Hatbox Ghost is Disney World?

MagicHappens1971

Reminds me of the same facial projection tech they used on the Dwarfs..Be Nice if they could re-do this on Buzz's face..
Your 100% right, and I don't think it deters from the look of the attraction. I think in the dwarfs case, you wouldn't notice it if the ones at the end of the ride weren't old. If that makes sense, and yeah they need to do it to Buzz. And maybe Peter Pan?

TP2000

Can you say where? I seem to recall some hatboxes across from the bride, but the doombuggy is really facing more toward the bride at that point, so you wouldn't have a great view of him over there.

During this month's Disneyland refurbishment, they reprogrammed the Omnimover in the attic so the Doombuggies pivot differently to give the Hatbox Ghost a more dramatic reveal, plus they expanded the Attic Scene floor space. They could do the same at WDW.

Omnimovers can be reprogrammed and sets can be expanded and changed.

Californian Elitist

It would have originally been here as another poster said, it was just that the effect didn't work.

I know that, but there's the difference between the two. One was never in MK's, but one was present in DL, had a placement there, and people actually saw him in the ride, even if for just a few days.

That's only a minor thing for me anyway. Uniqueness is my main reason.

MagicHappens1971

I know that, but there's the difference between the two. One was never in MK's, but one was present in DL, had a placement there, and people actually saw him in the ride, even if for just a few days.

I kinda get what your saying, but everyone wants him here in WDW. And you wouldn't be complaining that it's un-unique if it had always been there...

Bairstow

I kinda get what your saying, but everyone wants him here in WDW. And you wouldn't be complaining that it's un-unique if it had always been there...

Yep.
We need to keep in mind that very, very, very few people have enough money to visit both Disney World and Disneyland.
I have a very hard time empathizing with people who can afford to do this and lament the loss of "uniqueness" at one park or the other.
If there's a cool effect that can improve both attractions, it should be installed in both so that more people can enjoy it.

lazyboy97o

Uniqueness for the sake of difference now makes sense, especially in an age of more cloning. Just don't invoke history as why since The Haunted Mansion is the original example of "let's just build the same thing."

MagicHappens1971

Yep.
We need to keep in mind that very, very, very few people have enough money to visit both Disney World and Disneyland.
I have a very hard time empathizing with people who can afford to do this and lament the loss of "uniqueness" at one park or the other.
If there's a cool effect that can improve both attractions, it should be installed in both so that more people can enjoy it.
Oh I've never been to Disneyland, I was disagreeing with the other poster

Californian Elitist

You're right. But it wasn't, which is why I'm making the argument.

I know lots of people want him there, but it doesn't change how I feel. In saying that, it won't be the end of the world if he does make it to Florida. If he does, he does.

TP2000

I'm unfamiliar with the Hatbox ghost having exclusive history at DL. Could someone please fill me in?

1962 - Walt builds Haunted Mansion near Indian Village, plans to make it a walk-thru attraction
1963 - Walt stops work on Haunted Mansion attraction to focus Imagineers on World's Fair pavilions, Mansion sits empty
1965 - Walk-thru becomes ride-thru concept, Walt shows off spooky attraction concepts on TV
1966 - Walt passes away
August 9, 1969 - Haunted Mansion opens at Disneyland, features Hatbox Ghost animatronic in Attic Scene
August 16, 1969 - Disneyland sets daily attendance record of 82,516 visitors
Late August, 1969 - After weeks of technical difficulties, Hatbox Ghost pulled from Attic Scene by WDI
1970 - Hatbox Ghost never re-installed at Disneyland, whereabouts of original animatronic unknown
October 1, 1971 - Magic Kingdom Park at WDW opens with Haunted Mansion, but no Hatbox Ghost animatronic
April 15, 1983 - Tokyo Disneyland opens with Haunted Mansion, but no Hatbox Ghost animatronic
April 12, 1992 - Disneyland Paris opens with Phantom Manor, but no Hatbox Ghost animatronic
Mid 1990's - Internet happens, Disney fans able to obsess in their free time, Hatbox Ghost tale spreads far and wide
2010's - Disney Merchandise Department starts selling Hatbox Ghost merch to fans, profits are padded
May 9, 2015 - New Hatbox Ghost animatronic debuts in Disneyland's Haunted Mansion. Welcome home!
May 10, 2015 - East Coast Disney World fans state their case why they want a Hatbox Ghost too.

Last edited:

seahawk7

Yep.
I agree, and on the same line of thinking DL's Indiana Jones ride should be made at WDW so it can be enjoyed there as well. But that is another thread...

wdwgreek

Yeah, has it EVER been confirmed that the man in the web existed? There is no audio, no WED enterprise mechanical renderings, etc.

Just concept art because that's probably all it was...a concept.
There jury is still out! If he did it was similar to the hatbox ghost situation! I encourage you to read about it here!
http://longforgottenhauntedmansion.blogspot.com/2014/09/on-web.html

"Webster either was or was not in the WDW Mansion when it opened. If he was, he was quickly removed, leaving behind no photos, and if he was not, he almost was. Sources disagree over whether he was ever seen by guests, or even whether he was installed. Some say he was canceled (or removed) because he was too scary.That description, down to the last detail, could have been applied to the Disneyland Hatbox Ghost prior to 1999."

Check out the schematics for the ride, he was almost certainly planned!

George Lucas on a Bench

Cool, so it is in MK's Mansion? I didn't know that, thanks for correcting me!

Well, they're totally different. WDW's piano is at the beginning of the ride right before the staircase (which was previously nearly identical to the one at the start of the DL version as far as I can tell, the major difference being it wasn't next to the DL misty limbo (which is amazing) and it featured big spider webs/spiders. The WDW piano ghost shadow is cast on the floor, and it is a far more basic effect, but completely charming and awesome. It's an opening day effect that I'm fairly certain has never been altered. As we know, DL's is in the attic, it's more rundown and it has a neat top hat-clad shadow man actually playing the bridal march that is now in both versions of the attic.

TP2000

Is the hatbox ghost getting a role in the haunted mansion story? It still seems a bit awkward that hes just there :/

There's no story to that ride. All the ghosts are just there. Why is the guy playing the organ? Why is the lady at the banquet table celebrating a birthday? And how rude that all those dancers won't stop dancing for just a second while she blows out her candles. Why are the ghosts in the graveyard having tea so late at night? And what's that opera singer going on about?

It's just a ride full of random sight gags. There's no plot. The Hatbox Ghost is back and he looks fantastic. Now watch your step and exit to your left.

Last edited:

orlando678-

There's no story to that ride. All the ghosts are just there. Why is the guy playing the organ? Why is the lady at the banquet table celebrating a birthday? Why are the ghosts in the graveyard having tea so late at night? And what's that opera singer going on about?

It's just a ride full of random sight gags. There's no plot. The Hatbox Ghost is back and he looks fantastic. Now watch your step as you exit to your left.

I disagree here. Im sure there is a storyline and I hope that maybe the hatbox ghost will strengthen or make the story clear to the guests

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom