Haunted Mansion

Smugpugmug

I was actually planning on seeing this after I saw the trailer and didn't think it was that bad (better than the Eddie Murphy version at least but that means literally nothing).

Guess I'll be seeing Barbie again instead.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This isn't a crap movie though. It's not a home run but also not a strikeout. It's just a single. Of course, there's a sentiment that Disney is paying like it expects at least a double every time.
Sorry…not haunted mansion…

More their entire 2023 slate of movies. There’s been a lot of excuses as to why they’re struggling except the actual reason: the audience is rejecting it on a number of levels

Tha Realest

Another person I forgot to put on ignore. Thanks for the reminder.
Let’s stop slagging @BuddyThomas. I don’t always agree with him and think he tends to respond and provoke in an overly emotional way at times, but we should acknowledge, encourage, and appreciate intellectual honesty when it’s displayed and demonstrated here.

He had every incentive and reason to soft-walk his tepid response to this film, or could very well have kept it to himself. He didn’t. I very much appreciate that.

DisneyHead123

That is fair. I think a lot of it is what Rolly Crump complained about near the end of his life. He said the company has lost the human touch. The style that was in the Tiki Room and HM he worked on was very much that. Almost grotesque if not curious, and the HM has that with victorian surrealism. It is just that steampunk has become to mean specifically steam powered thing.

Personally I think the itneractive queue made it worse.

Those busts and their features look right out of 1313 Dead End Drive Board game and do not match the world at all.
Good points. I rescind my steampunk comment then, I was thinking mostly in terms of art that I've seen under the category of steampunk, which is more of the "fantastical Victorian dreamscape" variety.

Tha Realest

Most steampunk is designed to look like it's from the Victorian era so it's easy to make that correlation.
Yeah. I think the line between what we think of as Gothic and Victorian is blurred. Steampunk is definitely a subset of the era, but I think it’s more the use of fantastical devices or more modern technology with the accoutrements of the era (hence, “steam”)

LittleBuford

Let’s stop slagging @BuddyThomas. I don’t always agree with him and think he tends to respond and provoke in an overly emotional way at times, but we should acknowledge, encourage, and appreciate intellectual honesty when it’s displayed and demonstrated here.

He had every incentive and reason to soft-walk his tepid response to this film, or could very well have kept it to himself. He didn’t. I very much appreciate that.
What’s intellectually dishonest is the implication that @BuddyThomas’s candour is anything new. Throughout the movie threads, those of us who are characterised as Disney apologists have posted frank reviews based on firsthand experience, offering criticism as well as praise. Meanwhile, a host of individuals who’ve never even seen the films in question have inundated the threads with kneejerk negativity about them. They are the ones from whom some honesty should be welcomed.

Tha Realest

What’s intellectually dishonest is the implication that @BuddyThomas’s candour is anything new. Throughout the movie threads, those of us who are characterised as Disney apologists have posted frank reviews based on firsthand experience, offering criticism as well as praise. Meanwhile, a host of individuals who’ve never even seen the films in question have inundated the threads with kneejerk negativity about them. They are the ones from whom some honesty should be welcomed.
I never suggested this was “new.” I think he’s been honest.

I also don’t think one needs to experience every aspect of something, or consume every aspect of it, to form a general opinion. I’ve never watched an episode of a Kardashian show, but have seen numerous clips and reviews. I don’t need to binge through multiple seasons or episodes to form an opinion on that show, or those types of shows in general.

Vegas Disney Fan

I was hoping to watch this on the Disney Dream in a couple weeks, now I’m wondering if that’s a waste of valuable cruise time, maybe Elemental will be playing also.

Supreme Leader

Overall, I enjoyed the movie, but it definitely seemed like it was made for Disney+ and not for a theatrical release.

The pacing is all over the place, at times the movie feels incredibly low budget and then other times it feels big budget.
I do like the story they created around the Mansion and why they couldn't just leave the house all together as well as The Hatbox Ghost being the main villain of the story and really, the movies themes of grief and loss are all things I thought were tackled really well.
The first act is slow and choppy but by the time the second act rolls along it moves.

I still think the movie will flop hard, but it'll find a home on Disney+ during the Halloween season.

Disstevefan1

Overall, I enjoyed the movie, but it definitely seemed like it was made for Disney+ and not for a theatrical release.

The pacing is all over the place, at times the movie feels incredibly low budget and then other times it feels big budget.
I do like the story they created around the Mansion and why they couldn't just leave the house all together as well as The Hatbox Ghost being the main villain of the story and really, the movies themes of grief and loss are all things I thought were tackled really well.
The first act is slow and choppy but by the time the second act rolls along it moves.

I still think the movie will flop hard, but it'll find a home on Disney+ during the Halloween season.
To me, it's all about the story. I hope it does well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom