News Hatbox Ghost coming to Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion

yensidtlaw1969

The fact that they're putting it there without taking into consideration that you're not supposed to see materialized ghosts until after Leota just adds to the never ending pile that proves the current leadership and "creatives" don't really know what they're doing and don't know or care at all about the legacy or the details.

I mean, most of them are now just 22 year olds who were on the college program two years ago and were really good at flirting with the right people anyway.

This Ghost would like to have a word with you . . . in fact, he can hardly contain himself:

1690563071400.png

Neuner

Is it possible MK’s version had less room on the balcony to work with? Or are they identical?
I thought when MK opened in 1971, the Haunted Mansion had a bride and groom in the attic. Whenever her heart beat, his head would leave his shoulders and appear in a hat box. I was in my teens then, but I thought that was the best effect!!

yensidtlaw1969

Is he not portrayed by Jared Leto, who’s been accused of pretty bad workplace conduct and even worse allegations by those in the industry?
The famous character from the ride has been reinterpreted for the movie as a CGI construction voiced by Leto, and actor I do not care for because of the reasons listed above.

But unless something has changed, the version going into the WDW Mansion is a duplicate of the 2015 Disneyland Ghost, which both predates and features no elements of or from Leto.

This character's origins date back to the 1960's, and he has since then existed in a number of forms outside of the film that was released literally today. It's more than weird to insist that character answer for Leto's bad behavior.

Sir_Cliff

The famous character from the ride has been reinterpreted for the movie as a CGI construction voiced by Leto, and actor I do not care for because of the reasons listed above.

But unless something has changed, the version going into the WDW Mansion is a duplicate of the 2015 Disneyland Ghost, which both predates and features no elements of or from Leto.

This character's origins date back to the 1960's, and he has since then existed in a number of forms outside of the film that was released literally today. It's more than weird to insist that character answer for Leto's bad behavior.
Yes, pick your battles.

Just having a negative comment or quip ready to go about everything is tiring and not constructive.

Last edited:

Bocabear

I thought when MK opened in 1971, the Haunted Mansion had a bride and groom in the attic. Whenever her heart beat, his head would leave his shoulders and appear in a hat box. I was in my teens then, but I thought that was the best effect!!
I never saw that ...or heard about that as a thing... There was a bride...but no groom I know of....
One of the refurbishments in Disneyland added the wedding march being played on a broken piano in the attic, and the pop-up heads saying "I do!" as they jumped up... But never remember a groom figure in the attic with a disappearing head... does anyone have a photo of this?

Tom Morrow

Okay so ignoring getting pedantic about where you first actually see a materialized ghost...

There's also pacing to consider. Prior to the seance, everything you see is a lowkey effect, parlor tricks and whatnot. For first time riders its all meant to both keep them on edge and also lower their expectations until the HUGE reveal of the grand ballroom which, even 50 years later, it's an extremely impressive scene. Putting the hatbox ghost here plays the hand that there are impressive ghost effects in this attraction too early.

I know it can be hard to even think about your first time riding for most of us here, so it might not be easy to consider how little changes like this affect the overall impact of the attraction. And of course, anyone who rides it after the change wouldn't be able to compare their first time experience to if they had ridden it before the change.

But little details like this DO matter. They are the reason an attraction like this resonates so well with everyone, even if they might not be able to articulate why or even recognize why.

Last edited:

zipadee999

The version of the attraction with the condensed layout finds room to add Hattie in a new scene while the extended version with the ‘blessing of size’ still has to shoehorn him in to a preexisting scene and ruin it…

yensidtlaw1969

Okay so ignoring getting pedantic about where you first actually see a materialized ghost...

There's also pacing to consider. Prior to the seance, everything you see is a lowkey effect, parlor tricks and whatnot. For first time riders its all meant to both keep them on edge and also lower their expectations until the HUGE reveal of the grand ballroom which, even 50 years later, it's an extremely impressive scene. Putting the hatbox ghost here plays the hand that there are impressive ghost effects in this attraction too early.

I know it can be hard to even think about your first time riding for most of us here, so it might not be easy to consider how little changes like this affect the overall impact of the attraction. And of course, anyone who rides it after the change wouldn't be able to compare their first time experience to if they had ridden it before the change.
I don't think it's necessarily correct to assume that people who disagree with you haven't considered those things.

Keep in mind that the minds behind this install are the same ones who devised the effect in the first place. They know a thing or two about staging.

I'm getting the impression there's a little more up their sleeves than just "plop him here for no good reason".

Tom Morrow

I don't think it's necessarily correct to assume that people who disagree with you haven't considered those things.

Keep in mind that the minds behind this install are the same ones who devised the effect in the first place. They know a thing or two about staging.

I'm getting the impression there's a little more up their sleeves than just "plop him here for no good reason".

Those making the decisions today are not the creative visionaries of the past though. They don't think about this stuff, or don't care. That's why we get a Moana splash pad in Epcot. I'm willing to bet money that this was some team of 20-somethings who have been given an explanation of "fans love and want hatbox ghost, make it happen" and that was the extent of the proposal. If they thought about this more than "I bet he could fit here" I'd be interested to know what their thought process was.

He should be in the graveyard, for what it's worth. Being in the attic also takes away from the bride and the whole point of that scene (projection-face bride issues aside).

Last edited:

rreading

I don’t like this placement choice at all.

But when we were riding HM in June, I was trying to imagine where it would fit. I didn’t think there was space after the bride and it would be worse to place it in the graveyard.

Ultimately, I was hoping that they had just forgotten about it

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom