Haunted Mansion Refurbishment News!

MainSt1993

To add to the mix on why there is not a HMH overlay at the world, they'd have to also spend the money to write a new show. Not entirely new, but the two attractions are not clones of one another. So it wouldn't be a turn-key operation.

KevinPage

WOW, Corrus posted in the thread and didn't completely squash this rumor. Talk about a "pinch me I'm dreaming" moment.

:drevil: :drevil: :drevil:

Lewis Carroll

Account Suspended
So are Haunted Mansion, Jungle Cruise, and Space Mountain the only rides to get refurbed/revamped?

Will the changes be more substantial than disneyland's?

Main Street USA

Look, I'm not going to continue to fight about this; I simply wished to point out that in telling the other poster that he's wrong in trying to speak for everyone, you're equally wrong in doing so, too. There was no "word play" on my part, simply a reading of your post and pointing out the obvious use of the word "people" instead of "I" or "me." You're making a broad generalization in saying people don't want it to be changed. You (and some other posters in this thread) don't want it to be changed, and that's fine. You're welcome to YOUR opinion, but again, you said "people." If you can't accept the fact that you did exactly what the other person did, that's fine as well. I make broad generalizations myself from time to time and don't want to admit I've done it. We can all a bit stubborn (broad generalization, but I think this one does apply). Heck, I'm being stubborn myself just by continuing to debate the obvious with you. Have a nice evening.
Oh, and getting back to the original post - I'm happy to hear there may be a refurb in Haunted Mansion's future. I didn't notice anything wrong when I was last there in May, but a refurb is always welcome.
It has nothing to do with stubbornness, the two are different things. It's easy to see, but for some reason you can't, so. Have a good one, and try to forget you ever brought it up. I know I will.

terp79

My oh my. . .

So many opinions.....so i'm gonna add my own:

1. HM needs referb 100%
2. New Additions need added (I will bring up that thousands of die hard mansion fans from the west coast complained when they heard of a new bride coming and now it's funny cuz everyone seems to LOVE it)
3. HMH needs to happen. I don't care if you like NBC or not we need to have the same festive feel as our sister parks and I think overlays are great especially if they have such great theme and tight integration. Most people who go to Disney durring the Holiday seasons go for the Holiday themed plussing of the average Disney environment.

If you think my points are off key then I personally feel you're not giving the Mansion itself the proper respect it diserves!

If Imagineers do bring the HMH to FL and new additions and referbs happen becuz of this I never want to hear any complaining from anyone again!

Main Street USA

Clearly you do not visit Disneyland that often. I've seen that park swarmed with goth kids, and more often than not they are there to go ride Haunted Mansion Holiday.

FL Disney management is blowing it by not going after demographics that are supposedly "outside the target audience." Hell, their own Halloween party is barely half as popular as Halloween Horror Nights, and Universal's event flat out sucks this year.
He was talking about WDW, not DL. Clearly, those types DO "swarm" DL. Which is exactly why it belongs in DL and not WDW.

JustPlainBill

This news, if true, is terrible for me and my family.
My last trip to WDW was way back in 1990 with my wife when we were a young couple. We didn't intend to stay away for so long, I had all intentions of making it back in a couple of years. Life happened to us, sicknesses, deaths, job changes, lay-offs, children you name it, it probably has happened to us, the most we could do for vacations was plan local over-nighters or 2/3 day affairs. The stars have finally aligned perfectly and I have my families first WDW (with children) trip booked and planned for June 2007, it wasn't easy but we did it.
The Haunted Mansion happens to be my most favorite ride and I haven't rode it for 16 years! I was looking forward to having my two daughters experience it. It does distress me tremendously to read from you all here about how run down the ride has become. I would hope, selfishly that this news is premature and the refurb will come a just little later. I wouldn't cancel my trip because of it but it would diminish the magic for me considerably, especially since I've pumped up my kids about how special this attraction is for me, I first rode it January 1972 and have never loved another ride as much.

Main Street USA

So many opinions.....so i'm gonna add my own:

1. HM needs referb 100%
2. New Additions need added (I will bring up that thousands of die hard mansion fans from the west coast complained when they heard of a new bride coming and now it's funny cuz everyone seems to LOVE it)
3. HMH needs to happen. I don't care if you like NBC or not we need to have the same festive feel as our sister parks and I think overlays are great especially if they have such great theme and tight integration. Most people who go to Disney durring the Holiday seasons go for the Holiday themed plussing of the average Disney environment.

If you think my points are off key then I personally feel you're not giving the Mansion itself the proper respect it diserves!

If Imagineers do bring the HMH to FL and new additions and referbs happen becuz of this I never want to hear any complaining from anyone again!
HMH simply doesn't have the power you all are giving it. The movie was, and still isn't, as popular as you all seem to think, and many who have seen it don't like it.

Nakasak hit the nail on the head with one true sentence about this mediocre movie's target audience:

"But do Emos and shoe stare-ers go to Disney (WDW)? I suggest that they dont. So who would the target audience be?"

Exactly, which is why they won't be putting it in WDW. Period. If you like it, you're free to visit DL.

Main Street USA

This news, if true, is terrible for me and my family.
My last trip to WDW was way back in 1990 with my wife when we were a young couple. We didn't intend to stay away for so long, I had all intentions of making it back in a couple of years. Life happened to us, sicknesses, deaths, job changes, lay-offs, children you name it, it probably has happened to us, the most we could do for vacations was plan local over-nighters or 2/3 day affairs. The stars have finally aligned perfectly and I have my families first WDW (with children) trip booked and planned for June 2007, it wasn't easy but we did it.
The Haunted Mansion happens to be my most favorite ride and I haven't rode it for 16 years! I was looking forward to having my two daughters experience it. It does distress me tremendously to read from you all here about how run down the ride has become. I would hope, selfishly that this news is premature and the refurb will come a just little later. I wouldn't cancel my trip because of it but it would diminish the magic for me considerably, especially since I've pumped up my kids about how special this attraction is for me, I first rode it January 1972 and have never loved another ride as much.
Please DO NOT believe the "run-down" stories above. They're grossly over-exaggerated. It's as beautiful inside as ever. The only real and noticable problem to those that don't visit often is that the audio may cut in or out, but even that is hit or miss.

These people that live down there tend to pick out every little thing because they see it so often. Us once a year or less tourists will see it as it has always been. ;)

pheneix

He was talking about WDW, not DL. Clearly, those types DO "swarm" DL.

Yeah, but it is not for a lack of emo population here. They pack in Busch and Universal on a regular basis. If Disney offered a Nightmare attraction it would probably be a huge success. If it is such an assault on the Kingdom of Magic and Strollers (another reason why I can't stand MK anymore. The only concepts that get approved there are for four year olds and adults with the minds of four year olds), then put it at MGM. That park needs all the help it can get.

Oh yeah, Nightmare has the highest theater per cap of any film currently in theaters. I'd say the film is still pretty popular.

They're grossly over-exaggerated. It's as beautiful inside as ever.

Yeah... In Anaheim!

Main Street USA

Yeah, but it is not for a lack of emo population here. They pack in Busch and Universal on a regular basis. If Disney offered a Nightmare attraction it would probably be a huge success. If it is such an assault on the Kingdom of Magic and Strollers (another reason why I can't stand MK anymore. The only concepts that get approved there are for four year olds and adults with the minds of four year olds), then put it at MGM. That park needs all the help it can get.

Oh yeah, Nightmare has the highest theater per cap of any film currently in theaters. I'd say the film is still pretty popular.

Yeah... In Anaheim!
Point missed. Nevermind.

Thurp

I'm fine with WDW not getting the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay. I love it, I've been there several years when they've had it and it's a personal favorite.

But I still want each park to retain its identity. I dislike cloned attractions (as much as I loved Soarin' at CA), I want to make sure that each park has unique features that will make me want to visit them just as much as I would love to visit Tokyo Disney Seas.

JustPlainBill

Please DO NOT believe the "run-down" stories above. They're grossly over-exaggerated. It's as beautiful inside as ever. The only real and noticable problem to those that don't visit often is that the audio may cut in or out, but even that is hit or miss.

These people that live down there tend to pick out every little thing because they see it so often. Us once a year or less tourists will see it as it has always been. ;)
Thanks for the perspective, I was torn between my own selfish needs and those of my beloved attraction.
I'll hope for the best and keep reading the posts here for updates.
Thanks, everyone.....your posts here are very informative and gives me a down-to-earth view of all that has changed and is changing since I last visited WDW.
Keep those post coming!
Lets see...1990, Horizons and World of Motion were going strong and so was Mr. Toad (more favorites of mine). 20,000 leagues was just shut down never to return.:cry:

JimboJones123

Giving WDW HM NBC WILL DIRECTLY AFFECT travel to DL for the holidays. It won't affect WDW nearly as much. It will cost the company overall if they do this. Let NBC DL be something special. Soup up something else at WDW for the holidays instead. IMAGINEERATE someting else.

kcnole

Please DO NOT believe the "run-down" stories above. They're grossly over-exaggerated. It's as beautiful inside as ever.

Then you obviously don't have the proper perspective on comparing this to what it once was. It doesn't necessarily need HMH, but it does need a major refurb. I'm a once a year guy, but the fact is even I noticed how bad it looked when I rode it this year compared to years past.

As mentioned, the audio is horrible
The Scrim needs cleaning and updated in several areas
The singing busts in the graveyard are horribly out of sync
The pop up ghosts are in horrible repair
The attic scene, while still working, is just so horribly out of date that it needs a massive overhaul.
The hitchhiking ghost effect seems to be slightly wrong as well.
And there's dust and cobwebs all over the place. (a little tongue in cheek on that one for those of you who miss sarcasm so often. lol)

There are still some wonderful sections of the ride and I still love it, but if you can't admit that it needs some major refurb then you're just ignoring it.

LaughingGravy

I saw the HM 3x just about a month ago today.
Unless you know what to look for in the way of what needs refurbishment, and are looking for it, you'll still enjoy it as much as the first day you ever saw it.
Audio cutting in/out didn't happen as much as the ride being stopped due to someone not making it in or out of the doom buggies in a timely manner.

imagineer boy

Main Street USA said:
HMH simply doesn't have the power you all are giving it. The movie was, and still isn't, as popular as you all seem to think, and many who have seen it don't like it.

I kinda have to disagree there. Its a classic movie. While its not a favourite of mine, I do like it and so do many others. Its always on TV during the holidays.

dandaman

When I went in late August, I was actually surprised at how WELL the audio sounded. I hadn't heard anything about a refurb, so it was that much more unexpected. (Even my mom commented on this.) It wasn't luck, either: I rode 4 more times during the vacation, each the same.

My "test" is usually when your host says, "Shhhhh... listen." If that isn't static, the rest of the trip is fine. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom