Haunted Mantion Refurb

Hey guys, great news it's getting the TLC a ride of this stature deserves. Even better when we visit in October it'll be open for us.

One question I have is what happens to the cast members who usually work the mansion during the refurb, are they re-assigned elsewhere? Otherwise it's a long holiday for them as I'm pretty sure Disney doesn't have them refurbishing the attraction!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
One question I have is what happens to the cast members who usually work the mansion during the refurb, are they re-assigned elsewhere? Otherwise it's a long holiday for them as I'm pretty sure Disney doesn't have them refurbishing the attraction!

Yep they get reassigned. :)

Buried20KLeague

Ok, you guys keep saying it needs a rehab terribly, but what exactly is wrong with it to where it desperately needs a rehab?

In addition to the things already mentioned...

The scrims in the graveyard scene are really rough.

The timing of the audio in the graveyard scene overall is pretty bad. The sounds don't match the visuals tightly. For example, the singing busts. Their mouths aren't tight with the lyrics.

The pop-up heads. Some don't pop up, some aren't timed right with the audio scream, some are so loud you hear the air (or whatever it is that pops them up), some don't go back down all the way so they're completely hidden. Here's hoping they get rid of all of them in the attic at least and change them with the DL disappearing portraits!!!! I HATE those pop-up heads.

I'd imagine they'll be changing out some lighting too, along the way... Upgrading to more current technology. That's just a guess on my part... It would make sense... And it would make the show quality tons better... Along with different projection effects maybe being upgraded, etc?? Lee or Martin might be able to shoot that down or confirm, I don't know. I'm just guessing.

Then add to that the general feel that we need DL's new additions (the bride, better changing portraits, the ENTIRE attic, the floating Leota, plus maybe the talked about rework of the hitch-hiking ghosts, among others) a few months is gonna be PACKED full of things to get done.

Add to that all the ride system stuff I'm sure is on the list, and it's gonna be a tight schedule, I'm sure.

I'm also guessing the rumored "catacomb gift shop" isn't happening during this refurb. But again, just a guess.

Plus, the place is so DIRTY. I'm sure they'll get it all cleaned up, spotless. :lookaroun :lol:

Rob562

Okay, I officially feel like a noob again, even after 35+ trips to WDW. Just got back, and I agree audio needs major rehab, along with many other things in the HM. However I saw a few new things.

1)I was there with some other veteran WDW goers and we all noticed a lightening/thunder effect on the outside of the Mansion before we went in. It rocked! I had never seen that before, and neither had they.

2)There already seems to be some new ghosts in residence since they or I had been there last. All changes noted were in the ballroom scene. A ghost on a pier above the fireplace, fireplace glowing much brighter green, rocking chair ghost much more vivid & very very bright eyes, and circling ghosts all looked updated.

1 - The lightning flash has been there for a numebr of years, but the time between flashes is VERY long, so many people miss it. It's just been bad timing for you, I guess.

2 - If you're talking about the ghost sitting on the mantle above the fireplace, I think he's been there for a while. He may be one of those ghosts who fades in and out so you might not notice him every time. (Another ghost that often is missed by Guests is the one who has passedout under the table and you can only see his legs sticking out.)

-Rob

captcanada

1 - The lightning flash has been there for a numebr of years, but the time between flashes is VERY long, so many people miss it. It's just been bad timing for you, I guess.

2 - If you're talking about the ghost sitting on the mantle above the fireplace, I think he's been there for a while. He may be one of those ghosts who fades in and out so you might not notice him every time. (Another ghost that often is missed by Guests is the one who has passedout under the table and you can only see his legs sticking out.)

-Rob
That's part of the beauty of the Haunted Mansion.
You can ride it 100 times, and still notice new little details that make you smile.
Could be why I just go right to the back of the entrance line when I get off the ride.
(And...I admit, I'll do this 5 or 6 times, before wandering somewhere else. And...eventually....come back to The Haunted Mansion, and repeat the process. ;-)

RSoxNo1

Is it correct to assume that Jungle Cruise will go down for rehab almost immediately after Haunted Mansion comes back up meaning that JC will be closed during Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years?

Lee

Adventurer
Is it correct to assume that Jungle Cruise will go down for rehab almost immediately after Haunted Mansion comes back up meaning that JC will be closed during Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years?

Maybe.
The "immediately" part is what's tricky.
Of course....Jungle might get bumped.
Don't bet money on refurb schedules.....they be a mite fluid.

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
Among the other things people have said.

-Creakiness of the stretching room. Very annoying.
-Lighting all over: first room with the stairwell going up (10 to 1 you've never even noticed the first wrap around stairwell) and the infinite hallway.
-Pop ups are fun but poorly done. You can see that they are just heads on sticks. Sometimes the air blows up the fabric around the base of the bust and you can see the workings below. Bad show.
-Bride looks horrible.
-I just saw a blueprint of the graveyard dog and he's supposed to move? Never seen it.
-Tighten the scrims (or remove them altogether) in the graveyard. Most are wrinkled and don't add anything to the scenes.
-There's a difference between dust and dirt. Overall, it's dirty. Not intentionally dirty either.

mitchk

I heard Spaceship Earth mentioned earlier (about 3 pages ago) is that getting a rehab? I know they are working on the post show as we speak, but is the ride itself going down? If so I hope it's not before June (granted it
badly needs new decent scenes, and a lot of the older effects aren't working, so some TLC will be nice) Anyone :veryconfu Oh, hey jvrabel, I never saw the dog not move. He tilts his head up into a howling position, every time I rode it he was working (at least 30 times) I know this because he is one of the charters I look for every time. I think he's one of the best parts of the start of the graveyard finale

Launchpad

Account Suspended
-Creakiness of the stretching room. Very annoying.
A couple times I was in there thinking "Wow, this is really loud and horrible.", but now I think it sounds creepy. I think it actually adds a lot to the effect. Its like you can hear the boards inside of the wall growing and creeking. It adds a lot of realism if you ask me. If you where watching a room grow in a movie it wouldn't quietly stretch, it would creek and make noises.

Ragetti

Just focus on the attractions that weren't there 13 years ago !!

I'm sure your daughter will more excited about going than to dwell on this attraction being closed too much. :wave:

Yup...it really won;t crimp our style too badly... but it will make me sad to see it all closed up. I AM looking forward to seeing it al spiffed up though :)

JikoMarie

I'm also wondering about SSE. Does anyone know possible refurb dates? I hope it's not during August as well.

We are going on our honeymoon in August and I'm really bummed that HM will be closed. I haven't been there in 14 years and it's my fiance's first time. Who knows when we'll back? It's one of my favourites but I'm sure I'll live.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I heard Spaceship Earth mentioned earlier (about 3 pages ago) is that getting a rehab? I know they are working on the post show as we speak, but is the ride itself going down? If so I hope it's not before June
Yes and possibly.

culturenthrills

I am glad that the ride is finally getting a major rehab. I know some people are upset that it will be down during their vacation but rehabs are just a fact of life at a year round theme park. MK is not getting any younger and the amount of rehabs are going to continue to go up every year if they want to keep that park up to snuff. Look how many rehabs they have to do at DL every year. I hope that this is truly the beginning of a bunch of major rehabs at the park that has been rumored for awhile.

hokielutz

When was the last time that the HM was closed for a lenghty period of time?

I just wanted to echo what someone had asked earlier... when was the last time that the Haunted Mansion was down for a lengthy period of time??

I haven't seen this question answered yet in the 6 pages of responses.
If I missed the answer previously, my bad.

Cole'sMom

In the years I have been going to WDW, 8 in a row, I don't ever recall it being down. It's always the first attraction we visit at the MK, so I remember!

Laura

Premium Member
Ok, what exactly on the Haunted Mansion is not in good condition? Why is this rehab so desperate? I know the audio is bad and I'm assuming they'll fix that...but what else needs work? Just curious!

(Hard for me to imagine them cleaning up an attraction that's supposed to appear old and dirty is all LOL)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom