News Hatbox Ghost coming to Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
People act like the gags prior to Leota are so subtle that you think it’s just a trick or the light. There’s nothing particularly subtle about the lightning portraits, busts, hand trying to claw out of a coffin, footprints on the upside-down stairs, or the screaming skeleton in the stretching gallery. Before 2007, you even had what looked like monsters trying to push open doors before Leota.

This no-ghouls-before-Leota theory is a fantasy. About the only legitimate complaint I hear about Hattie is that he’s too modern for the ride when stacked up against these 50-year old gags. I just think he’s cool and I like cool things. And he’s a non-IP addition! Keep whining and they’ll replace him with a Hei Hei.
They could put more effort into this…that’s the beef

Maximum prices for minimal, bloated cost efforts.

I’ll remind: we are just starting a 5 year period of no significant additions…
Pay up, Plebs!
He's only going in one spot - by the endless hallway
I think they meant multiple parks?

lazyboy97o

Probably depends on the reasoning currently for why they have the plan the do

If it was "hey, wouldn't it be cool if we put him near the spot that fit with that scene from the movie trailer?" ... Then maybe

If it is "structurally he doesn't fit/effect won't work elsewhere so where is the best place we can craft a good, if new, narrative to make him fit" (e.g., they actually have thought about this and have developed the best plan possible factoring things we don't know about) ... Then probably not
They built a new place near the one originally planned at Disneyland. That location could be utilized at Magic Kingdom.

999th Happy Haunt

People act like the gags prior to Leota are so subtle that you think it’s just a trick or the light. There’s nothing particularly subtle about the lightning portraits, busts, hand trying to claw out of a coffin, footprints on the upside-down stairs, or the screaming skeleton in the stretching gallery. Before 2007, you even had what looked like monsters trying to push open doors before Leota.

This no-ghouls-before-Leota theory is a fantasy. About the only legitimate complaint I hear about Hattie is that he’s too modern for the ride when stacked up against these 50-year old gags. I just think he’s cool and I like cool things. And he’s a non-IP addition! Keep whining and they’ll replace him with a Hei Hei.
I agree that the Leota is not a hard and fast continuity thing for the attraction, but surely you have to admit adding Hattie next to the endless hallway is poor scene composition. If replacing the “Donald” chair, there’s just going to be way too much going on for a short vignette. You’ll have the moving knight on the right, hallway with candelabra in the middle, and the out of place modern Hatbox Ghost on the left. This is all while narration plays throughout the scene and riders experience a chill of cold air. The Disneyland HBG is by himself in the attic which allows the moment to focus on him without having his effect and audio distract from anything else.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ha, I just drove 900 miles yesterday from our ranch west of Fort Worth to Middle Georgia. Urban areas in Florida are dense as well, but there are still places where you are not in someone elses' arm pits.
Well your understanding of northern weather is lacking. We don’t get white christmases anymore, Bing

You’re doing “changes in latitude”

Scuttle

I agree that the Leota is not a hard and fast continuity thing for the attraction, but surely you have to admit adding Hattie next to the endless hallway is poor scene composition. If replacing the “Donald” chair, there’s just going to be way too much going on for a short vignette. You’ll have the moving knight on the right, hallway with candelabra in the middle, and the out of place modern Hatbox Ghost on the left. This is all while narration plays throughout the scene and riders experience a chill of cold air. The Disneyland HBG is by himself in the attic which allows the moment to focus on him without having his effect and audio distract from anything else.
He so clearly needs to go in the attic or the graveyard. How in the hell does WDI make these idiotic decisions? They can’t be THIS incompetent can they? It’s time for Iger to clean house and fire even more from WDI. Downsize and bring on real talent.

yensidtlaw1969

Aren't the 3 locations the hat box ghost is being placed just because of the new movie?
Before the movie was planned, was probably only one right?
Now with all the movie ty ins, like Cpt Sparrow in Pirates ride, aren't they just placing characters everywhere?
The Hatbox Ghost will be appearing once. In the Endless Hallway.

Take it to the bank.

Vegas Disney Fan

He so clearly needs to go in the attic or the graveyard. How in the hell does WDI make these idiotic decisions? They can’t be THIS incompetent can they? It’s time for Iger to clean house and fire even more from WDI. Downsize and bring on real talent.
This is the same company that let a person who’d never been on a cruise design their new cruise ships, to unsurprisingly poor results.

I used to view Imagineering as the pinnacle of creativity and quality, sadly that is not the Imagineering we have today, I have more respect for the fan community who come up with ideas than the real Imagineering now. It’s sad how far they’ve fallen.

doctornick

Also regarding some folks saying “he should be in the graveyard”, I’m not sure I understand that. I’m not super into the lore of the ride but I feel like by the time you are in the graveyard, the ghosts are shown to be jovial and socializing and an ominous haunt like the HBG would be out of place. I agree that he should be in the attic or just outside it as an ideal placement.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Also regarding some folks saying “he should be in the graveyard”, I’m not sure I understand that. I’m not super into the lore of the ride but I feel like by the time you are in the graveyard, the ghosts are shown to be jovial and socializing and an ominous haunt like the HBG would be out of place. I agree that he should be in the attic or just outside it as an ideal placement.
I believe he’s in the attic in Anaheim? But it’s been a few years…

Tom Morrow

He’s kind out right outside the attic, before you go backwards down. So prior to entering the graveyard per se. But basically feels like part of the attic scene but far enough away from the bride and her light to have the hat box effect work.

This seems like the right spot for him to go. The two sinister ghosts near each other, and he doesn't take away from the attic scene or disrupt the graveyard scene.

doctornick

This seems like the right spot for him to go. The two sinister ghosts near each other, and he doesn't take away from the attic scene or disrupt the graveyard scene.
Yeah, I feel like ideally he would go somewhere after Leota but before going backwards down. If the DL spot isn’t feasible then maybe right before entering the attic? Any space after Leota but pre-ballroom? I dunno.

I will say that I get the “no ghosts before Leota” concept but tonally he fits better in the creepiness in the beginning of the ride than he would in the Graveyard with partying ghosts. 🤷

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom