Haunted Mansion Bike Ghosts & Splash & Yeti & Everest info

sgtmgd

Actually thats not what Joe Rohde said. Yesterday on Modern Marvels they replayed a Disney Modern Marvels from 2005 and Joe rhode said they had to put the Yeti inside the mountain first because he was so big and then they finished the mountain around him and there is no way he can get in and out. I just saw it yesterday on the History Channel 2. Try and look it up and see it for yourself. Thats what he said.
Exactly..it was a poor engineering solution for the reson we are in now, they cant get to the yeti...that being said..whith the lights fixed you see him fine and I still enjoyed the ride over labor day..

Scuttle

I think good ol' Joe may be splitting hairs a bit.:rolleyes:

The yeti technically isn't situated in the "mountain" part of the structure, but just inside the rear "warehouse" area. He is not surrounded by mountain structure at all. This is always confusing for people. The rockwork doesn't go all the way around.

However, the room where he is located is heavily themed with rockwork. No doubt some of that work had to be completed after the animatronic was installed. Perhaps that is what he was talking about.

As for the TV shows, look on youtube at the Discovery channel show. They clearly show, near the end, the yeti being shipped to AK and installed in the room inside the structure. The room is already filled with rock work while they are installing him. Joe has to be referring to doing some finish work on the indoor rockwork.

Where are the aerials!!!?? The eye in the sky never lies.

Lee

Adventurer
Exactly..it was a poor engineering solution for the reson we are in now, they cant get to the yeti...
Yes, they can.
As has been discussed here for years, the yeti didn't arrive until quite late in the construction process, when the bulk of the construction was finished. He was delivered in a series of large crates which were loaded in via the large doors on the back side of the structure, assembled, and placed into position inside the show area of the ride.
They can get to him fine.
For illustrative purposes...skip to about the 38min point.

Scuttle

Plus it's just common sense! Why build around a million dollar AA moving hundreds of tons of steel. Makes absolutely no sense to build around the most expensive AA ever.

jjharvpro

Thanks for the update! Great to hear about the effects in HM and Splash.

Glad to see some sort of upgrade to Yeti. Any videos or pics??

Victor Kelly

I've been a critic of Disney's lack of maintenance and cost cutting measures, as have a number of others on the board. However, when you stop enjoying the ride and announce that all you are doing is looking for the flaws that crosses over a fine line between concerned and constructive criticism and just plain bashing.

Why would you spend your valuable time at the world and all that money to concentrate on the problems rather than enjoy what it there? Everyone is entitled to spend his/her time the way they want and it appears looking for problems is becoming somewhat of a popular activity, almost like a treasure hunt.

For me, if I see something is wrong, I make a mental note of it, but I do not and will not go in purposely looking for issues.

Very very good point. I prefer to hunt for hidden Mickeys myself. Actually, my wife bought the book and was searching the last few days of our honeymoon. I won't go in the parks to look for the negative. I am there to have fun and enjoy whatever I can.

I don't think the OP is bashing, but relaying his observations. But I see and understand everyone's different POV as well.

wdw71fan

The HM bikes working.... You mean the lighting has been fixed? So many bulbs had gone they'd become pretty much invisible,

Still no proper water in Laughing Place though?

The cycle ghosts had been removed about 3 1/2 weeks ago for refurb, they were replaced Thursday evening during 3rd shift..

As far as Everest, all I can say is keep waiting.. But Rhode is trying to bite of a chunk of the Avatar budget (since it was delayed/in limbo/never happening) and fix the yeti, address issues with infrastructure near dinorama, and build a new attraction in the area next to (huge space) Flights of wonder . (in addition to the removal/move of the train and a new path there to Rafiki's).

Yes, you heard it here first, the Avatar budget is officially being cannibalized at this point.

djlaosc

As far as Everest, all I can say is keep waiting.. But Rhode is trying to bite of a chunk of the Avatar budget (since it was delayed/in limbo/never happening) and fix the yeti, address issues with infrastructure near dinorama, and build a new attraction in the area next to (huge space) Flights of wonder . (in addition to the removal/move of the train and a new path there to Rafiki's).

Yes, you heard it here first, the Avatar budget is officially being cannibalized at this point.

Would this new attracition form the basis of a new land, or would Asia be getting a 5th attraction?

JimboJones123

They COULD fix the Yeti.

They COULD replace the very heavy infrastructure with ultralight materials.

They COULD cut the weight by 80% and have it operational in 1-2 weeks.

The won't. Because it takes effort.

MKCP 1985

As has been discussed here for years, the yeti didn't arrive until quite late in the construction process, when the bulk of the construction was finished. He was delivered in a series of large crates which were loaded in via the large doors on the back side of the structure, assembled, and placed into position inside the show area of the ride.

The VP of Animal Kingdom park should be required to have that video playing on a loop 24/7! Really disappointing to see the gap between the idea and the execution.

Thank you, Lee, for once again debunking the misperception that nothing can be done. There is just an unwillingness at the highest level (read $$$) to make it right.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The cycle ghosts had been removed about 3 1/2 weeks ago for refurb, they were replaced Thursday evening during 3rd shift..
Good to know. They've been more than intentionally almost invisible since at least 2009 now.

And good old Joe. So he isn't totally up his own lift hill then.

Scuttle

Rode the Haunted Mansion today - and yes, for the first time in years - I saw the biking ghosts. Was very cool to see.

They were cool to see. They really add a lot to that side of the graveyard scene and help take your eye off the visible scrim.

We're the tombstone ghost's popping?

RSoxNo1

Very interesting...

hauntdmansion79

Here`s the art. A proper photo from onride is virtually impossible.

View attachment 28143

Not impossible!
Imagineering-Disney_Haunted-Mansion_Ghost-Bikes.jpg

alissafalco

Im here in WDW right now, and as we passed the entrance of Magic Kingdom from the monorail, the letters A&G from the Magic Kingdom sign were not lit up! It looks really bad. We were going too fast so I wasn't able to get a picture.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Yes, they can.

That's a great video, and it got me thinking (what I'm sure many others already realized):
No matter how PO'd the rest of us get around here about the state of the Yeti --it' has to be nothing compared to what every imagineer that worked so hard on putting that masterpiece together and in place must be feeling about the state it's in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom