Haunted Mansion

mickEblu

I just saw it.

As much as I would love to give it a rave review to spit in the face of the Disney Haters Club on here who lie and claim to be Disney fans, the film is just not good.

It has an endless parade of Easter Eggs for fans of the ride, which is very cool, but that is about all it has to offer.

The actors are good but they have very little to work with.

Bottom line - it's a hot mess but with some fun easter eggs.

Haters, start your gloating and blabbing now.

Phew! The ride is safe people! No Jamie Lee Curtis Leotas or Owen Wilson AA's to worry about.

EDIT: Owen Wilson projections** They re not spending money on any AA's

Last edited:

mickEblu

I guess Im pretty good at judging a book by its cover. The only two Disney movies Ive bothered watching this year were Elemental and GOTG 3. That includes Disney + releases as well.

celluloid

The vibe. Not a literal thing. Like saying the vibe of someone’s wedding is like “a beautiful sunny day”, even though perhaps the reception took place in the evening indoors.

IMO, of course.

I have never seen any of the HM as steampunk. Ever. I can't think of anything in the attraction that showcases that. Cool that you find that though. I just wonder where.

That being said it is definitely not one time period or location. It is a boundless realm with ghosts retiring from all lifestyles and eras are.

I think the only vibe I could say it has, is Crumpian or Marc Davian. Ha. With some Anderson of course thrown in with touches from others.

TP2000

As much as I would love to give it a rave review to spit in the face of the Disney Haters Club on here who lie and claim to be Disney fans, the film is just not good.

Welcome to the Disney Haters Club.

You can pick up your membership card and official logo windbreaker at the desk next to the snack bar.

To achieve Gold Level status, you'll need to start cutting and pasting unflattering yet true box office data at least twice per week.

DisneyHead123

I have never seen any of the HM as steampunk. Ever. I can't think of anything in the attraction that showcases that. Cool that you find that though. I just wonder where.
Not in the literal narrative of the ride itself, but in the vibe / fashion / emotional undertones. Otherworldly Victorian era dreamscape, maybe?

I get that “vibe” is by definition 100% subjective. So if other’s mileage varies, I’m not going to argue that my opinion is the correct one. In my totally subjective opinion, though, I think Disney has been off in this department recently. Whereas they managed to encapsulate the spirit of a ride beautifully in at least the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

celluloid

Not in the literal narrative of the ride itself, but in the vibe / fashion / emotional undertones. Otherworldly Victorian era dreamscape, maybe?

I get that “vibe” is by definition 100% subjective. So if other’s mileage varies, I’m not going to argue that my opinion is the correct one. In my totally subjective opinion, though, I think Disney has been off in this department recently. Whereas they managed to encapsulate the spirit of a ride beautifully in at least the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

That is fair. I think a lot of it is what Rolly Crump complained about near the end of his life. He said the company has lost the human touch. The style that was in the Tiki Room and HM he worked on was very much that. Almost grotesque if not curious, and the HM has that with victorian surrealism. It is just that steampunk has become to mean specifically steam powered thing.

Personally I think the itneractive queue made it worse.

Those busts and their features look right out of 1313 Dead End Drive Board game and do not match the world at all.

LittleBuford

I just saw it.

It has an endless parade of Easter Eggs for fans of the ride, which is very cool, but that is about all it has to offer.

I’m sorry to hear this. I still plan to see it and hope I feel differently than you.

DKampy

I just saw it.

That is too bad… I am still debating on seeing it or waiting for Disney plus… as I read some reviews that said it was not worth going to the theater, but it would still be a fun watch on Halloween via streaming… we usually see one movie at the theater a week last week it was Barbie so this weekend we still have to catch up on Oppenheimer

BuddyThomas

You can pick up your membership card and official logo windbreaker at the desk next to the snack bar.

To achieve Gold Level status, you'll need to start cutting and pasting unflattering yet true box office data at least twice per week.
Nope. Not a club I will be joining.

BuddyThomas

No gloating or blabbing... just a sad observation that your first and foremost thought is about some imaginary 'Disney Haters Club' (with caps I might add). What a sad way to frame a review. Might want to consider taking some time away from social media dude.

Were the Disney Haters Club members in the theatre with you? Are they in the room with you now?
🙄

ᗩLᘿᑕ ✨ ᗩζᗩᗰ

HOUSE OF MAGIC
Premium Member
Lol…as if we want the movies to fail?

But crap that fails is still crap
No other studio would be afforded the ridiculous level of benefit of the doubt that is rampant for Disney.

It’s not THEIR fault they suck at making movies these days…it’s apparently ours 🤷🏻‍♂️
Rinse and Repeat. They fail to learn. I for one won't be watching the upcoming Snow White retread. Definitely my fault it's doomed to fail.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
So a horror genre Haunted Mansion film likely wouldn't have been seen as family friendly as Disney would like it to be, thus less appeal to the Disney audience.
This one is not what I'd consider family friendly though. It's not at all grotesque but having watched it I'm leaning against my 8 year old seeing it for a while, and not my 5 year old that dressed as Hatbox Ghost last Halloween. Disney's leaving money on the table but is doing so for a film that, in my opinion, is closer to the original mixed intent of the ride. The movie could have been made more family friendly to appeal to a broader audience but that would have strayed too far one way.

Edit to add: The Eddie Murphy version is an example of being too goofy and going too far to make it family friendly at expense of losing any sense of horror. This version corrects that but ends up with a smaller target audience (and thatll likely be reflected at the box office).
What you're describing sounds like a lukewarm horror movie combined with "a moral to the story" - it just seems like a different emotional space altogether.
Lukewarm horror sounds about right. My thought on a moral of the story was just to say that one does exist to drive thrift the film, but it's not central to the film and doesn't punch the audience in the face about it like Elemental does (which I also enjoyed for different reasons)
Lol…as if we want the movies to fail?

But crap that fails is still crap
No other studio would be afforded the ridiculous level of benefit of the doubt that is rampant for Disney.

It’s not THEIR fault they suck at making movies these days…it’s apparently ours 🤷🏻‍♂️
This isn't a crap movie though. It's not a home run but also not a strikeout. It's just a single. Of course, there's a sentiment that Disney is paying like it expects at least a double every time.

Last edited:

Phroobar

Wait. Did BuddyThomas get redeemed and finally rejoin the light side?
Wow! This movie must be pretty bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom