News Hatbox Ghost coming to Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
We obviously care about, and think about, these things more than the people whose jobs it is to do so. If they don’t care, why should we?
Um, because they're getting paid for their mediocrity, while we are paying thru the nose for it.

TrainsOfDisney

I think it's a shame that what was once the dark-heart of the ride now plays host to no spooky characters.
Interesting. That part of the ride always felt the most like a carnival fun house to me before the re-do. The little pop-ups on sticks and that green glowing bride just felt very old school dark ride. The current attic scene is so much better in my opinion.

Castle Cake Apologist

Interesting letter from Imagineering indicating that Walt didn't want an explicit storyline for HM, but rather a "series of experiences and situations"

There's a difference between an attraction having a strict linear story and an attraction having story beats and a logical narrative structure that carry it along, and classic attractions frequently have the latter without the former. I can't see how anybody could possibly argue that HM doesn't have story beats. Every attraction without an actual story (Pirates, Mansion, etc.) has story beats.

The narration explicitly states that the ghosts are beginning to materialize after we leave the séance room because they were having trouble getting through without Leota. We also don't see a single physical ghost until then. The ride doesn't have a story, per se, but it certainly has specific things that happen at specific times within its established logic.

Walt was also long dead before the attraction opened, very little of what was built would have been finalized when he said that. No attraction has gone through more revisions before opening than the Mansion.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

To me, the importance of the original attic was that it was an intentionally "scary" scene.

For most of the ride up to that point, you're made to feel that the ghosts are out to get you. You're being watched, you could get lost or trapped in the house, etc. The ghosts in the great hall suggest that maybe they just want to have some fun, letting you believe that you can slip by unnoticed.

Then in the attic we come the closest to the ghosts we've ever been and the sense of danger increases tenfold. We escape, only to be surrounded by even more of them. It's their idea of fun to frighten us like that by surprising us and getting close ("don't close your eyes / don't try to hide / silly spook will sit by your side / they pretend to terrorize / come out to socialize" it's all in the song).

This back-and-forth continues until the end of the ride when we are told as we leave that they will follow us home anyway. Jokes on us.

The current attic is a story with no set up and who's ending is revealed in one scene. At no other point in the ride is Constance referenced or relevant to what we're looking at. It's a backstory for the sake of having a backstory for what was always simply a spooky figure. Ignoring the technical execution it's fine for what it is, but it still feels separated and unimportant from the rest of the experience. There's no mystery because everything is told upfront and there's no reason to care about the fate of her victims or how it relates to us. Phantom Manor is different because the whole thing is about the Bride and we see her from the Foyer onward. Nothing else about current HM suggests Constance is anyone of interest or someone we should care about.

HMF

The current attic is a story with no set up and who's ending is revealed in one scene. At no other point in the ride is Constance referenced or relevant to what we're looking at. It's a backstory for the sake of having a backstory for what was always simply a spooky figure. Ignoring the technical execution it's fine for what it is, but it still feels separated and unimportant from the rest of the experience. There's no mystery because everything is told upfront and there's no reason to care about the fate of her victims or how it relates to us. Phantom Manor is different because the whole thing is about the Bride and we see her from the Foyer onward. Nothing else about current HM suggests Constance is anyone of interest or someone we should care about.
This might be a good time to share my article on the history of the attic scene.

CraftyFox

Of course, any updates will have to incorporate Diversity, Inclusion and Equity -- or, as it's known in the Haunted Mansion, DIE...
Hey, one of Connie’s husbands is a Chinese according to the wedding certificate. She’s colorblind when it comes to murder!

Nywayssss. One of the reservations I have for the new placement of the Hatbox Ghost is just how close he’s going to be to the Doombuggies this early into the ride. Unless they place him in the actual hallway itself, the figure is going to be right there in your face. Part of what makes the attic effective IMHO is that the bride is a full body apparition right in front of you. It’s menacing! Before this point in the ride, the ghosts are either disembodied (Ghost Host), locked away (Corridor of Doors), or distant (ballroom). It serves as a good finale to the more frightening sections of the mansion and acts as a natural culmination of the ghosts’ arc from unseen to fully present. Placing the Hatbox ghost so early in the ride and so close to the vehicle disrupts that.

Last edited:

WorldExplorer

I like the endless hallway. It's relatively low-key, compared to stuff like the corpse yelling and trying to push its way out of a coffin. It's nice having variety.

If we're talking about "series of experiences", a cartoonishly grinning, full bodied gimmick ghost right there next to it but lacking any actual connection to it is definitely going to mess with that room's experience.

(I also like the chair. Something about it being there despite not being part of any scares helps with the feel of it being a house.)

CraftyFox

I believe this has been brought up earlier in the thread, but the more that comes out from insiders, the more it seems this placement was really the only option without making some serious infrastructure changes that would cost a pretty penny. I was previously under the assumption the area outside the attic was identical in both mansions but apparently not (at least structurally). From what I've heard, other spots (like the end of the ballroom before the attic) were considered but ultimately deemed unfeasible for one reason or another. It looks like the team is aware this is a radical choice.

Haymarket2008

Hey, one of Connie’s husbands is a Chinese according to the wedding certificate. She’s colorblind when it comes to murder!

Nywayssss. One of the reservations I have for the new placement of the Hatbox Ghost is just how close he’s going to be to the Doombuggies. Unless they place him in the actual hallway itself, the figure is going to be right there in your face. Part of what makes the attic effective IMHO is that the bride is a full body apparition right in front of you. It’s menacing! Before this point in the ride, the ghosts are either disembodied (Ghost Host), locked away (Corridor of Doors), or distant (ballroom). It serves as a good finale to the more frightening sections of the mansion and acts as a natural culmination of the ghosts’ arc from unseen to fully present. Placing the Hatbox ghost so early in the ride and so close to the vehicle disrupts that.

The proximity of the Hatbox Ghost to the doombuggies in the attic scene is EXTREMELY close. I’d imagine the placement near the hallway will be just as close if not further away.

TrainsOfDisney

The proximity of the Hatbox Ghost to the doombuggies in the attic scene is EXTREMELY close. I’d imagine the placement near the hallway will be just as close if not further away.
I was thinking the same thing. The attic hatbox is too close in my opinion. As long as he doesn’t distract from the corridor I don’t see how this is a big negative.

Now if you see the hatbox ghost before the corridor and he distracts…. Maybe I won’t like it as much. I’ll have to see him in person.

Either way I’ll try not to lose my head!!!! :p

yensidtlaw1969

I believe this has been brought up earlier in the thread, but the more that comes out from insiders, the more it seems this placement was really the only option without making some serious infrastructure changes that would cost a pretty penny. I was previously under the assumption the area outside the attic was identical in both mansions but apparently not (at least structurally). From what I've heard, other spots (like the end of the ballroom before the attic) were considered but ultimately deemed unfeasible for one reason or another. It looks like the team is aware this is a radical choice.
There isn't enough room for him at the end of the Ballroom balcony - and the walls can't be moved in that space unless you're willing to lose another effect.

He was considered to go down in the Ballroom while he was being redeveloped before his 2015 Disneyland install, but the effect they put together was considered too good to waste on such a distant spot. He's an impressive close-up magic trick, and those are not easy to come by.

Scuttle

How about if it doesn’t fit into the story line then leave the hatbox ghost out of the damn ride.

They need to be careful. Shareholders are already suing. Disney is in some trouble. Comcast is dumping money into an undoubtedly incredible park that is seriously going to steal market share from them in Orlando. Time for them to listen to fans and do great things again. That’s what universal is doing.

This would be the perfect opportunity to listen to fans. That’s the least they can do after axing Splash.

Last edited:

JustInTime

I have heard this but would like to know or read more!
How about if it doesn’t fit into the story line then leave the hatbox ghost out of the damn ride.

They really need to be careful. Disney is in serious trouble. Comcast is dumping money into an undoubtedly incredible park that is seriously going to steal market share from them in Orlando. Disney just doesn’t get it. Time for them to listen to fans and do great things again. That’s what universal is doing.

This would be the perfect opportunity to listen to fans. That’s the least they can do after axing Splash despite a hundred thousand votes on change.org
Nobody takes change.org seriously. Especially not one with only a few hundred thousand votes. Disney will be fine.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
I'm just happy someone listened to my terrible advice.

Personally, I don't think any Leota rule works very well so I'm now more inclined to include before Leota. While I thought attic before it may be too cluttered. Hearing the ghost bride before seeing her I think works well, and I think essentially sharing audio time with HBG is too much, plus if they are are across from one another it forces choosing whom to direct attention. So before Leota, maybe put in HBG where the knight's armor is located. It's a revealing effect to turn toward the long hallway, but it’s currently not revealing very much. Hearing HBG and then having the buggie turn to face him close would be a better effect, imo, if there's another time for full visual before buggie turns again.
And the new movie provides an explanation that that HBG can be different than others, and he may have been materialized before Leota was ever involved. Strictly sticking to a questionable canon to force in a crowded post Leota scene would be a mess.

Last edited:

Scuttle

I have heard this but would like to know or read more!

Nobody takes change.org seriously. Especially not one with only a few hundred thousand votes. Disney will be fine.
Keep thinking that. Everything they touch is a disaster now. I don’t know if it’s the go woke go broke deal but something happened. Universal is eating their lunch.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom