Haunted Mansion Refurbishment News!

disnyfan89

Original Poster
That is also a good point but I diddn't think about it to much becuase it seemed MNSSHP started really early this year. The 22nd of september would seem a little early for this overlay to be up and running but I only say that becuase they woud have to close the Mansion every august which is still extreamly buisy time of year.

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
If you change it that much, you're going to have a riot on your hands. They aren't that stupid. Look at POTC. They incorporated a character but didn't change the funamentals of the ride. Plus Jack is NOWHERE near the draw of POTC. Don't worry folks, Disney won't let us down (nevermind SGE).

polarboi

I don't believe the problem is the overlay. It's the time it takes to put it up and take it down. ALMOST TWO MONTHS OF THE YEAR! That's a little under 17% of the year that a major, marquee, e-ticket attraction with a huge reputation is closed. Not overlayed, just straight up CLOSED. Why do you think our HM is in such bad shape already??? Because to this point they haven't wanted to take it down for a very long period of time. The only reason this conversation is happening is because it's in such disrepair they're getting to where they HAVE to close it. There are no other options. But to close it yearly is begging for massive, massive guest complaints. I'm convinced it's about this, and not the actual overlay, that has kept Jack out of our HM.

And I understand your point that if some research were done, people would find this out. But come on. Let's be honest. The common person visits Disney very infrequently. They're not the people on these boards. They're not the ones with the finger on the pulse like we are. Attraction closures (for lengthy rehabs) probably aren't on the mind of Average Joe Tourist. It's all well and good that they should understand these things are required at times, but not all apparently agree with that... Or we wouldn't have our HM falling apart as much as it is right now because they'd be staying on top of it.

:sohappy: I rarely quote large portions of a post just to agree, but I think you've really hit the nail on the head here.

Clearly Disney doesn't have a problem with seasonal overlays at WDW; there are all kinds of things that happen in the parks to transform them throughout the year, especially at Christmas. But having a major attraction like the Haunted Mansion down for almost two months every year is a pretty big deal for a park that draws a lot of its business from once-in-a-lifetime and once-in-a-blue-moon visitors from around the world.

As much as we WDW fanatics would love to think it's all about us, we've got to remember that we are in the minority. The vast majority of WDW visitors don't do much if any research before they go, don't know what's going to be closed for refurbishment, and in many cases don't know what FastPass is or what attractions are out there. But if they went years ago, they'll look for the classic attractions they remember like Pirates and the Haunted Mansion, and if they're closed and their kids don't get to experience them on this once-in-a-lifetime trip, they'll be really unhappy.

Yeah, maybe they should do more research first, but most of them don't, and they're paying customers whose satisfaction is important to Disney and all of us.

-p.b. :cool:

Main Street USA

You know, I keep reading all of the posts about how WDW's Haunted Mansion is in disrepair, and/or in such terrible shape.

Let's all take a step back and stop exagerrating just to get our point across ok? Yes, it needs some rehab work, but most are minor things. Can it use upgrades? Of course, but it's FAR from in bad shape. I was on it a few months ago and it was great. It still uses technology from way back in the day, but that doesn't mean it's in an awful state.

Any closure of the attraction will likely bring about a few new technologies stated earlier in this thread, such as leota, the attic bride, etc. Jack from Nightmare Before Christmas will certainly not be any type of year-round visitor, and just as likely as that, he won't be in there for a few months either. Why? Read the two posts before me. That's why.

IcicleM

Yeah, Haunted Mansion is my favorite attraction, and I go every single time I go to Disney World (which is every two months) and the ride is fine, everything is beautiful and working well, and it is FAAAAR from "in extremely poor shape" or whatever y'all are saying. The ride is fun for me and so many other people just as it is, and the improvements (whatever they may be) will make the ride even more incredible.

In fact, I would love to see The Haunted Mansion as an actually really scary attraction. I think that would just be frickin' awesome.

If you REALLY want to think "disrepair" think about how Disneyland's old Space Mountain was. The outside color itself was nasty looking.

polarboi

Agreed that the HM, while in need of a refurb, is still a fine attraction.

Also, let me say that while I think that the Holiday is unlikely to come to WDW anytime soon (based purely on speculation, mind you), I absolutely adore the Holiday overlay. Personally, I prefer it to the regular mansion. Even so, I think there are good reasons not to bring it to Florida, as much as I'd love to see it.

I think the new effects Disneyland's Mansion has would be nice, though.

-p.b. :cool:

CThaddeus

I stopped reading after the first sentence of your post, because you don't understand well.

I responded to a post that said this:

"The only people who dislike Haunted Mansion Holiday are people who have never actually experienced the attraction for themselves."

That merits a response of "you can speak for everyone?" because he SPOKE FOR EVERYONE.

Nothing I wrote even remotely implied I was speaking for annyone but myself, genius. Read next time..........then post.

Wrong. here's your DIRECT QUOTE "...but people who come once a year want to see the real thing, not a movie makeover." People means more than one person. People means a group of persons...in fact it's such a vague term you may in fact be referring to everyone on the planet. I did read. You, by your own admission did not. And apparently you didn't read your own post as well. I do not claim to be a "genius," (thank you, however, for the compliment) but I do know the defintion of "people," and you aren't speaking for all of the people.

Main Street USA

Wrong. here's your DIRECT QUOTE "...but people who come once a year want to see the real thing, not a movie makeover." People means more than one person. People means a group of persons...in fact it's such a vague term you may in fact be referring to everyone on the planet. I did read. You, by your own admission did not. And apparently you didn't read your own post as well. I do not claim to be a "genius," (thank you, however, for the compliment) but I do know the defintion of "people," and you aren't speaking for all of the people.
You've misread and interpreted a vague reference to the general public. I, in no way, directly referred to the thoughts or demands of everyone attending WDW.

The other poster, in fact, did.

If you'd like to try another shot at clever word play to prove you're right, you may, but don't do it for my sake. It's wasted on me.

CThaddeus

You've misread and interpreted a vague reference to the general public. I, in no way, directly referred to the thoughts or demands of everyone attending WDW.

The other poster, in fact, did.

If you'd like to try another shot at clever word play to prove you're right, you may, but don't do it for my sake. It's wasted on me.

Look, I'm not going to continue to fight about this; I simply wished to point out that in telling the other poster that he's wrong in trying to speak for everyone, you're equally wrong in doing so, too. There was no "word play" on my part, simply a reading of your post and pointing out the obvious use of the word "people" instead of "I" or "me." You're making a broad generalization in saying people don't want it to be changed. You (and some other posters in this thread) don't want it to be changed, and that's fine. You're welcome to YOUR opinion, but again, you said "people." If you can't accept the fact that you did exactly what the other person did, that's fine as well. I make broad generalizations myself from time to time and don't want to admit I've done it. We can all a bit stubborn (broad generalization, but I think this one does apply). Heck, I'm being stubborn myself just by continuing to debate the obvious with you. Have a nice evening.
Oh, and getting back to the original post - I'm happy to hear there may be a refurb in Haunted Mansion's future. I didn't notice anything wrong when I was last there in May, but a refurb is always welcome.

dkrfla

I would be happy if they just replaced all of the speakers in the Doom Buggies. I mean I know what he says by heart at this point but it's still moderately annoying and I imagine frustrating for guests who only get to hear it occasionally.

D~

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Its a glorified carnival ride thats only popular because of nostalgia. Instead of wasting money on a pants overlay based on an old cult (as in not that popular) movie, the money should be used to invest in state of the art dark ride, like Superman style, you could even keep the ghost theme, just ditch the 90 year old mechanical pop ups and cheesy Walmart quality masks and costumes.

JLW11Hi

I would be happy if they just replaced all of the speakers in the Doom Buggies. I mean I know what he says by heart at this point but it's still moderately annoying and I imagine frustrating for guests who only get to hear it occasionally.

D~

ditto.

I dunno guys, when I was on the Haunted Mansion back in 2004 the audio sucked pretty bad, cutting in and out and stuff. Rarely did I ride it when the audio played the full way through. That's really distracting if you ask me. And even when it is working, it sounds like the "ghost host" is communicating with a two-way radio. From what I remember, you can hear the doombuggy audio "click" after everything he says.

The other thing I hope they could take a look at is the way the buggies turn on their axis. They aren't very smooth. They kinda bump back and forth everytime your buggy turns in another direction.

As someone said before, the graveyard sceen is always hard for me to make out because of that screen. All the animatronics are blurry and fuzzy, I can't make them out. They could fix up all the audio in that scene as well. It seems like there are 5 different tracks being played at once, but they don't synch up well, so it sounds muddy.

I love this ride, but it would be so much more effective if they would fix some of these things up.

Chape19714

Its a glorified carnival ride thats only popular because of nostalgia. Instead of wasting money on a pants overlay based on an old cult (as in not that popular) movie, the money should be used to invest in state of the art dark ride, like Superman style, you could even keep the ghost theme, just ditch the 90 year old mechanical pop ups and cheesy Walmart quality masks and costumes.
The Pop ups would be removed if we get the new Attic Bride (Constance)

As for not being a popular movie, that's completely incorrect. Nightmare is an extremely popular film to this day, they still sell TONS of Nightmare Merchandise at WDW and DL. Just last week Disney re-released Nightmare to a limited number of theaters and it made $3.3M from only 168 theaters for a sizzling $19,536 per venue. The film originally opened in October of 1993 and grossed a solid $50M.

Far from un-popular, and that was only a 1 day run!

As far as being a carnival ride, again I must disagree, the Haunted Mansion has a story behind it, and manages to be creepy yet almost poetic through out the entire attraction. Much more thought was put into this attraction than a Carnival ride.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Far from un-popular, and that was only a 1 day run!

But do Emos and shoe stare-ers go to Disney? I suggest that they dont. So who would the target audience be?

As for having a story line what is it? And I dont mean the story line as you know it but from how it is visualy presented.

IMHO it is a lot of spooky scenes with a story line in name rather than what enfolds in your Doom buggy.

Kaertos

Rude much?

See, the beautiful thing here is that October, November and December come in the SAME PART OF THE CALENDAR every single year. If you want to see Haunted Mansion, then DON'T PLAN YOUR TRIP in one of the months that you would *KNOW* far in advance will feature the Holiday overlay.

This theory of "I only come once in a while" is total bull. It's been used many times in the past by others as well. Why would you drop thousands of dollars without doing a minimal amount of research first? It's not like the Haunted Mansion Holiday overlay is a SURPRISE, it's not like it JUST HAPPENS without knowing about it. No one says you have to like it, but don't use lame self-centered excuses to defend not having it. There's almost nine months of the year that Haunted Mansion would have nothing to do with the Nightmare Before Christmas. If you book a vacation in the *three* that have the overlay, it's no one's fault but your own.

Harsh? You may think so - I completely disagree. I see it as realistic.

First off, I think HM needs a little TLC. When I was there this summer it was a little shabby and the DoomBuggies were noisy. Nothing that ruined the ride for me, but noticeable.

Secondly, I do my research before I go. However, it's not like I can adjust my vacations willy-nilly. In fact, the trip I have planned for next year in December has been on the calendar since July. I have a friend who is going with us that has to ask for time off a year in advance. So no, we can't adjust because there will be a refurb or an overlay on a ride.

As far as knowing it was happening, this rumor just happened. I was supposed to know this back in July? How's that? I do not begrudge Disney changing up the HM for the holidays, nor do I think it is a terrible idea. I will be disappointed if I can't ride my favorite ride in the original format. It won't ruin my vacation, nor will it cause me to lose any sleep, but I will be disapponted nonetheless.

culturenthrills

After going to DL this summer and then coming back and riding our HM recently. The one at MK is in such awful condition because of the lack of rehabs and tlc. One of the reasons DL's HM has gotten all of the new stuff and all of the tlc it gets is because of HMH. If they hadn't starting doing that every year DL's prob. wouldn't have gotten all of the upgrades it gets. I think HMH in florida would be a big hit and the mansion here would get a little tlc every year instead of being allowed to fall apart over the years. I realize that florida has more tourists but WDW has started going after the locals alot more this year. A few months ago they started running commercials for annual passes all over the radio. They are really trying to get the locals to help the slower times of the year. I think HMH would boost the attendance even more to MK during the slower times in Oct. and Nov. and early Dec. I hate to say it but the days of MK getting by with short rehabs on the older attractions is probably over. The park is 35 years old and many of the attractions are going to need alot more work every year to keep them running. I would love to have HMH and IASWH here in florida. It would make Christmas time that much more special in the Magic Kingdom.

pheneix

But do Emos and shoe stare-ers go to Disney? I suggest that they dont.

Clearly you do not visit Disneyland that often. I've seen that park swarmed with goth kids, and more often than not they are there to go ride Haunted Mansion Holiday.

FL Disney management is blowing it by not going after demographics that are supposedly "outside the target audience." Hell, their own Halloween party is barely half as popular as Halloween Horror Nights, and Universal's event flat out sucks this year.

dakben

The only people who dislike Haunted Mansion Holiday are people who have never actually experienced the attraction for themselves. :cool:

Hate to disagree, but I saw the HMH and hated every minute of it. Leave the Haunted Mansion story alone. Modernize the attraction? Yes. Improve the lighting and audio? Definitely. Jack Skellington? I hope not.

scottnj1966

I am sure it will have the updates that disneyland already has done.
Which are awesome by the way.

I will get some clips of the video I took here as soon as I can.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom