Haunted Mansion details begin to emerge

csm

THERE IS A PLOT

Thats the whole thing about Disney. ALL of their attractions tell a story. Kinda a thing they do. There is not one single attraction at Disney that does not have a story.

Even PotC had a plot before it was changed. hence helping the plot in the movie.

One of you is right; one of you is wrong. I'll save you the trouble of speculation:

Merf is right.

WDWFigment

My bet is that the mirror is just there to help them work on the model in hard to see places. Maybe not...what purpose might that serve in the actual ride?

Buried20KLeague

*sings*

~Nobody cares, but I see a giant mirror in the model, and I think that's nifty..~

:lol:

I saw it... I just don't know that I'm that worked up about it. :lol:

I'm more interested in the paper candelabras, personally. Might these float and travel the length of each staircase? Kinda like the endless hallway on steroids?

I've just got to imagine there's going to be more to this scene than a ton of staircases. I think there's got to be some kind of "wow" effect they're going to add.

Maybe it'll be plastic spiders. :lookaroun

Buried20KLeague

I think to do the same thing it's doing in the photo - which is reflecting the crazy stairs and making the place look like it goes on and on. They might put some lighting FX behind the mirror - but i think it's just mounted flat on the wall.

Well, not only that. If they had a set of mirrors above and behind the doombuggies as they pass, it could double the amount of staircases seen in refections, too... Mirrors on two walls, basically, not just one.

bayoutinkbelle

Ya know, I'm really glad for "ignore" buttons. :D

Count me in as one who's glad to see the cheesy spiders go. They always seemed out of place to me, on par with the best effects that cheap traveling carnivals could manage. I anticipate riding HM again and again come October.

Thanks for that pic, Merf! Excitement truly is building! :sohappy:

CoffeeJedi

Head Mouse, "unofficial" means "unofficial". Just because a bunch of fans get together and declare something to be true doesn't mean it is. You need to calm down dude.

Also, don't get hung up on the word "story". Story and plot are not the same thing. There are stories within the mansion, including an all-encompassing one that ties them all together. This story is rather ambiguous on purpose (there's a quote in Surrell's book from Walt himself to this effect)

What the mansion lacks however, is a "plot". That typical conflict buildup/climax/resolution. The closest it ever approaches that is "you are visiting an old house, mysterious things begin to happen and ghostly voice leads you on, the ghost of a fortune teller calls forth spirits, those spirits then materialize and throw a party, one ghost leaves with you". That's the only "plot" of the mansion.

dave2822

Was the HM's popularity diminishing prior to the rehab? PoTC sure has gotten a healthy boost in popularity and attendance after its rehab, hopefully Hm's rehab will do the same for it.

If the tricks and illusions still wowed guests after all these years, with the new technology available I'm hoping for some really cool stuff.

Sir_Cliff

All very cool!

Hopefully this is the start of a new re-energised MK. Hopefully new Disney will kill the old Disney in this case!

LivinWitTheLand

They really need some sort of screening process on who is allowed to join here.

I think most people come here fro good Disney talk. Not to deal with abbreviate obscenities.

head mouse

Head Mouse, "unofficial" means "unofficial". Just because a bunch of fans get together and declare something to be true doesn't mean it is. You need to calm down dude.

Also, don't get hung up on the word "story". Story and plot are not the same thing. There are stories within the mansion, including an all-encompassing one that ties them all together. This story is rather ambiguous on purpose (there's a quote in Surrell's book from Walt himself to this effect)

What the mansion lacks however, is a "plot". That typical conflict buildup/climax/resolution. The closest it ever approaches that is "you are visiting an old house, mysterious things begin to happen and ghostly voice leads you on, the ghost of a fortune teller calls forth spirits, those spirits then materialize and throw a party, one ghost leaves with you". That's the only "plot" of the mansion.

No unofficial means it is not a site made by Disney. it does not make the information any less true. And I am sorry you do not understand that a story and plot ARE the same. they go hand in hand.

Main Street USA

I would tend to agree. POTC was simply a series of scenes of a bunch of pirates pillaging a seaport.

Haunted Mansion was a series of scenes from a Haunted Mansion. The only story line that I would tend to recognize was that you went into the Mansion, you were told to "try and find a way out", which is what your journey through the Mansion is reflective of. If the orriginal attraction had never had a bride in the attic, the pipe in the concrete would have never been given wedding ring status. Not every attraction needs a theme or a story. Sometimes a roller coaster is justs a roller coaster....
My understanding of POTC was this...

You began the ride in the present, showing what has become of the pirates. Then the drop takes you into the past to show you how they once were. Maybe that's way off, but it made sense to me.

dxwwf3

Absolutely fantastic news. This is what most of us were hoping to hear when this refurb was announced. Maybe the winds of change are starting to sweep through the Magic Kingdom and it can once again become the crown jewel of the resort. Thanks for the news and thank you Disney.

Animaniac93-98

attempting to stay on topic: Thanks so much for the picture Merf! When I first read about the multiple staircase I thought it might look like that M.C. Escher painting, and now I can see it is! The upsidedown candles look neat plus I think the mirrors will be used to make an upsidedown reflection of the guests going past the scene (that's why theres two of them).

Also does anybody have a pic of what the original scene looked like with the screaming man?

head mouse

They really need some sort of screening process on who is allowed to join here.

I think most people come here fro good Disney talk. Not to deal with abbreviate obscenities.

Yeah God forbid someone come in here and try and teach you all something I mean you are all stuck in your ways (most of them wrong) and refuse to learn something new.

raven

I never dropped anything...Jesus Christ people stop being so restarted.

OK you have crossed the line there and that post is grounds for banishment in my opinion so be careful. :mad:

First off, as my user name suggests, I am a HUGE HM fan and have been for nearly 30 years. My first ride made such an impression on me that I needed to know everything about it (effects, ride system, music, story, ghosts, lighting, the building, imagineers, everything). I have read doombuggies.com as I am a member of that site as well for about 10 years. I have the books about the HM including the one listed in the other posts that people talk about. I have talked to a few of the WDI's that have created the attraction as well and they have autographed prints of their work for my own collection.

Saying that, I know for a fact that the HM never had an "agreed upon" plot when it was built. The WDI's working on the project had completely different views of what HM should be. They argued constantly about little things and some things were thrown out all together (example: the fisherman). What the HM has become today (and when it openned) is simply a collection of ideas from each WDI that worked on the project. It does not follow a planned story as certain scenes were designed by different people. The only story, or what you can call a story, that was decided was that it was a retirement home for ghosts. That's it!

What the "story" has become today is made up from the HM fans over the years. Master Gracy was simply a grave outside the HM that was prominent enough for fans to think it was his mansion. The bride had no original connection to the body hanging above the stretching room. Madam Leota was another WDI's idea that had no connection to the other ares as well. The breathing door, for example, was taken from the 1963 film The Haunting.

So as you can see there really wasn't a plot when the attraction was built. The fans have made the story and, being good for marketing, Disney went with it when they made the movie version of the mansion.

I, for one, was terrified when I heard about the HM getting a major rehab. I am a classic person myself. But I also love that Disney has listened to the HM fans and are giving them more of what they want. These new changes will further push along the story that the fans have made up, spiders or no spiders.

Just my honest opinion from a true "classics lover" fan and I love the new changes! :wave:

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Of course he is. He's a long time standing member of this board and how dare we talk down about a long time member even if they are wrong. cliques always have to stick together. how about you all try to do research and then get back to me. ANd I don't mean just read ONE book.

Oh yeah, me and Merf are tight. :rolleyes:

I dont always agree with Merf, and actually jumped his case in the LaL thread....but on this issue, I tend to agree with him. Plus, he doesnt propose the needless assasination of most Americans. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom