Haunted Mansion details begin to emerge

Champion

Your not seeing the point. it' snot about the quality of the effect. So if they replaced the cheap spiders with some better AA spiders that cost a lot of money it would be ok? Who cares. some of the best haunted house in the world are done with cheap effects.

The point is that its a classic and it don't need changed.

So your logic is that if its good enough for some cheapo haunted house, its good enough for Walt Disney World? Yeah ...

Classics do need to be updated from time to time. Deal with it. This isn't the first one to do so, and it won't be the last.

dave2822

Every attraction has a story? I never heard the tale of TriceraTop Spin!
Can some ye olde story teller on these boards enchant me with this intricate tale? :lookaroun

mousermerf

Account Suspended
K. See ya. :wave:

Hey Merf, great pic. I'm going to ask your question again... Do we know who that is in the picture?? It's obviously regarding our mansion... Weird that it would be leaked out. I mean, it looks like one of the "classic" Disney behind the scenes pictures that they take for posterity.

I think it might be. I just know it's around the web, kinda like how my photos float off to other realms sometimes. I guess when someone steps in and says "hey! That's my photo!" we'll know.

head mouse

I would tend to agree. POTC was simply a series of scenes of a bunch of pirates pillaging a seaport.

Haunted Mansion was a series of scenes from a Haunted Mansion. The only story line that I would tend to recognize was that you went into the Mansion, you were told to "try and find a way out", which is what your journey through the Mansion is reflective of. If the orriginal attraction had never had a bride in the attic, the pipe in the concrete would have never been given wedding ring status. Not every attraction needs a theme or a story. Sometimes a roller coaster is justs a roller coaster....

And thats when it becomes Six Flags or any other county fair. This does NOT apply for Disney. they do not build attractions without a story. Even the old sky way had a story to it. If I remember correctly it was a futuristic transportation from Tomorrowland but in Fantasyland it was a magical "flying" experience transportation.

Buried20KLeague

I would tend to agree. POTC was simply a series of scenes of a bunch of pirates pillaging a seaport.

Haunted Mansion was a series of scenes from a Haunted Mansion. The only story line that I would tend to recognize was that you went into the Mansion, you were told to "try and find a way out", which is what your journey through the Mansion is reflective of. If the orriginal attraction had never had a bride in the attic, the pipe in the concrete would have never been given wedding ring status. Not every attraction needs a theme or a story. Sometimes a roller coaster is justs a roller coaster....

Even that plot description, though, would be fan-based. I get what you're saying... But that wouldn't be the way the imagineers intended you to take what they designed.

That's what I think is so great about the Mansion. In so many cases, the lack of a solid plot would have people like us up in arms and unhappy. But with the Mansion... It just seems to add to it.

I'd suggest everyone look into the book I mentioned... "The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies" by Jason Surrell. It goes into GREAT detail about why there is (currently, anyway) no story line, and it makes great sense.

The whole story of the HM from the beginning is just great. Definitely worth picking up.

head mouse

So your logic is that if its good enough for some cheapo haunted house, its good enough for Walt Disney World? Yeah ...

Classics do need to be updated from time to time. Deal with it. This isn't the first one to do so, and it won't be the last.

No the logic is that you all seem to be hing up on how much the props cost. Classics do not need to be updated, thats why they are classics.

God knows this is not the first or last. learn to read NEW killing OLD.

I haven't spoken in a while, but I feel I must comment.

While, yes, you can find a plot in every ride, on whatever level you wish, altering one of the rides lamest effects that offered no "story" of its own is not a bad thing. Adding elaborate staircases in one place where nothing existed hardly qualifies as damaging the "story", which apparently you follow, even though there is NOT AN OFFICIAL ONE. This change is good, and you sometimes have to go with the flow. They're not putting in Eddie Murphy. I cannot possibly see how you will miss the spiders, they are NOT classic disney, they are simply a place holder for something never built. They are not getting rid of the graveyard or attic, they are filling in something that never exist it. I've never heard the tale of Indy Speedway, have you?

Don't take it to hard.

Champion

Ever see the movie DUMBO????? guess not.

Again I say EVERY ATTRACTION HAS A STORY. The theme is part of that story (they kinda have to go hand in hand). If not it wouldn't be Disney. it would be six flags.

Just because there is the movie Dumbo doesn't mean that Dumbo the Flying Elephant has a story. If that was the case, any attraction based on an existing property would have to have the same story as the property it was based on. For example, the Indiana Jones attractions are separate from the movies. Do those have plots? Yes, but thats regardless of the movies. Dumbo may fly, like in the movie, but doesn't mean the ride has a plot.

No the logic is that you all seem to be hing up on how much the props cost. Classics do not need to be updated, thats why they are classics.

God knows this is not the first or last. learn to read NEW killing OLD.

I never mentioned the cost at any point. I didn't realize it was a big deal. They are taking the attraction, which was basically in a state of disrepair, and updating it to today's standards of a Disney attraction.

New is killing old? By updating attractions? This is news. You can argue it in other things, like they don't spend the same amount on maintainence, but lets see. IASW was updated. Was it ruined? No. POTC was updated. Was it ruined? No.

But did people complain and complain? Oh, you're damn right.

The same amount of crap that you're spewing is going to come in droves when the SSE details start leaking. I'm confident that the changes there will be much more drastic than the HM changes.

WDW is not a museum. If you don't want it to change, then I suggest taking one last trip, taking lots of videos and pictures, and never going again. That way, you can always remember it the way you want it.

DisneyDellsDude

Every attraction has a story? I never heard the tale of TriceraTop Spin!
Can some ye olde story teller on these boards enchant me with this intricate tale? :lookaroun
Actually, Dino-Rama has a pretty impressive storyline. They did think when they put that in. Of coarse, they did think more when they put in Everest...

WDWFigment

well, if WDW is copping DL then the new plot is about a bride that kills her husbands blah blah blah. Go read Doombugies.com people. dang. I am not going to sit here and do the research for you.

Ok, I read Doombugies.com, and I found a lot of information about Extreme Computer Games, but not much about Haunted Mansion. Perhaps you mean Doombuggies.com?

As for the debate, the ride Dumbo definitely does not tell a story. The movie Dumbo does tell a story, but lets not conflate the two. The ride is themed after the attraction, but that doesn't somehow give it a story. Don't over-analyze something simply to suit your needs.

I find it funny that at first you argued that the storyline was being harmed, then when your argument was refuted, you dropped that and contended that a classic was being harmed. How do you know that this is going to be a bad change? Just because something is altered, doesn't mean the "nostalgia" is removed. 90% of the attraction will be the same. Are you contending that it should just remain unchanged forever because each and every scene is fundamental to the attraction's preservation. Don't forget Walt himself wanted the parks to constantly evolve/improve. That was the vision of "Old" Disney. If "New Disney" (as you call it) didn't do that, it would be defying the vision of "Old" Disney. Kind of ironic, but by remaining the old versions of the attractions, Disney would be harming the spirit of Old Disney.

head mouse

Even that plot description, though, would be fan-based. I get what you're saying... But that wouldn't be the way the imagineers intended you to take what they designed.

That's what I think is so great about the Mansion. In so many cases, the lack of a solid plot would have people like us up in arms and unhappy. But with the Mansion... It just seems to add to it.

I'd suggest everyone look into the book I mentioned... "The Haunted Mansion: From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies" by Jason Surrell. It goes into GREAT detail about why there is (currently, anyway) no story line, and it makes great sense.

The whole story of the HM from the beginning is just great. Definitely worth picking up.

You seem hung up on ONE book. there are thousands of books out there about Disney and most counter the others. So ONE book means nothing to me.

One imagineer tells HIS side of things. and if the ORIGINAL intent was to have a plot or not. it developed a plot and it stuck.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Ok, let's not feed the flame war..

Back on topic - cool picture!

stairwayhm.jpg

Buried20KLeague

You seem hung up on ONE book. there are thousands of books out there about Disney and most counter the others. So ONE book means nothing to me.

One imagineer tells HIS side of things. and if the ORIGINAL intent was to have a plot or not. it developed a plot and it stuck.

1. It's the only book BY Disney about the history of the HM explictly. Backed up with facts and pictures from the Disney archives. I tend to take this book as fact. If you'd read it, you'd probably do the same. And it's obvious you haven't.

2. My comment wasn't directed at you. You said you were done with the conversation, and I thought that was a pretty good idea and moved on. I agree to disagree with you. We're not going to change each other's opinions. I choose to continue in the thread with others. :wave:

WDWFigment

No one needs a smart *** around here.

No one needs a "smart ---" but it's somehow acceptable for you to insult other members of the forum simply because you find our opinions "restarted"?

I won't sink to your level and throw a temper tantrum insulting you just because you don't agree with my opinion...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom