Haunted Mansion has glowing entrance signs now

Rob562

People keep calling them "neon" signs. They're not. They're letters that are up-lit with a strip of light from below. (Look at the spill light that falls on the tops of the columns)

Also, can we get someone out there to take a *real* nighttime photo? In the meantime, look at the relative brightness of the signs and compare that to the lantern way in the background. I don't think I've heard anyone complaining about a mega-bright floodlight in the queue before...

Though I will say that one effect that might've been cooler would've been if the lettering was treated with a UV paint and the uplights below them were UV blacklights, causing the lettering to glow on its own in the dark...

-Rob

Mickey1984

Quite like the look of these signs, but will reserve final judgment until I have seen them in person (god knows when they will be :( ) but from the pic I think they look pretty good, wonder if they could have an effect on them where they flicker to make them look older and run down, that would be pretty sweet ...

dadddio

I have a question.

Why, oh why, are all the FP+ entrances getting to use the more impressive entrances into the buildings?
I mean, HM probably isn't so bad, but the FP+ entrance still goes through the central gap inbetween those pillars, and the one directly infront of the HM itself.
I noticed them doing it with the GMR too. Instead of walking through the courtyard and soaking in all of the Chinese Theatre and all the hand prints on the floor, Standby entrance - ees are now pushed around the edge of the courtyard and in through another entrance.
Is this supposed to make FP+ more desirable because they get the best entrances?? I think it's stupid.
Because FP is the primary line. Stand By is, by definition, the subordinate line.

Tom Morrow

If you are stopping to play with the interactive games and the line moves, I will be passing right by. Simple as that.
But if the line in front of you only moves a few feet before stopping again, what does that gain you? Nothing, and it could start an argument.

This is why the interactive queues are not really a great idea. Especially not for today's WDW clientele of people who refuse to listen to anything.

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
Related question...

Now that standbys are forced thru the interactive queue - what is the queue etiquette? Wait for those that stare & play? Go past them?

I was at MK this past weekend and saw CM's reacting to a problem with the standby queue during slow periods. During slow periods, they seem to have an operational issue where folks are interacting with the queue resulting in large gaps ahead of them in the line. This results in a backup of the queue while at the same time they are loading stretch rooms less than half full.

There is actually a bypass in the standby queue that can be used to deal with this and I saw it used twice on Sunday. Just before you turn left into the graveyard, there is a doorway built into the gated wall straight ahead of you that opens from the other side. A CM had opened that gate and was routing guests straight through into the staging area to enter the mansion bypassing the graveyard. It allowed them to move the line along more quickly and ensure each load of the stretch rooms was full. Once things were caught up guests were again routed through the graveyard.

Bottom line, they actually do have something into the queue (it's also for fire safety I believe as well) that allows them to react to the queue getting clogged up in the graveyard and resulting in partial loads of the stretch rooms if they desire.

Prince-1

Yep, at least currently, the FP/FP+ li

But if the line in front of you only moves a few feet before stopping again, what does that gain you? Nothing, and it could start an argument.

This is why the interactive queues are not really a great idea. Especially not for today's WDW clientele of people who refuse to listen to anything.

I agree about the interactive queues but if people want to stop and play and not continue with traffic they are getting passed. If they get upset then I'd point out the line was moving and they weren't. Simple as that. But i agree the queues do add problems with people not moving with the flow of traffic. But on Space Mountain, when people stop and play Asteroids we walk right past them simply because there is usually tons of room to move forward and i don't want to wait while someone goes for the high score!

Bairstow

Just saw the signs this weekend and I regret that I didn't take a picture.
They look fine, day or night.

I think the real problem is the music/wind effects they now play at the beginning of the queue near the signs. It's way too loud and breaks the initial intent of the Mansion's exterior, which was to create a sense of abandonment and mystery, not to smack the guest right in the face with, "THIS IS A HAUNTED HOUSE." I want to say the loop they're playing is the same woodwind track played in the portrait hall queue before load.

IMHO there should be no Mansion music outside of the mansion, and really no sound effects period save for the hellhound howls.

Bairstow

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it, has anyone else noticed that the Mansion interior seems a bit brighter currently?
I don't know if it was lighting or dust or whatever but on Sunday the array wires holding up the Leota ball were much more visible than I remember them being.

Finally, is there a new audio track playing in the mix in the graveyard sequence? It seems to replace the prim-sounding tea-drinking lady.
Can't explain why, but I'm positive this isn't the original track for this voice.

This is the original. What's playing now replaces it:

darthspielberg

Even if it wasn't completely intentional. It's an awfully convenient way to increase the amount of Park Traditionalists using Fastpass+, even against their better judgment. I cannot stress enough how much the interactive Queue is loathed in Haunted Mansion Fan-circles

I am a life long Haunted Mansion fan who converses with many a Mansion fan, and you are really the only person I've seen spew outright hatred towards the queue. That's not me saying you are wrong, but I think it's could also be a bit of an echo chamber thing.

Tom Morrow

I agree about the interactive queues but if people want to stop and play and not continue with traffic they are getting passed. If they get upset then I'd point out the line was moving and they weren't. Simple as that. But i agree the queues do add problems with people not moving with the flow of traffic. But on Space Mountain, when people stop and play Asteroids we walk right past them simply because there is usually tons of room to move forward and i don't want to wait while someone goes for the high score!
Yeah, but you missed the point, if you pass someone, only to stop a few feet ahead, you didn't gain any time, you just skipped the people in front of you for no reason.

HMF

I am a life long Haunted Mansion fan who converses with many a Mansion fan, and you are really the only person I've seen spew outright hatred towards the queue. That's not me saying you are wrong, but I think it's could also be a bit of an echo chamber thing.
You apparently are not familiar with Long Forgotten.

BiffyClyro

Is anyone else a little irritated by the single rider line? We always go in 2 by 2 and i feel like they are too small to have a complete stranger next to you? I usually don;t mind, it just sees really unnecessary to add that line since the wait time is never too ridiculous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom