News Hatbox Ghost coming to Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This might be a good time to share my article on the history of the attic scene.
Great article!

I noticed in the history there was no mention of the 'story' that Constance throws the guests through the attic window and we die and that's why we're in the graveyard.

I presume because that's fanfiction and not part of the Imagineers' canon.

Scuttle

Great article!

I noticed in the history there was no mention of the 'story' that Constance throws the guests through the attic window and we die and that's why we're in the graveyard.

That was one of best write ups I’ve ever read about the Haunted Mansion, Jim Korkis (RIP) level of detailed information.

TheMaxRebo

I'm just happy someone listened to my terrible advice.

And the new movie provides an explanation that that HBG can be different than others, and he may have been materialized before Leota was ever involved. Strictly sticking to a questionable canon to force in a crowded post Leota scene would be a mess.

Even before he was a bit different when the story that he leaves the mansion and visits the other mansions around the world, etc

Doesn't mean this position is/will be great (I am taking a wait and see approach to he final product and storyline behind it they share) but for any ghost to "not follow the rules" he is definitely the one

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
There's a difference between an attraction having a strict linear story and an attraction having story beats and a logical narrative structure that carry it along,
Do you know what we call 'story beats' that have a 'logical narrative structure that carry it along'?

A story.

And if that narrative/story is 'logical and carries it along' with a direction... that's the definition of a *linear* story.

Story beats happen within a story. If they're disconnected from one another, they're just beats with no story. Just simple vignettes or tableaus. Calling them "story beats" implies a story structure in which each beat beats. But there is no story structure to the HM.

Just like portraits and paintings in a museum. Each portrait may tell a story within the portrait, but there is often no relation to the other portraits such that it forms a 'story.'

The history of the creation of the HM makes it very clear that there was little attempt to create "story beats" that told a continuing narrative. (Actually, some may have tried to tell an overarching story, but the other cooks kept fighting one another's story until there was none.) The Ghost Host attempts to assemble such a story to the unrelated scenes, with varying degrees of success (and now, you can see ghosts... in addition to Leota which you've already seen!!) Later imagineers may have attempted to add a story. Many fans have tried to create fanfiction stories to create such a story.

There is indeed a ramping up of the ride's gags that culminate... twice! Once in the ballroom scene and again in the graveyard.

It's like a coaster with several hills. But one hill doesn't necessarily follow from the previous hill. It could have just been a corkscrew instead and not changed the coaster's "story."

But in the end, each element is mostly a standalone vignette with no overall story. That's the way it was made -- by committee.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Howabout a half-sized Hatbox Ghost halfway down the endless hallway so it seems he's at a distance?

The ghost are getting closer to you as you progress.

HMF

That was one of best write ups I’ve ever read about the Haunted Mansion, Jim Korkis (RIP) level of detailed information.
Glad you enjoyed it. I have another one coming soon about unnecessary changes to the WDW Mansion. I also don't buy the excuse that they are structurally unable to place him after the attic and if that is true just don't add him.

HMF

Great article!

Yeah, I don't buy that theory.

Bocabear

Glad you enjoyed it. I have another one coming soon about unnecessary changes to the WDW Mansion. I also don't buy the excuse that they are structurally unable to place him after the attic and if that is true just don't add him.
I have never loved the Constance addition... she looks too much like a TV set left on in a dark room...lol I prefer the more romantic version of a jilted bride waiting for her love in the attic... Like Disneyland Paris. I would not mind Constance going away in favor of the Hatbox ghost....Or create a narrative between Constance and the Hatbox Ghost...

Haymarket2008

I was thinking the same thing. The attic hatbox is too close in my opinion. As long as he doesn’t distract from the corridor I don’t see how this is a big negative.

Now if you see the hatbox ghost before the corridor and he distracts…. Maybe I won’t like it as much. I’ll have to see him in person.

Either way I’ll try not to lose my head!!!! :p

More than the incorrect placement, I’m bothered by the figure stealing focus from an already brilliantly staged scene. The hallway seems to be turning into a secondary visual when it’s absolutely the star of that scene. Not anymore…

Bocabear

More than the incorrect placement, I’m bothered by the figure stealing focus from an already brilliantly staged scene. The hallway seems to be turning into a secondary visual when it’s absolutely the star of that scene. Not anymore…
I would agree with that...the tone of that scene is what makes it work... The music room, Library and hallway scene always played nicely together....slowly ramping up and getting more crazy... This puts a crazy bomb right in the middle of the ramp-up...but I guess the Escher staircase hall sort of does that too. I wish the candelabras in the staircase hall were not so cool-white LED looking and had a more natural flame look....

celluloid

I'm just happy someone listened to my terrible advice.

And the new movie provides an explanation that that HBG can be different than others, and he may have been materialized before Leota was ever involved. Strictly sticking to a questionable canon to force in a crowded post Leota scene would be a mess.

I don't think they should alter the Haunted Mansion's design and reveal pacing that has worked well to charm and enamour audiences for nearly 70 years to the choice the based on a movie that will have less appreciation than The Haunted Mansion will have enamoured in a season.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
How about if it doesn’t fit into the story line then leave the hatbox ghost out of the damn ride.

They need to be careful. Shareholders are already suing. Disney is in some trouble. Comcast is dumping money into an undoubtedly incredible park that is seriously going to steal market share from them in Orlando. Time for them to listen to fans and do great things again. That’s what universal is doing.

This would be the perfect opportunity to listen to fans. That’s the least they can do after axing Splash.

Shareholders are suing about the hatbox ghost? wow

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I don't think they should alter the Haunted Mansion's design and reveal pacing that has worked well to charm and enamour audiences for nearly 70 years to the choice the based on a movie that will have less appreciation than The Haunted Mansion will have enamoured in a season.
I don't think it's *because* of the movie as much as the movie is another example is HBG not being bound to the a silly "rule" that may not even be a real rule. If any other ghost other than HBG than maybe I'd feel similar. I agree that its a charming ride, I just don't see a mistake.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
We all know there's only one reason they are adding Hatbox Ghost...

1690822684632.png

To Disney, the placement is irrelevant, he just needs to be in there somewhere...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom