Haunted Mansion

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Saw it last night, overall it was an enjoyable experience. It has its flaws, all movies do, but I rather enjoyed it and the references to both Mansions in the domestic parks.

Only major change I would have made was to either tell JLC to tone down the dour acting choice she made, or would have used Jennifer Tilly from the 2003 version as I thought she was better.

wtyy21

Initially Haunted Mansion was supposed to be the first film to use the movie-specfic variant of Disney100 logo like the trailer.
Walt_Disney_Pictures_(Haunted_Mansion_Trailer).png

Sadly, when the film premiered, they just use the standard variant of Disney100 logo with the regular-sounding fanfare (wouldn't fit for the horror film like Haunted Mansion).

Last edited:

CraftyFox

So it seems the Eric Wintering Studio build the ghost costumes for the film. They've provided some behind the scenes looks at the bride(s) costumes. It seems there are two different brides in the film as there are two different costumes and actresses(?). We know the second one is canonically Connie- or at least some variation of her. Here's some photos plus a little personal commentary!

Bride 1(?):
ConstanceCostumeDesign1.jpg

ConstanceCostumeDesign2.jpg

Constance:
ConstanceCostumeDesign4.jpg

ConstanceCostumeDesign3.jpg

OKAY SO PERSONAL COMMENTS: The costumes look better behind the scenes than in the movie IMHO. The silhouettes look pretty accurate to the 19th century. The first dress is in the Regency style of around 1800 - 1820, specifically pulling from around 1805 to 1815 with the high empire silhouette, train, and dotted fabric.

The second dress here belongs to Connie. In the lore of the ride her story is predominantly set in the 1870's, the early bustle era. However, the dress she actually wears in the ride is Edwardian (1900's) and the costuming and hairstyling in the film for her is late 1850's to early 1860's. She's wearing a corset and a crinoline and has a wide bertha neckline. The horizontal banding on the skirt rendered in a different fabric was a very popular trend in the 1850's.

My little problem with these costumes is honestly the fabric choice. The lace on both gowns is infamous in the costuming community for being kind of cheap and modern. The fabrics used on the skirts and petticoats is also off on both dresses. I know the intention was for the fabrics to look "ghostly" but they feel too clunky for real 19th century fabrics. The first gown should be a lighter, airier muslin and the mid-19th century gown should be heavier upholstery style fabrics. The modern fabrics make it look a little like cosplay rather than historical dress if that makes sense. Those are just my nitpicks though!

Ghost93

I just saw it. A vast improvement over the 2004 film. While not as good of a theme park movie like the first Pirates of the Caribbean, I would say it's about on par with the Jungle Cruise movie from two years ago. I think kids will like the movie a lot, it has the right amount of spookiness without being "too scary." It's very faithful to the spirit of the ride.

It was DEFINITELY a mistake to release this in July. The best thing about the movie is the Halloween-like atmosphere. Should have totally been an October release.

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

I’ve watched and read quite a few reviews now, while avoiding spoilers, and good but not great seems to be the consensus.

I haven’t seen anyone raving about it but I also haven’t seen anyone saying it’s terrible. This gives me hope I’ll enjoy it when I see it in a few weeks.

Ghost93

I’ve watched and read quite a few reviews now, while avoiding spoilers, and good but not great seems to be the consensus.

I haven’t seen anyone raving about it but I also haven’t seen anyone saying it’s terrible. This gives me hope I’ll enjoy it when I see it in a few weeks.
It's not a perfect film but it's a "perfect for Halloween" film which makes it's July release date all the more baffling.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It's not a perfect film but it's a "perfect for Halloween" film which makes it's July release date all the more baffling.
Hocus Pocus was released July 16th, and it went on to become a Disney Halloween classic.

This idea that a "Halloween" movie should only come out in September/October is silly, I mean I get it, but its silly. If that was the case we'd never have any horror or "fright" genre films releasing the other 10/11 months of the year.

Phroobar

Just go out from seeing it. I was pleasantly surprised on how well done the movie is. It's not really a comedy or horror but has elements of it. It has some good dark humor. No real jump scares but a good movie about grief and loss. I felt the story was well done. There are lots of shout outs to the ride and even the east coast Mansion makes an cameo. It is far superior to the Eddie version. It is the kind of family movie Disney used to make. I'd say a good solid B+. Nice job Disney.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Just go out from seeing it. I was pleasantly surprised on how well done the movie is. It's not really a comedy or horror but has elements of it. It has some good dark humor. No real jump scares but a good movie about grief and loss. I felt the story was well done. There are lots of shout outs to the ride and even the east coast Mansion makes an cameo. It is far superior to the Eddie version. It is the kind of family movie Disney used to make. I'd say a good solid B+. Nice job Disney.
That is where Cinemascore has it also, B+.

Its about where most horror and horror/comedy films end up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom