Hatbox Ghost is Disney World?

George Lucas on a Bench

Well, the "Sinster 11" were removed and I'm not sure if all have been relocated/can even be seen. In any case, that's a change I did not like. They no longer have eyes following you and a unique scene from WDW's version was replaced with a small ride-thru version of DL's amazing changing portrait hallway that you actually traverse on foot there. That's my favorite part of Haunted and it's exclusive to DL. Lingering in that corridor is the coolest thing ever in a Disney park.

As far as the hangman in the stretching room goes, I noticed that WDW shortened the amount of time you see him considerably, which I didn't like. DL takes the old-school approach and you get a fairly good look at him before the lights go out.

mouse_luv

Have you seen the Phantom AA At Phantom Manor at DLP? He's pretty Nightmareish..Considering he's trying to stuff your body into a coffin as your trying to escape from Phantom Canyon while the haunting pshyco laughter of Vincent Price keeps going on....and on....and On.....
canyon6.jpg~original
Yes, I have since Phantom Manor is my favorite version of HM and I feel in so many ways is so much better done than others (even though WDW HM is my sentimental favorite for reasons). It makes no sense whatsoever why you would even bring PM into this discussion when PM and Europe as a whole are another whole different animal within itself. Things are allowed to be and accepted when macabre in Europe. Unlike "sensitive to macabre" people here in the States. So this is completely irrelevant for the discussion going on.

180º

There's no problem with the stretching room, and yes I know theres a hanging at the end. Whooptido, and how about you figure things out around here with your lack of posts before you come at people. I never said that "I" had a problem with things being too scary. I said PEOPLE complained to Disney and they removed said Spider room, which for the record I had no problem with myself. Go run off and bother someone else now.
Sorry to bother you.

mouse_luv

Sorry to bother you.
You weren't bothering me. But what I'm saying is don't come on and try to prove an irrelevant point to someone that A)wasn't even talking about that and B) Didn't complain about things themselves, but stated that others did.
Also for the record, don't tell someone that knows the HM and has in their sig not to do something etc because you think it proves your point.
Now let's shake hands and move on from this.

mouse_luv

You're in agreement that while you have "not yet discovered tangible proof of this claim, there are witnesses to the spectacle"???
(Unlike you, apparently, I did check DoomBuggies before posting).

I never said I have not yet discovered tangible proof, Doombuggies has stated that, which either you are lying out your bleep about actually reading, you like misquoting people, or you have a serious problem with reading comprehension. It seems like all three are viable here.

I have no arguments against this claim as I haven't heard either way. I do polite ask for a source detailing the reasoning that room changed. I couldn't find it from a cursory search at DoomBuggies.

Look it up. It's in more than one place. Also, I would advise against coming on here and asking everyone for "proof" of things they know because they know them. Have fun asking a well known source poster here for "PROOF" that they can't give you a source for because they are in insider etc.

With little / no evidence on how the effect really was, or how it could be portrayed today, your 'guess' doesn't carry much weight. I could call oh so many of the 999 happy haunts 'mutilated' myself, by the way.

There is proof out there of what he looked like and that he was "MUTILATED" and the large spider was not far from him, which incites to anyone with a working brain that it was meant to portray that the man in the web (which no one knows existed) was "mutilated by the spider.

From DOOMBUGGIES:
The screaming man in the spider's web: Did he ever exist?
Early in the days of the Haunted Mansion, rumor has it that there was a scene somewhere near the loading area at Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion that showed a man trapped in a giant spider's web. While DoomBuggies.com has not yet discovered tangible proof of this claim, there are witnesses to the spectacle. Magic Kingdom Haunted Mansi0n Cast Member Shawn Potts delivers this account: "Long ago when the Magic Kindgom first opened, there was a man trapped in the spider web to the right of the Doom Buggy path, near the Grand Staircase. However, it was felt that this effect was too scary, which was probably due mostly to the fact that there was a hideous screaming sound that accompanied the effect. The man's figure was stashed under an Omnimover motor in the graveyard, and was often used to scare maintenance men. By the way... scaring each other was a very common pasttime for Cast Members at the Haunted Mansion..."

However, another second-hand account of the man in the web offers slightly different details. According to DoomBuggies forum member "RobotWolf," the man in the web "did indeed make it to the grounds at WDW, but according to my trainer he was never installed. He was still there when I worked there - circa '86, stashed in one of the concrete pits beneath an Omnimover motor. A neat bit of trivia to be sure. But I, personally, am glad that he was never used... wrong type of gag for a Disney attraction."

It should be noted that official records which document each sound effect utilized in the Mansion do not mention the scream of the man in the web, although there is some evidence on certain schematics that such a prop did exist.

At the bottom of this page(since you have such a hard time finding things: http://www.doombuggies.com/secrets_library.php

Now who's twisting words. I've never been on DL's HM. I simply respect uniqueness instead of a worldwide Disney Parks type homogenization.

Not I. You were the one coming on here initially portraying yourself as pro DL HM and how much better it is than the WDW HM version and thats why it doesn't deserve Hattie.

**hits ignore**

The same could have been said for the hatbox ghost had he not been so integral in the marketing, and behind the scenes of the original mansion.

#bringbackmanintheweb

Problem was there were people that actually had legit proof that HBG actually existed at one point in one shape or form, unlike Man in the Web.

George Lucas on a Bench

But when it comes to WDW, HBG never made it in, but was supposedly planned, possibly built. We don't know for sure with that one. The same came can be said for the Man in Web, who might also have been built, but never installed, or possibly installed very briefly. The thing is, we have no real proof that WDW's HBG was built either, only claims on the internet that everything for both Mansions was built at the same time. Old schematics for the WDW HM have the Man in Web in the staircase scene. It's a different situation than DL's HBG, but pretty much equivalent to WDW's HBG, which may or may not have ever existed. We really don't know when it comes to WDW.

Cmdr_Crimson

Yes, I have since Phantom Manor is my favorite version of HM and I feel in so many ways is so much better done than others (even though WDW HM is my sentimental favorite for reasons). It makes no sense whatsoever why you would even bring PM into this discussion when PM and Europe as a whole are another whole different animal within itself. Things are allowed to be and accepted when macabre in Europe. Unlike "sensitive to macabre" people here in the States. So this is completely irrelevant for the discussion going on.

Whatever...Your entitled to your opinion..:)

Castle Cake Apologist

There's no legit proof that he ever existed. (And if he did he was at a loading dock) Also, the story behind him/the prop would be considered too scary for a Disney attraction. They removed the spider web room for this same reason. So give up on that.

Yeah. I'm pretty sure that the giant day-glo spiders were removed because they looked really stupid. Not because they were "too scary." They weren't scary at all. They were clearly plastic and barely quivered with the web, but had no motion otherwise. Not convincing at all. Either way, the endless staircase room is a vast improvement. I was among the first people (like 2nd or 3rd group allowed in) to experience the refreshed Mansion when it reopened during early morning Cast previews, and this is also the general consensus that I received from the Imagineers milling about. The spiders were dumb, so they got the axe.

On topic, I would have absolutely no problem with Hattie making his way East. As others have pointed out, he was intended to be installed at our Mansion as well... the effect just never played out correctly so he never was. Now that modern technology has made him possible, why shouldn't he be installed here as well?

mouse_luv

Yeah. I'm pretty sure that the giant day-glo spiders were removed because they looked really stupid. Not because they were "too scary." They weren't scary at all. They were clearly plastic and barely quivered with the web, but had no motion otherwise. Not convincing at all. Either way, the endless staircase room is a vast improvement.

Tell that to the real Disney experts that have stated the reason for it was guest complaints about the "scariness."

I for one, had no problem with it and don't understand half of the reason for guests saying something is "scary" when it is not. But **shrug**

Castle Cake Apologist

Tell that to the real Disney experts that have stated the reason for it was guest complaints about the "scariness."

I for one, had no problem with it and don't understand half of the reason for guests saying something is "scary" when it is not. But **shrug**

You're right. Fansites definitely know more than the people who oversaw the refurbishment. How could my (and apparently the Imagineers') memories be so foggy that I somehow remember the cheap spiders as stupid instead of terrifying, which they obviously were because a website says so. You really are a difficult person, aren't you?

lazyboy97o

But when it comes to WDW, HBG never made it in, but was supposedly planned, possibly built. We don't know for sure with that one. The same came can be said for the Man in Web, who might also have been built, but never installed, or possibly installed very briefly. The thing is, we have no real proof that WDW's HBG was built either, only claims on the internet that everything for both Mansions was built at the same time. Old schematics for the WDW HM have the Man in Web in the staircase scene. It's a different situation than DL's HBG, but pretty much equivalent to WDW's HBG, which may or may not have ever existed. We really don't know when it comes to WDW.
Why would one figure, used in promotional materials, not be duplicated? The ride elements being built in duplicate is not wild speculation. That is widely know. Even the elevators were originally to be duplicated. What is stretching credulity is the very new idea that the Hatbox Ghost was intended as a Disneyland exclusive.

Castle Cake Apologist

Why would one figure, used in promotional materials, not be duplicated? The ride elements being built in duplicate is not wild speculation. What is stretching credulity is the very new idea that the Hatbox Ghost was intended as a Disneyland exclusive.

I can never wrap my head around why people think that. Clearly two Hatbox Ghosts were produced during the development of Disneyland's Mansion. Every single figure installed in their Mansion at opening was produced in duplicate in anticipation of WDW's construction. This is no secret whatsoever. The effect didn't work at all, so he was scrapped at Disneyland within weeks of opening and was never installed at WDW two years later. I'm with you that it makes no sense that people seem unable to grasp that concept.

Californian Elitist

For all those Disneyland fans who say there shouldn't be a Hatbox at MK, why?

I like unique things about the parks, simple as that. I'm not exactly sure, but I believe the only part of DL's Mansion that isn't in MK's is the piano-playing ghost (someone correct me if I'm wrong). MK has the unique staircase scene that isn't present in DL's. The fact that it was actually in Disneyland's Mansion and not Magic Kingdom's (I know there were plans to put him in Florida, but he was never actually seen there) contributes to my opinion as well.

As I said, I like unique things about the parks, especially the American parks. I like that there are things in Florida that one can't experience in California (like EPCOT... I'm glad WestCOT was never built) and vice versa.

seahawk7

I grew up going to DL and have been going to WDW as an adult. While I do appreciate the uniqueness inherent to each park, I would like to see the Hatbox ghost at WDW 's Haunted Mansion because he is part of the Haunted Mansion story. Despite being housed in two different mansions: DL the plantation and WDW the upstate east coast Mansion, they share the same story right?

mousehockey37

I like unique things about the parks, simple as that. I'm not exactly sure, but I believe the only part of DL's Mansion that isn't in MK's is the piano-playing ghost (someone correct me if I'm wrong). MK has the unique staircase scene that isn't present in DL's.

That's my one of my favorite parts of the ride in WDW... watching the ghost play the piano!!! As well as I love the organ in the ballroom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom