Haunted Mansion has glowing entrance signs now

lazyboy97o

I think since the people who hate the interactive stuff also seem to hate FP+ they've done those people (myself included) a favor by making the stand by line the low key and more original entrance
Huh? The Stand-By Line is through the interactive queue.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The current gates were not there originally, They were added in 2000-ish because of Fastpass. The gates used to be closer to the Mansion's entrance and the canopy has gotten WAY too big to the point that it obstructs the house from certain angles.

They were moved further out to their current location near the boat house.. but that isn't so much a bad thing. Let's look at the HM's earlier days...

Haunted-Mansion.jpg

Not nearly as mysterious and foreboding when it's all naked and exposed like that.

I get that some people don't like the canopy because of what it does to the river views, but I think the hatred is overblown IMO. The stand-off gates are value add (sans the stupid kneel boats building)

HMF

Huh? The Stand-By Line is through the interactive queue.
They know the die-hard fans hate PLQ, They also know the Die-hard fans are likely to dislike FP+. So by having the standby line going through PLQ, It makes it more likely that the fans will sell out and subscribe to Fastpass+ in order to avoid having to go through PLQ. It's a bald-faced scheme.

HMF

They were moved further out to their current location near the boat house.. but that isn't so much a bad thing. Let's look at the HM's earlier days...

Haunted-Mansion.jpg

Not nearly as mysterious and foreboding when it's all naked and exposed like that.

I get that some people don't like the canopy because of what it does to the river views, but I think the hatred is overblown IMO. The stand-off gates are value add (sans the stupid kneel boats building)
Personally I think the entrance gate should be facing out toward the Hearse. If you visualize the canopy ending about where that light fixture on the right is.

Animaniac93-98

Haunted-Mansion.jpg

I've already explained elsewhere why I prefer that look, but the reason I don't like the canopy so much is this:

- It looks temporary
- It undermines the forced perspective by giving another reference point for height

I understand why it was hastily added in 1972, but if you're going to have something be a permanent fixture you should make it look like one. See the Phantom Manor queue for a good example. I also dislike how we lost the lamposts shown in this picture when it was widened in 2007 (yet the poles are oddly still there).

But in terms of colour, I'm glad they've gone back to green for it instead of red.

HMF

That's paranoid nonsense.
Even if it wasn't completely intentional. It's an awfully convenient way to increase the amount of Park Traditionalists using Fastpass+, even against their better judgment. I cannot stress enough how much the interactive Queue is loathed in Haunted Mansion Fan-circles

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
They know the die-hard fans hate PLQ, They also know the Die-hard fans are likely to dislike FP+. So by having the standby line going through PLQ, It makes it more likely that the fans will sell out and subscribe to Fastpass+ in order to avoid having to go through PLQ. It's a bald-faced scheme.
OK...I'll bite...

What is a PLQ?

lazyboy97o

Even if it wasn't completely intentional. It's an awfully convenient way to increase the amount of Park Traditionalists using Fastpass+, even against their better judgment. I cannot stress enough how much the interactive Queue is loathed in Haunted Mansion Fan-circles
There is nothing convenient about. It's part of a bigger project that seems to have stalled out in the mean time.

George Lucas on a Bench

Haunted-Mansion.jpg

The house appears to be looming on a hill here. It's much more foreboding. Yet, at the same time, it is not threatening. So even though they went with a different design, they initially kept the house and grounds maintained similar to Disneyland's. You know, like Walt Disney wanted for The Haunted Mansion. Now there are trees everywhere obscuring the house (yet no ornate flower bed), a circus canopy, McDonald's playland and glowing un-themed signs out front. Not to mention chains everywhere.

HMF

There is nothing convenient about. It's part of a bigger project that seems to have stalled out in the mean time.
The powers that be at Disney have exemplified in the past their outright contempt toward Park Traditionalists so I wouldn't put it above them.

Oddysey

I think the signs look fine during the day and fit the overall theme. As far as being to bright at night it is difficult to tell from a picture because typically pictures seem to make lights appear brighter. I will defer judgement until I see them in person, but I suspect that will not appear as bright as in the picture.

HMF

Related question...

Now that standbys are forced thru the interactive queue - what is the queue etiquette? Wait for those that stare & play? Go past them?
Wear an IPod with the HM Ambient track on it and stare straight ahead. Look at the outer graveyard and try to mentally screen out the interactive crypts to the best of your ability and encourage others to do likewise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom