominos or Pizza Hut. We want the good stuff.

Dang it people, now I want pizza, and it is only 9 in the morning....

k.hunter30

What was that commercial where the guy yelled IN WESTCHESTER!

DH and I can't drive through that town without shouting that :lol:
Hmm... I don't know that one...
Definitely not a bicycle store...:lookaroun :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom