Haunted Mansion

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It was last year but I think Doctor Strange Multiverse of Madness is enough to be considered horror. Anchored by a comic book character.

Haunted Mansion could have had the same level of horror(Rami would have actually have been an interesting choice) and had the Disney branded theme park attraction to anchor it the same way.

Multiverse of Madness also made over 400 million domestically.

Rami is notorious for lower budget creativity and could have easily made a HM movie bring in 200 million on an under 100 million or so budget.
We don't know really know how audiences would have accept it. That is all I'm saying. Maybe it would have made Billions, or maybe it would have made $50M. We'll never know.

I would have loved to have seen a real horror version of HM. But it could have been a real turn off for major audiences who prefer the campy muted scary version the attraction. Its too hard to judge how audiences will react to something that doesn't exist.

celluloid

We don't know really know how audiences would have accept it. That is all I'm saying. Maybe it would have made Billions, or maybe it would have made $50M. We'll never know.

I would have loved to have seen a real horror version of HM. But it could have been a real turn off for major audiences who prefer the campy muted scary version the attraction. Its too hard to judge how audiences will react to something that doesn't exist.

There is a difference between wanting darker elements and suspense vs anything unsuitable or grotesque.

I don't think many here are expecting that a film like The Exorcist set in The Haunted Mansion would be on brand or wanted.

But Ghostbusters 2016 is not it either.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
There is a difference between wanting darker elements and suspense and real horror.

I don't think many here are expecting that a film like The Exorcist set in The Haunted Mansion would be on brand or wanted.

But Ghostbusters 2016 is not it either.
Just like in the other thread, you're arguing something that is impossible to prove.

There is no way to prove how the Del Toro version of HM would have done, doesn't matter our person opinions on the subject. The audience may have all cheered and thrown money at the screen or maybe they never would have showed up.

All I've been saying here is maybe it would have done well, maybe it wouldn't have. Disney obviously didn't think it was worth it to find out. If you personally think that was the wrong decision, cool, I partially agree with you. But in the end none of us really know how it would have turned out.

celluloid

Just like in the other thread, you're arguing something that is impossible to prove.

There is no way to prove how the Del Toro version of HM would have done, doesn't matter our person opinions on the subject. The audience may have all cheered and thrown money at the screen or maybe they never would have showed up.

All I've been saying here is maybe it would have done well, maybe it wouldn't have. Disney obviously didn't think it was worth it to find out. If you personally think that was the wrong decision, cool, I partially agree with you. But in the end none of us really know how it would have turned out.

Everything unproduced is impossible to prove. You are not saying anyhing new.

But anyone with a business brain in the business knows it would be fair to say only a moron would allow a 157 million budget's film to use the screenplay from the person who wrote one of the most panned and forgotten supernatural comedies of all time.
More money than sense.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Everything unproduced is impossible to prove. You are not saying anyhing new.

But anyone with a business brain in the business knows it would be fair to say only a moron would allow a 157 million budget's film screenplay to be from the person who wrote one of the most panned and forgotten supernatural comedies of all time.
More money than sense.

I'll judge the writing once I see it.

I had no issues with Ghostbusters 2016, it was ok. I consider it in its own "universe"....

BuddyThomas

I just saw it.

As much as I would love to give it a rave review to spit in the face of the Disney Haters Club on here who lie and claim to be Disney fans, the film is just not good.

It has an endless parade of Easter Eggs for fans of the ride, which is very cool, but that is about all it has to offer.

The actors are good but they have very little to work with.

Bottom line - it's a hot mess but with some fun easter eggs.

Haters, start your gloating and blabbing now.

Tha Realest

Unfortunately Disney's live-action TV/Streaming series based on original content is usually of a poor quality.

The blame here is on Disney's TV studios still churning out C-tier children's/tween content as they did for Disney cable channels, and Walt Disney Studios whose original movies usually suck (looking at you, Nutcracker and the Four Realms, and Artemis Fowl).*

This is why eventually merging Hulu in with D+ in the US will be helpful, since Hulu/FX/ABC do much better with original series.

* #NotApixieDuster
FX has produced Fargo, The Shield, The Americans, Justified, The Bear, Legion. The only network that’s put out more consistently amazing quality Tv over that time is HBO. They should absolutely give them free rein to do their thing.

I completely agree that many D+ series feel like something you’d have seen on Disney Channel or Sunday night TV movies.

MoonRakerSCM

I just saw it.

As much as I would love to give it a rave review to spit in the face of the Disney Haters Club on here who lie and claim to be Disney fans, the film is just not good.

It has an endless parade of Easter Eggs for fans of the ride, which is very cool, but that is about all it has to offer.

The actors are good but they have very little to work with.

Bottom line - it's a hot mess but with some fun easter eggs.

Haters, start your gloating and blabbing now.
No gloating or blabbing... just a sad observation that your first and foremost thought is about some imaginary 'Disney Haters Club' (with caps I might add). What a sad way to frame a review. Might want to consider taking some time away from social media dude.

Were the Disney Haters Club members in the theatre with you? Are they in the room with you now?

Tha Realest

Why hire Del Toro when Justin Simien is available?

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Watched tonight and it's about what I hoped for. I've since breezed trough some reviews including one criticizing for being neither super funny nor super scary ... and while true I think that's entirely the way it *should* be. This isn't supposed to be a movie that people write dissertations analyzing writing and directorial decisions and debating where it fits as a classic film. If there's a message to the movie it's basically
"losing a loved one sucks, and it’s okay and natural to grieve but try to not shut yourself off from the world because there are people that want to help pick you up if given a chance."
I don't really think that's a spoiler but playing it safe.

Few cast surprises as most (Wilson, DeVito, and Haddish) play characters exactly how you'd expect. Considering that LaKeith Stanfield and Chase Dillon aren't really known to have a typecast they each had more latitude and I think both did great jobs, particularly Dillon. i loved that kid! Rosario Dawson was kinda lost in the fold and flat, and Jamie Lee Curtis was...I'll just say disappointing.

Haunted Mansion fans will enjoy all the easier eggs including nods to Ken Anderson (*Father* Kent), Rolly Crump, Walt Disney (trains!), and, I think but may be stretching Marc Davis (Danny DeVito's Bruce Davis, maybe). While the general public will catch some things (like a popular park song), most references and attraction nods will go unnoticed and what's left will have people asking more questions (e.g. "why quick sand and a crocodile?" and "what's up with a water ghost?"), so I don't think it's going to do very well with the non-parks public and, alas, I don't think it'll perform well in theaters. But you Haunted Mansion fans here? Absolutely go see it and enjoy.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Perhaps. But with the exception of Pacific Rim, most of Del Toro’s films have been pretty modestly budgeted. The Shape of Water, which is gorgeous to look at (as are all his films) was purportedly produced on a budget of $20M
And maybe that is the thing, he wanted something more grander like Pacific Rim. It was the film he did right after the announcement after all.

I'm sure some tell-all book will come out in the future to tell us all about it.

lazyboy97o

And maybe that is the thing, he wanted something more grander like Pacific Rim. It was the film he did right after the announcement after all.

I'm sure some tell-all book will come out in the future to tell us all about it.
Pacific Rim was being developed at the same time. Frankly, I think Del Toro was just stretching himself way too thin and over committing to too many different projects. He was attached to a number of projects at the time that never happened. Remember, he was working with Disney because they had even started a whole horror sub brand that never went anywhere, Disney Double Dare You.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Pacific Rim was being developed at the same time. Frankly, I think Del Toro was just stretching himself way too thin and over committing to too many different projects. He was attached to a number of projects at the time that never happened. Remember, he was working with Disney because they had even started a whole horror sub brand that never went anywhere, Disney Double Dare You.
I'm sure there are a whole host of reasons why it never came to be. Like in the Collider article I posted, not being able to commit to directing which appears to have been something Disney wanted in order move forward.

Ah what could have been.....

DisneyHead123

Watched tonight and it's about what I hoped for. I've since breezed trough some reviews including one criticizing for being neither super funny nor super scary ... and while true I think that's entirely the way it *should* be. This isn't supposed to be a movie that people write dissertations analyzing writing and directorial decisions and debating where it fits as a classic film. If there's a message to the movie it's basically
"losing a loved one sucks, and it’s okay and natural to grieve but try to not shut yourself off from the world because there are people that want to help pick you up if given a chance."
I don't really think that's a spoiler but playing it safe.
Apologies for a somewhat contrarian response, but (based on your review) this is exactly where I think Disney is kinda off with their "vibe checks" recently. If you asked me for my positive associations with the Haunted Mansion ride, I'd say something like:

- Gothic Steam Punk
- Tim Burton-esque-ness
- A vague memory of the days when I was young enough to shop at Hot Topic on occasion
- The general American love of All Things Halloween (fun and kinda cute Halloween, not horror movie-esque Halloween)

What you're describing sounds like a lukewarm horror movie combined with "a moral to the story" - it just seems like a different emotional space altogether.

I feel the same way about Peter Pan and Wendy. The original Peter Pan appealed because it was all wonder and sparkle and the magic of childhood - the joy of what happens when "lantern consciousness" rules our psyche and the whole world appears lit up in possibility and excitement. The remake looks like - I dunno, a wannabe Twilight, stylistically?

Again, apologies for my downer response - I'm glad you enjoyed the movie. And I consider myself a bit of pixie duster, overall - I think Disney gets far more right than they do wrong. I just don't understand why they didn't make this more Tim Burton-esque, when that seems like a no-brainer for Haunted Mansion. They even seem to understand that vibe in the merch department, so why not the movie production department?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom