News Hatbox Ghost coming to Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion

yensidtlaw1969

Is there also an issue of scope? I thought the hallway had something a forced perspective effect. If they throw an AA in there, won’t that affect the effect?
Believe it or not, there's no forced perspective in the Endless Hallway. It's just very long - it runs almost back behind the Library scene. And then

there's a full length mirror at that end of the hall, making it look twice as long as it actually is.

That said, I wouldn't expect him down in the Hall itself. More like just outside, around where the Donald Duck chair is now.

TheMaxRebo

I know it has been mentioned in here about the new movie only have a 40% approval rating, but that is the critics take, the audience score is 85% and that jives with what I have heard from friends who saw it and said it was really enjoyable and had a ton of Easter Eggs/nods to the attraction, etc.

1690727441294.png

WaltsTreasureChest

I know it has been mentioned in here about the new movie only have a 40% approval rating, but that is the critics take, the audience score is 85% and that jives with what I have heard from friends who saw it and said it was really enjoyable and had a ton of Easter Eggs/nods to the attraction, etc.

View attachment 734251
People take critics opinions as fact. There’s so many movies that critics love that I hate, or hate that I love. Just watch the movies and make up your own opinion is what I say

TrainsOfDisney

I don’t really love the hatbox ghost outside the attic at Disneyland - the attic is pretty spooky and leaving it to reveal the graveyard is a very neat transition. The hatbox breaks up that transition. I love the hatbox ghost, but I’m willing to see how it feels elsewhere in the attraction.

I hope it doesn’t take away from the endless corridor, but the chair wasn’t anything special so it seems like a decent spot for him.

Animaniac93-98

Having Hatbox disappear and reappear in different spots of the endless staircase would have been interesting.

More of a subtle "blink and you'll miss him" moment than calling attention to the figure.

Not sure how it would work practically, but conceptually that's more interesting to me.

FettFan

Believe it or not, there's no forced perspective in the Endless Hallway. It's just very long - it runs almost back behind the Library scene. And then

there's a full length mirror at that end of the hall, making it look twice as long as it actually is.

That said, I wouldn't expect him down in the Hall itself. More like just outside, around where the Donald Duck chair is now.
You dont suppose they’ll move the suit of armor somewhere else, since he only barely moves.

Captain Barbossa

He can't go in the Attic without ripping out Constance and her Husband's Portraits. They require too much light to work - enough that the HBG's effect would once again be spoiled, just like in 1969.
Since the “new” hatbox ghost’s face is a projection, unlike the OG, would this not eliminate the issue that the OG experienced? Or would there still be a problem due to the fact that there is still a physical face that could be seen if too much light is present?

yensidtlaw1969

Since the “new” hatbox ghost’s face is a projection, unlike the OG, would this not eliminate the issue that the OG experienced? Or would there still be a problem due to the fact that there is still a physical face that could be seen if too much light is present?
It's less about drowning out the projection when his face is on his neck and more about revealing the means of the trick when it isn't.

MerlinTheGoat

You are right that the physical space at DL and WDW are/were identical. That isn't the issue. I really hate to be vague, but saying more truly might get somebody else in trouble.

He can't go in the Attic without ripping out Constance and her Husband's Portraits. They require too much light to work - enough that the HBG's effect would once again be spoiled, just like in 1969.

To which I would personally say, go for it, get her out of there - but management isn't interested in reevaluating Constance. At least not presently. To my knowledge, WDI has basically never been pleased with her. *Something(s?)* went wrong while she was being developed, though I don't know exactly what.
Constance was the one addition to Mansion that really ruined an otherwise solid attraction overhaul for me. Not only is she a huge step down conceptually from her legitimately menacing predecessors (the blacked out face with glowing lights for eyes was extremely creepy), but the projection effects somehow look vastly worse than the other multiple decades older facial projections used elsewhere in the ride.

As i've said multiple times before, one of the most glaring reasons it looks as bad as it does is due to the fact that the face surface appears to be flat. Leota and the singing busts have actual physical features such as noses, cheeks, eye sockets, ears and even subtle lip shapes. This gives the projection a 3-dimensional surface to adhere to and make them look much more realistic.

Why-is-the-2nd-singing-bust-in-the-Haunted-Mansion-broken.jpg

From what I can tell, Constance's head lacks any of these details. On top of this, i'm guessing the veil also probably negatively impacts the projection as well, since it appears to be a front projection instead of internal. I believe Leota by comparison was made internal when she began levitating. Constance looks awkwardly flat at every single angle, even straight on doesn't look correct. It also doesn't help that they try to project moving hands and an axe onto the torso, which also looks stupid (even if the basic concept itself wasn't already terrible).

Mansion%2B46th%2B%2526%2BBride%2B%25284%2529.jpg

Hm-constance-web.jpg

I actually like the portraits. I never liked the obnoxiously loud noises and silliness of the old popup ghosts and find the portraits a more subtly creepy effect. As for their light requirements, would something like a rear projection (or perhaps even very dimly lit OLED screens) help with potential light spillage into the environment? Still, i'd be fine with the portraits leaving, especially if it meant we'd get something closer to the old darker bride back again.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Constance was the one addition to Mansion that really ruined an otherwise solid attraction overhaul for me. Not only is she a huge step down conceptually from her legitimately menacing predecessors (the blacked out face with glowing lights for eyes was extremely creepy), but the projection effects somehow look vastly worse than the other multiple decades older facial projections used elsewhere in the ride.

As i've said multiple times before, one of the most glaring reasons it looks as bad as it does is due to the fact that the face surface appears to be flat. Leota and the singing busts have actual physical features such as noses, cheeks, eye sockets, ears and even subtle lip shapes. This gives the projection a 3-dimensional surface to adhere to and make them look much more realistic.

Why-is-the-2nd-singing-bust-in-the-Haunted-Mansion-broken.jpg

From what I can tell, Constance's head lacks any of these details. On top of this, i'm guessing the veil also probably negatively impacts the projection as well, since it appears to be a front projection instead of internal. I believe Leota by comparison was made internal when she began levitating. Constance looks awkwardly flat at every single angle, even straight on doesn't look correct. It also doesn't help that they try to project moving hands and an axe onto the torso, which also looks stupid (even if the basic concept itself wasn't already terrible).

Mansion%2B46th%2B%2526%2BBride%2B%25284%2529.jpg

Hm-constance-web.jpg

I actually like the portraits. I never liked the obnoxiously loud noises and silliness of the old popup ghosts and find the portraits a more subtly creepy effect. As for their light requirements, would something like a rear projection (or perhaps even very dimly lit OLED screens) help with potential light spillage into the environment? Still, i'd be fine with the portraits leaving, especially if it meant we'd get something closer to the old darker bride back again.
The issue with the Portraits is that they require front light and back light alternating to achieve the effect - which means they need ambient light in the scene around them to help mask that transition. Notice how the Attic went from can lights and blacklight pre-Constance to gobos and specials post-Constance.

Yes, Constance's head is "flat" - by which I mean it is perfectly round like a balloon, having no facial features. In the filmed footage the actor playing Constance moves their head, looking around and changing direction constantly. I have to assume this was an intentional decision, since with every other similar effect famously mounted their performer's heads in a vice so they could get a steady shot that will map perfectly over a static headform . . . but being intentional would not make it any less misguided. It completely robs Constance of any dimension, and therefore presence. That her body is similarly "flat" only daggers the thing further. If she'd been viced, internally projected into a face-shaped dome, and had mechanical arms with a projected axe appearing and disappearing she would have had the chance to look half decent. But, alas. Basically every other version of the Attic Bride was better than her.

Leota was indeed made internal when she started levitating - but at DL that was in the early 90's when her ball was still on her stand and the table was made to levitate gently, which was done with Fiber Optics and was not quite ready for primetime, so it had some odd distortion. I believe she went back to her old external projection somewhere in the early 2000's, which, oddly enough, carried over even after she started floating. Imagine the bouncing ball on a DVD screensaver and that's how Floating Leota was initially mapped, which is wild. But they'd perfected internal projection by the 2007 when they went to add her to WDW, so that Floating Leota has always been internal. DL has since been upgraded to internal as well.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Which is a definite improvement - I love the new attic scene. I would like to see the bride improved, but I like the general concept of the attic now.
I mean, while it's nice to be able to see all the stuff around the Attic, and some of the theatrical lighting is nice, I think it's a shame that what was once the dark-heart of the ride now plays host to no spooky characters. Given the choice between the current lighting scheme or an actually effective Bride in the Attic I know which one I'd choose.

Part of the deal with Constance, too, is that she's projected from such a short distance that she needs supplemental illumination behind and beneath her mannequin to drown out the "bounding box" of her projection. Otherwise she might look kinda like this, with a glowing gray rectangle around her:

Screenshot 2023-07-30 at 4.43.05 PM.png

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
Interesting letter from Imagineering indicating that Walt didn't want an explicit storyline for HM, but rather a "series of experiences and situations"

This may be blasphemy, but I don’t think Walt’s opinion should be the Word of God on this. He could never settle on what the Mansion should be. Okay. Nobody’s perfect.

The success of Disney parks is built on story. Rides, lands, even the parks themselves have stories. Clearly the most devoted fans want this ride to have a story.

The Leota manifestation pulls the whole ride together, whether it was originally intended or not. To lessen the story just because nobody said you couldn’t is a huge mistake.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom