News Hatbox Ghost coming to Walt Disney World's Haunted Mansion

jpeden

In the Parks
No
Not really - the hands that used to cling to the edge of the door in the Corridor of Doors mere moments later were also considered ghost hands, which is why they were removed by the Imagineering team in 2007, because they felt they broke the "Leota Rule" whereby "no ghosts materialize in the house before Leota has summoned them".

However, as I said before, 2007 was the first time such a rule was implemented, and the Coffin Occupant was given a pass by that same team - not because he wasn't considered a Ghost, but because he was considered too iconic to remove despite breaking their new rule. So the rule is not nearly as longstanding as people are suggesting, nor has it been particularly steadfast since they broke it from day one.

Add to that the fact that those hands they removed in 2007 were added to the WDW Door by Claude Coats himself, who revised the WDW Corridor to improve it over the DL version, and that the install of the WDW show was supervised by Marc Davis, and it becomes harder to argue that this "rule" even needed to be implemented in the first place. If anybody knew what they were doing with The Haunted Mansion, it was Marc Davis and Claude Coats on their second stab at it. These changes were replicated in Tokyo, where they stand today untampered with.

More like a guideline than a rule.

I didn't know this rule came into effect with the 2007 re-haunting. It makes it much less egregious than I thought originally, but I'm not sold on this location until I see it in action.

lazyboy97o

Not really - the hands that used to cling to the edge of the door in the Corridor of Doors mere moments later were also considered ghost hands, which is why they were removed by the Imagineering team in 2007, because they felt they broke the "Leota Rule" whereby "no ghosts materialize in the house before Leota has summoned them".

However, as I said before, 2007 was the first time such a rule was implemented, and the Coffin Occupant was given a pass by that same team - not because he wasn't considered a Ghost, but because he was considered too iconic to remove despite breaking their new rule. So the rule is not nearly as longstanding as people are suggesting, nor has it been particularly steadfast since they broke it from day one.

Add to that the fact that those hands they removed in 2007 were added to the WDW Door by Claude Coats himself, who revised the WDW Corridor to improve it over the DL version, and that the install of the WDW show was supervised by Marc Davis, and it becomes harder to argue that this "rule" even needed to be implemented in the first place. If anybody knew what they were doing with The Haunted Mansion, it was Marc Davis and Claude Coats on their second stab at it. These changes were replicated in Tokyo, where they stand today untampered with.

More like a guideline than a rule.
They were more hints, bits and pieces. There’s a very clear and dramatic change in the presence of the ghosts after the seance. The is a build up and suddenly introducing a full ghost right before we learn that they’re having trouble materializing throws that progression off kilter a bit.

Bocabear

Its fan service. People wanted the hatbox ghost and they are giving him to fans. Does it help the story? Does it make sense? Is it needed? That stuff isnt considered.
This is purely fan service, and much cheaper than building anything significant like a new ride or new tracks where needed.

Hopefully I am wrong, and it actually improves the rather murky story line that is there currently.
I did not think there was any linear storyline to the mansion more than a collection of ghostly scenes...other than within the framework of a "Haunted Mansion and graveyard"... The DLP version has more of a storyline centering around the bride figure...
so no real reason to worry about a storyline perse... It will change the pacing of the ride... in how much is revealed at a certain time....

yensidtlaw1969

They were more hints, bits and pieces. There’s a very clear and dramatic change in the presence of the ghosts after the seance. The is a build up and suddenly introducing a full ghost right before we learn that they’re having trouble materializing throws that progression off kilter a bit.

Oh believe me, I get that. It's definitely a significant change.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
The release really makes it seem like three appearances... one (all digital?) in the endless hallway, one (probably the full AA?) in the cemetery, and one (probably again digital?) interspersed with the hitchhiking ghosts (wasn't/isn't there a digital projection where one of the hitchhiking ghosts makes riders heads [digitally] swap?)... though I am prepared to be wrong and just wind up with a (somehow less impressive) copy of the Disneyland animatronic awkwardly placed...

PREMiERdrum

It's worth remembering that the effect needs to be in a location where the lighting can be tightly tailored as not to show too much. An attic placement would have likely worked - at the expense of Constance - but the ambient lighting and multiple viewing angles available in the graveyard makes that a no-go. Think of how the Donald chair sits in its own pool of light with shadows trailing... I'd expect we see the figure just beyond.

zipadee999

If they won’t do the balcony scene that DL has, they should do a Hatbox take on Henry Ravenswood from PM with how he follows you in the background through the attraction before appearing up close and personal at the end

yensidtlaw1969

The release really makes it seem like three appearances... one (all digital?) in the endless hallway, one (probably the full AA?) in the cemetery, and one (probably again digital?) interspersed with the hitchhiking ghosts (wasn't/isn't there a digital projection where one of the hitchhiking ghosts makes riders heads [digitally] swap?)... though I am prepared to be wrong and just wind up with a (somehow less impressive) copy of the Disneyland animatronic awkwardly placed...
I'm not sure why people are reading it that way when it is so, so much more likely to mean "Unlike at Disneyland where he's overlooking the Graveyard, here at WDW he'll have come inside and greet you in the Endless Hall as you pass by in your Doombuggy".

The wording was weird, but I think it's overly optimistic (?!?) to assume they have multiple appearances planned for him.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
This Ghost would like to have a word with you . . . in fact, he can hardly contain himself:

View attachment 733711
My head cannon is that the scream and crash you hear in the stretching room after "of course there's always my way" is supposed to be a guest screaming and running through the wall (resulting in your way out of the stretching room). What goes unseen is that the "mansion" (seeking out the "one more") has gone through the effort of getting ready to bury the guest (even though they are not quite dead yet) in hopes of filling that "room for 1000" void and this is said guest (hence the "let me outa here" audio). Making this figure seen here (at least in my head cannon) neither a zombie or a ghost but someone being buried alive.

UNCgolf

To be honest, I don't really want the Hatbox Ghost at all. While I haven't seen it in person at Disneyland, in photos/videos I'm not a huge fan because it looks overly bright/modern compared to the surroundings.

Since it's coming, though, I really hope they don't put it in the Endless Hallway (or anywhere else that will mess up a classic scene).

yensidtlaw1969

To be honest, I don't really want the Hatbox Ghost at all. While I haven't seen it in person at Disneyland, in photos/videos I'm not a huge fan because it looks overly bright/modern compared to the surroundings.

Since it's coming, though, I really hope they don't put it in the Endless Hallway (or anywhere else that will mess up a classic scene).
He looks better in person than on camera. Or at least he has the times I’ve seen him. He’s a handsome figure, and quite a convincing effect.

TheMaxRebo

Having seen it at Disneyland the effect is quite good and you go past it really fast.

I get your point and I think if you had like serveral minutes to look at it, it might seem out of place but with how quick you go buy it really doesn't register as not fitting

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom