Haunted Mansion Holiday at MK?

Mansion Butler

I think you are asking how long the last Mansion refurb was, right? I listed those dates about 10 posts ago, but... The last one was in January, 2007. The Haunted Mansion was closed from January 8th through January 17th. It was closed for 10 days. If you are asking about the last update to the Mansion that resulted in the new technology added to the attic and stuff, that was done in January 2006. That downtime took them about a month to install all of the new stuff, if I remember right.

As for the Rivers of America, you must have visited in the winter of 2007 when the only ride operating during construction of Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island was the Canoes. The Mark Twain was overhauled and repainted and the Columbia remained moored at the dock and was only open as a maritime museum. The rafts and island were closed to be turned into Pirate's Lair, which just left the Canoes running from mid February until late May.

Or you may have visited in the winter of 2003 when the river was drained for maintenance. They drain the river for maintenance every 10 to 12 years or so. The last time that had been done was the winter of 1992 during the construction of Fantasmic!. They'll probably drain the river again around the winter of 2013 if past practice holds.

Spring of 2003 and the last two times my friend (who now works there) was there, it was fenced.

Mansion Butler

There's more rides at Disneyland than Disneyworld's Magic Kingdom? Oh, no. Too bad there's only THREE OTHER MAJOR DISNEY PARKS I can go to.

Take your head out of wherever you've hidden it and read what people are writing. Disneyland appears to be better maintained NOW because ten years ago it was falling into disrepair and had to be refurbed - even with money made from WDW!! Our tourism paid for your maintenance. Disneyland had the 50th anniversary celebration recently, so of course the fresh coat of paint went there. And now, WDW is catching up by planning refurbs on numerous rides that are in need of it.

And, the 'superior' versions of rides at DLR compared to WDW could be subjective. I love the new Tiki Room.

Why does every thread turn into either a wand thread, a DLR vs WDW thread, or a ing contest?

Back on topic, I would love to see HMH. But I can appreciate that WDW has it's reasons for not bringing it here. I had always heard it was cause Burton didn't want his characters 'spread too thin'.... too late for that, eh?

And two water parks, mini-golf courses, multiple pro-level golf courses, and resorts that are worth visiting in their own right. Comparing the Magic Kingdom to Disneyland without considering anything else is fair-ish. I don't think you can compare the two resorts to eachother at all.

Mansion Butler

Well, since they are shutting down HM during a good part of the summer for an extensive rehab/refurb maybe they'll add the Nightmare Before Christmas stuff in there--heck, we can always dream, right?

No, they're not going to. And alot of the devotees to the easterly park consider it a good thing.

PigletIsMyCat

And two water parks, mini-golf courses, multiple pro-level golf courses, and resorts that are worth visiting in their own right. Comparing the Magic Kingdom to Disneyland without considering anything else is fair-ish. I don't think you can compare the two resorts to eachother at all.

I don't agree that comparing Magic Kingdom to Disneyland is fair-ish. I think that they are two totally different creatures. Disneyland was built with little to no intention of adding parks. Magic Kingdom was built with the PURPOSE of building more parks around it. At Disneyland, every ride HAD to be put into Disneyland, and DCA came much, much, MUCH later. At Magic Kingdom, they knew there would be another park for different/new ideas, so there was no need to put every ride possible into Magic Kingdom.

While the ideals of the parks are similar, they are not comparable. Nor is DL/DCA and WDW comparable at all, as stated by Mansion Butler.

Mansion Butler

I don't agree that comparing Magic Kingdom to Disneyland is fair-ish. I think that they are two totally different creatures. Disneyland was built with little to no intention of adding parks. Magic Kingdom was built with the PURPOSE of building more parks around it. At Disneyland, every ride HAD to be put into Disneyland, and DCA came much, much, MUCH later. At Magic Kingdom, they knew there would be another park for different/new ideas, so there was no need to put every ride possible into Magic Kingdom.

While the ideals of the parks are similar, they are not comparable. Nor is DL/DCA and WDW comparable at all, as stated by Mansion Butler.

Hence the ish, but I don't feel like giving a park credit based on stuff outside the park. Now, I do like MK more than DL, but I think it's a fine argument.

cdunbar

Yes DLR might have more rides in the actual park than we do but thats because our park has a much better flow~! I mean when I was reading guide books to prepare for my trip this year, it was later cancelled because my Dad became extremley ill, that was the one thing the always highlighted. They would say if you want to watch Fantasmic be sure to be super early b/c the walkways to watch is on are severly narrow. I mean I already know alot about flow from working with my father and flow is something that sells a property! Now I know you're thinking that my opinion is not accurate b/c I have yet to visit DLR but I know plenty of people who have and thats what they always say, that it isn't as easy to get around DL as it is WDW. So like I said in a nutshell FLOW will sell a property so to speak....

Fried Chicken

that it isn't as easy to get around DL as it is WDW.
:lol:
Obviously those folks have never ever been to Disneyland. The parks are located right across from each other and the trams take no more than 5 minutes to reach the esplanade.

And that is downright lie that you need to be at Fantasmic super early. I've been there one some extremely busy days and got a good view without cutting in front.

Yes DLR might have more rides in the actual park than we do but thats because our park has a much better flow

But you've never been, making your so-called factual statement completely void.

Our tourism paid for your maintenance.
:lol: Piglet, stop making outrageous claims unless you have any sort of facts to them to back them up. Do you really expect me to believe that Disneyland isn't capable of making money unless they borrow from Florida?? :lol: Yeah, because Disneyland's attendance is really suffering right now.

Enderikari

But you've never been, making your so-called factual statement completely void.

Well then, here's my factual statement, the pathways of DL are much, much smaller and harder to navigate then the pathways of WDW. I love Disneyland, but after every visit, I am left with a distinct impression of their stunning lack of efficiency. From the jets blocking the entrance into Tomorrowland, and forcing guests into bottlenecks of two passages around it (one sometimes has PUSH in the path, further causing people to stop in the middle of the walkway), to the crowded mess that is New Orleans Square, anywhere near the shops, Disneyland is simply too compact to have those wide pathways of WDW, and isn't built to accomodate as many people in transit

Fried Chicken

Well then, here's my factual statement, the pathways of DL are much, much smaller
True.

harder to navigate then the pathways of WDW.

Opinion. Some find it quite easy.

I love Disneyland, but after every visit, I am left with a distinct impression of their stunning lack of efficiency.

Maybe the fact that it was built 52 years ago and not 1971 had something to do with it?

one sometimes has PUSH in the path
You can't expect me to believe that a garbage can creates a huge traffic mess. And to top it off, Push isn't even in Tomorrowland anymore!

and isn't built to accomodate as many people in transit

1955 vs. 1971, which park would have the advantage?

Fried Chicken

I'm enjoying the differing viewpoints-- please don't let this disintegrate into a slapfest. Thanks, guys :)
I enjoy the discussions too and hearing your view is nice as well. Many Disney World and Disneyland fans alike are very accepting of both parks.

I just don't like the mentality that some have that if a poster disagrees with them, then they are a troll. If someone has nothing to add but a personal attack, then they shouldn't post here, that is a major hint to one of the posters who wandered in here.

EpcotServo

Not that I'm taking a side, but I've never had any problems with pathways at Disneyland. None more so than right here at Magic Kingdom. The only reason I got into a few gridlocks were because of it being REALLY crowded. I've had that happen at Magic Kingdom too, so the pathway argument isn't really strong, IMHO. On regular days, Disneyland's paths are fine.

Fried Chicken

Not that I'm taking a side, but I've never had any problems with pathways at Disneyland. None more so than right here at Magic Kingdom. The only reason I got into a few gridlocks were because of it being REALLY crowded. I've had that happen at Magic Kingdom too, so the pathway argument isn't really strong, IMHO. On regular days, Disneyland's paths are fine.
I agree as well.

Disneyland has a substantially lower capacity than the Magic Kingdom. I think Disneyland's in park capacity is rough 50,000. That means on a busy day, the park will fill up a lot quicker than the Magic Kingdom.

However, if we take an example like Christmas Holidays, both parks will probably be gridlocked because both parks will probably be at full capacity.

TP2000

Spring of 2003 and the last two times my friend (who now works there) was there, it was fenced.

So it was the spring of 2003 then. There was no fence up during this winters refurbishment of Tom Sawyer Island. They place the fence up when the river is drained. The last time was winter/spring of 2003, and the time before that was the winter/spring of 1992.

Just avoid returing during the winter/spring of the year 2013 and you should be good. Check back for exact dates in late 2012.

Mansion Butler

I agree as well.

Disneyland has a substantially lower capacity than the Magic Kingdom. I think Disneyland's in park capacity is rough 50,000. That means on a busy day, the park will fill up a lot quicker than the Magic Kingdom.

No, Disneyland's capacity is higher. Significantly higher.

And that's all I'm saying on that one.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom