News Hatbox Ghost coming to Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion

HouCuseChickie

I just saw the Haunted Mansion. Awesome movie. Funny, emotional, and a little scary with a great cast.

Such a pleasant surprise! Hopefully it will find an audience on Disney + this October.

Agreed! We just saw it today and absolutely loved it! We did a double feature and saw both Barbie and Haunted Mansion today. I know Barbie is getting much better reviews and crushing box office totals, but we liked HM so much more. Very different movies, of course, but we definitely didn’t think HM deserves all of the negative reviews.

Last edited:

Tha Realest

WHAT is going on in Imagineering?

Good. It wasn't Eddie Murphy bad, but it was still pretty horrendous.
The Eddie Murphy film might have a bigger opening, not even accounting for inflation.

And at 40% this is going to have a terrible word of mouth.

THANK GOODNESS the changes to the attraction appear to be minimal

splah

if they insist on the hallway they need to change the room's lighting as well. the HBG is ethereal blue glow, but the lighting currently is warm chandelier and candleabra. they need to match them. his effect is too high tech for the lo-fi area of the hallway.

if they can't do it near attic, then by the grandfather clock or top of the stairs as the wallpaper transitions or first thing in the library. He needs to be paired with otherworldly things b/c his effect is otherwordly and his animation should be beckoning into the mansion

MerlinTheGoat

Actually, I have learned in the past day that it cannot.
See, I don't get this. I was under the impression that once you pass the staircase scene (not counting variations in scenery placement), the two versions are (or were) identical in terms of track and room layout/space.

Hattie is on the balcony threshold right as you exit the attic. I was able to find an old night vision video of the DL version prior to his installation that shows this threshold quite clearly, and it used to be identical in space to WDW's. The only difference was that WDW had a more permanent looking metal railing on the edge, but they also added new railing to DL's when they installed Hattie.

It looks like they sliced out a chunk of roof to give Hattie more space. I'm not sure what would prevent them from doing the same thing at WDW. Only reasons I can think of are potential structural supports or some other important mechanical elements housed inside. I dunno if that's the case.

But lets assume there is some actual valid reason they can't possibly use that space. Why not just place him somewhere else in the attic? That room has been substantially altered multiple times over the past 50 years, including changing the bride's placement (Constance's superior predecessor used to be on the opposite side of the track). Disneyland has a variant of the shadowy phantom playing piano in the attic, surely they can make some space for Hattie at WDW in there. Wasn't the original figure briefly located inside the attic alongside the bride prior to his removal?

Disneyland pre 2015-
1690705473409.png

Two different shots of the WDW space, just to clarify that this threshold and roof occupied the same space-
1690705489401.png

yensidtlaw1969

See, I don't get this. I was under the impression that once you pass the staircase scene (not counting variations in scenery placement), the two versions are (or were) identical in terms of track and room layout/space.

Hattie is on the balcony threshold right as you exit the attic. I was able to find an old night vision video of the DL version prior to his installation that shows this threshold quite clearly, and it used to be identical in space to WDW's. The only difference was that WDW had a more permanent looking metal railing on the edge, but they also added new railing to DL's when they installed Hattie.

It looks like they sliced out a chunk of roof to give Hattie more space. I'm not sure what would prevent them from doing the same thing at WDW. Only reasons I can think of are potential structural supports or some other important mechanical elements housed inside. I dunno if that's the case.

But lets assume there is some actual valid reason they can't possibly use that space. Why not just place him somewhere else in the attic? That room has been substantially altered multiple times over the past 50 years, including changing the bride's placement (Constance's superior predecessor used to be on the opposite side of the track). Disneyland has a variant of the shadowy phantom playing piano in the attic, surely they can make some space for Hattie at WDW in there. Wasn't the original figure briefly located inside the attic alongside the bride prior to his removal?

Disneyland pre 2015-
View attachment 734215

Two different shots of the WDW space, just to clarify that this threshold and roof occupied the same space-
View attachment 734216

You are right that the physical space at DL and WDW are/were identical. That isn't the issue. I really hate to be vague, but saying more truly might get somebody else in trouble.

He can't go in the Attic without ripping out Constance and her Husband's Portraits. They require too much light to work - enough that the HBG's effect would once again be spoiled, just like in 1969.

To which I would personally say, go for it, get her out of there - but management isn't interested in reevaluating Constance. At least not presently. To my knowledge, WDI has basically never been pleased with her. *Something(s?)* went wrong while she was being developed, though I don't know exactly what.

Tha Realest

if they insist on the hallway they need to change the room's lighting as well. the HBG is ethereal blue glow, but the lighting currently is warm chandelier and candleabra. they need to match them. his effect is too high tech for the lo-fi area of the hallway.

if they can't do it near attic, then by the grandfather clock or top of the stairs as the wallpaper transitions or first thing in the library. He needs to be paired with otherworldly things b/c his effect is otherwordly and his animation should be beckoning into the mansion
Is there also an issue of scope? I thought the hallway had something a forced perspective effect. If they throw an AA in there, won’t that affect the effect?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom