Hatbox Ghost is Disney World?

George Lucas on a Bench

Homogenization = bad. Where does it stop? Do you want Tarzan's Treehouse at WDW instead of Swiss Family Robinson? Probably not. Shoehorning elements created for the DL movie version of POTC into the WDW version actually ruined the ending there, replacing a unique scene featuring a bunch of AAs with the Jack Sparrow ending from the waterfall at the end of DL's. Not good! But that's playing devil's advocate. They shouldn't be limited to designing things to work in both resorts AKA Disney Parks.

I'm not saying they shouldn't replicate Hatbox Ghost 2.0 in the Magic Kingdom version. I fully expect them to, likely they're just premiering him at DL because it actually makes sense, given that the character was there and ONLY there. Ironically, I think given the style of the CGI face, which is along the lines of the WDW CGI Hitchhiking Ghosts, he'd actually fit in better at the MK version of Haunted.

Sped2424

tumblr_no5ctxtOem1s0c4z4o1_500.gif

tumblr_no5ctxtOem1s0c4z4o2_500.gif

I made gifs for peeps enjoyment.

DDLand

Homogenization = bad. Where does it stop? Do you want Tarzan's Treehouse at WDW instead of Swiss Family Robinson? Probably not. Shoehorning elements created for the DL movie version of POTC into the WDW version actually ruined the ending there, replacing a unique scene featuring a bunch of AAs with the Jack Sparrow ending from the waterfall at the end of DL's. Not good! But that's playing devil's advocate. They shouldn't be limited to designing things to work in both resorts AKA Disney Parks.

I'm not saying they shouldn't replicate Hatbox Ghost 2.0 in the Magic Kingdom version. I fully expect them to, likely they're just premiering him at DL because it actually makes sense, given that the character was there and ONLY there. Ironically, I think given the style of the CGI face, which is along the lines of the WDW CGI Hitchhiking Ghosts, he'd actually fit in better at the MK version of Haunted.
That's fear mongering plain and simple. Let's talk about all the things we don't like about Disneyland and Walt Disney World and use them as examples of things we should bring over? Why?

How about a legitimate Kali River Rapids along the lines of Grizzly River Run, Peoplemover back to Disneyland, and RSRs in WDW?

Don't confuse me. I believe those two Resorts are different. Something may work in place, and another stick out like a sore thumb in another. That has to do with Resort location, themeing environment, and of course local audience. They're different. They both have their unique charms and are both worth visiting. However, when I see something that will obviously (and relatively cheaply) enhance an area or attraction and will benefit millions I have a hard time putting my hand up and saying stop. Especially when the only road block is uniqueness. Seems kind of silly.

Edit:Re read and saw Devil's advocate.

Californian Elitist

Alright, but I just don't understand the benefit. It's the same thing with those who say Cars Land should remain exclusive to Disneyland. Why? I can never understand the rationale...

I can't understand why people want the same things in all the parks. WDW deserves something different.

Here's to hoping Cars Land doesn't make it to Florida as well.

George Lucas on a Bench

Maybe Disney figures RSR would be too much of a headache to run in WDW's climate, where you get monsoons every day? Think about this logically! It's a huge investment. At DL it works, because it hardly ever rains.

DDLand

Just a light rain in your face at 60 mph is not a pleasant experience.
I would say that I saw the outdoor portion of the RSRs rockwork already having...rockwork erosion? Paint was wearing away, and I could see into the exposed mesh underneath. Rain could make the issue worse in Florida, of course Big Thunder kind of makes that a moot point.

lazyboy97o

I would say that I saw the outdoor portion of the RSRs rockwork already having...rockwork erosion? Paint was wearing away, and I could see into the exposed mesh underneath. Rain could make the issue worse in Florida, of course Big Thunder kind of makes that a moot point.
If there are parts of the rock work at Radiator Springs Racers falling off then that is more likely a result of something going wrong with the concrete, something like a poor mixing.

TP2000

I would say that I saw the outdoor portion of the RSRs rockwork already having...rockwork erosion? Paint was wearing away, and I could see into the exposed mesh underneath.

Seriously? Where on the rockwork was this? You weren't just seeing the purposeful staining and aging and water streaks they gave the rockwork back in 2012, were you? It looks pretty gnarly in spots, because it's supposed to because it's been in the desert for a few hundred thousand years.

Like this type of Imagineered distressing and staining on the underside of this ledge?
Cars-Land-Rock-Work.jpg

lazyboy97o

Seriously? Where on the rockwork was this? You weren't just seeing the purposeful staining and aging and water streaks they gave the rockwork back in 2012, were you? It looks pretty gnarly in spots, because it's supposed to because it's been in the desert for a few hundred thousand years.

Like this type of Imagineered distressing and staining on the underside of this ledge?
Cars-Land-Rock-Work.jpg
Seeing the underlying mesh would not be a deliberate design decision.

DDLand

Cars-Land-Rock-Work.jpg
I found it in the area as you're entering the main cave in the line. They've probably patched it up by now as it was pretty obvious. From what I could seen it appeared to be full on mesh in view. Each time I see a picture I'm shocked by how awesome it looks.

TP2000

But I actually thought the ride was getting a story after Constance was added, sorry if I'm wrong. I have to get used to two creepy audio animatronics in the attic.

Lots of folks think there's a story there, it's not just you. The fake story of "Master Gracey" and all that nonsense really got rolling in the late 1990's when Florida college kids working at Magic Kingdom started getting dependable Internet access and made up stuff online.

seahawk7

I can't understand why people want the same things in all the parks. WDW deserves something different.

Here's to hoping Cars Land doesn't make it to Florida as well.
I'm curious, do you go to WDW? I know you go to DL regularly but do you go to WDW?

TP2000

Wait does this now mean that we have a 1000 ghosts in the mansion, but there is room for a 1001?

The real total is 124 ghosts in Disneyland's version. Likely close to that for WDW's version, give or take a few.

Here's a post I wrote last night in the Disneyland forum counting the ghosts...

The 999 figure was cooked up by the Marketing Department in 1969, and it has never been close to accurate in Anaheim, or any of the Haunted Mansion clones around the world. It's actually far, far less.

I rode three times today (I was in full Disney Nerd mode, then I came home and had some Scotch and shook it off). But I counted.

There are currently only 124 ghosts in Disneyland's Haunted Mansion.

Audio-Animatronic Ghosts = 41 (These are physical figures that move, from the hanging ghost in both stretching rooms, to the moving Knight Armor in the Endless Hallway, to the arms struggling with the coffin lid, to all the moving figures in the Graveyard Scene, to the three hitchhiking animatronics, plus the new Hatbox Ghost animatronic. I also included the four ravens with glowing eyes, which represent the narrator)

Special Effect Ghosts = 34 (These are special effects or moving props that imply a ghost is present, from the moving busts in the queue, to the floating candelabra, to each door knocker, to each sound-and-repeat effect in the Séance Circle, to each husband with a disappearing head in the Attic, to each Pop-Up or moving gravestone in the Graveyard)

Projection Effect Ghosts = 48 (These are projections or reflections, from Madame Leota, to all 31 "holographic" projections in the Ballroom, to the 5 hitchhikers in the mirrors at the very end, and also Little Leota on the speedramp out the exit)

Narration Ghost = 1 (Our Ghost Host who narrates the attraction.)

Non-Ghosts = 2 (The caretaker and his animatronic dog in the graveyard)

I suppose if you counted every flying ghost that appears on the scrim screen as you exit the Attic, you might be able to add a couple dozen ghosts to the 124 tally. Let's be super gracious and say there are 76 flying ghosts on the scrims, even though the actual total is three dozen at most. But let's just say there's 76. That would get us to 200 ghosts in Disneyland's Haunted Mansion. But don't tell the Marketing Department that, they'll be mad.

raven

HB Ghost is an original to DL. Unless they plan on using that character in the new movie version (that's been reportedly in the works for years) I don't see the need to add him to the attic as it doesn't really make sense there now. All of the other ghosts and apparitions are images of real humans. HB Ghost is a skeletal character.

No one has mentioned the missing howling dog effect outside of the mansion. The speaker was behind some trees on a hill behind the old gravestones but was removed after the queue renovation. It used to attract attention to HM from clear across the river. Sad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom