Has anyone ever thought you'd be better off not visiting these boards?

kcnole

Original Poster
Now I get a bunch of great conversation on here, a ton of news which keeps me excited about going back to Disney, and I love peoples pictures and trip reports. However I was just sitting here and thinking about how negative this board is about Disney (even if it is rightfully so) and realizing how that impacts my enjoyment of the parks sometimes.

Before I was involved with these communities I went to Disney and just enjoyed myself. I didn't know all the intimate details (which actually makes me enjoy things more now) but I also didn't know all the negative problems with leadership, paint peeling, broken down AA's, etc... My park experiences were just fun. I didn't pay attention to the occasional piece of pealing paint, or that one attraction was a bit subpar. Now it seems I can't step foot in the parks without finding fault in things everywhere. I've been trained to have a critical eye now, and I see them all over.

Now I still enjoy my trips otherwise I wouldn't continue to go and the little pieces of insider information I have in my head do make the trips better in some ways. At the same time there's that trade off where while I'm enjoying myself, I'm still noticing all the problem pieces in the park. And I'm sitting here trying to remember if my trips were more enjoyable before I knew all the problems.

Has anyone else ever had these thoughts? I'll just give a brief example. On my last trip that my wife and I went on before I got involved on these sites, for some reason (and we couldn't explain why) our favorite park that we visited out of all 4 of them was MGM. Now I find that I don't think I could step foot into DHS without being greatly annoyed by the hat, the lack of quality rides, etc... And I'm a bit sad that I'll probably never be able to experience the parks with that naive eye that I once had. At the same time, I really enjoy the new insight I do have.

So is the tradeoff worth it to you?

Enderikari

KC, I feel much the same as you most of the time, the trick is to rediscover the reason you go to WDW for yourself, to focus on the positive. Its what you used to do, right? Let's face it, WDW has always had a little peeling paint, some attractions downtimes, and some off cast members, you just happily ignored it before. Remember, that while WDW may make it easy to experience, the true magical feelings come from in yourself.

But, I do feel the same way, which is why I wrote this bit, so long ago...

The Worst Thing to Happen to Walt Disney World

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
If we based our happiness of being American based on the dire threats and daily dose of negative news, self serving politicians and a screwed up economy....I guess we should all stop listening, reading and move to Canada...

I live in NJ...the most wealthy state in the country...also the highest taxed, most corrupt and financially bankrupt....should I leave?

If I worried about the invisible internet community where 16 year olds can present themselves as experts, where fat 55 year old men can be

images

and all the ladies can be

KeiraEPA_450x500.jpg

...then I would have to double my dose of Cymbalta...

As with fruit and vegetables....I select and enjoy the things that look good and that I like, and leave the rest for compost.

KingStefan

I have often thought I'd be better off not visiting these boards, but for a different reason - I spend WAY too much time here and I can't get anything else done!

Fun2BFree

I dunno... I think all these inside gossip and backstage sneak-peeks have really heightened my enjoyment of WDW. I've learnt that it isn't a magical place where pixie dust makes all the rides go, but rather a normal company with an excellent work ethic, and it boggles the mind how they manage to maintain such a wonderful experience that fools (in a good way) people into thinking that the make-believe is real.

As for all these negative threads, I think maybe we should just ignore them and they'll vanish away. No one forces anyone to read them. :shrug:

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Agreed!

Just as some say that behind the scenes/Keys to the Kingdom tour only serves to ruin the magic.....it increased my enjoyment and appreciation more.

maggiegrace1

It does not effect me at all.

I go to WDW as my escape..It is a place where I can relax and have fun with my family.

When I am there all my problems go away and I do not notice the "bad" things that I read on here.

Peeling paint and broken AA's..Who cares?

I don't.

Do you think I am going to spend tons of money on a much needed vacation and have it get ruined because the paper boy on SSE is facing the wrong way..or the paint on the TTA looks chipped?

No way...I just enjoy what I have always enjoyed and do not even think of what **** or ****** said on these boards.

I do not base what I am going to think of a new ride on show on what they say either.

If I like SSE I like it..If I hate SSE I hate it..But because I do..not because they did.

It is all what you choose to do and see..

Disneyfanman

It's funny. If I had never been to WDW, I don't know if I would go after reading some of the posts here. But fortunately, I was a fan long before the internet generation. I do tell people who are going for the first time to NOT visit the boards here or at WDWinfo. Buy the guidebooks instead.

I could get discouraged reading some of these posts, but it always goes away when I visit the parks. Always. I just can't get upset about a missing seagull or a burned out light bulb. SSE received horrid, emotional reviews here, but my family liked most of the changes and thought it much improved. But some people here hated it to the point of sounding like uber-terrorists. I mean, are they going to plant a bomb to rid the world of an attraction that Walt wouldn't have liked? Give me a break. People talk about the horrible decisions that Disney makes with every change.

We are annual visitors, and the reality is that we like most of the new stuff, and always enjoy checking out anything that changes and discussing. I don't approach Disney with an "anything they do is great" attitude, but I admit that the good feelings that I get when I visit are so much greater than the bad..............

Disney is my annual escape from reality. They cannot make a move without it being blasted here. That's OK. I ignore it and enjoy. I do wonder why some of the folks who post here ever go back. I mean, Disney is re-opening the ABC theater after years with the American Idol idea, and you would have thought it was the end of world peace. The Night Kingdom idea is currently generating some incredible emotional responses. I just can't figure it out. So I just ignore, go, and enjoy.

PineapplePrincess

I visit these boards to get tips, and to find out new and interesting things to look for and do on my next trip. If I see something negative, I generally ignore it. I like to form my own opinions about things. Nothing can change my enthusiasm for WDW.

JDM

Now I get a bunch of great conversation on here, a ton of news which keeps me excited about going back to Disney, and I love peoples pictures and trip reports. However I was just sitting here and thinking about how negative this board is about Disney (even if it is rightfully so) and realizing how that impacts my enjoyment of the parks sometimes.

I completely understand.
There is a good deal of information available here, but also a large dose of negativity from....well......a good number of folks.

My advice is to search for the info you need, ask a question if necessary, respond to a question if you can help and let the freaks ramble....

:)

WaltsApprentice

I have often thought I'd be better off not visiting these boards, but for a different reason - I spend WAY too much time here and I can't get anything else done!

I know what you mean...!! I come on here and get stuck for hours!! Which its said...but you really get sucked in.

To the OP: I do agree with you alot... I have had alot of negitive and postives get said on this board...which it has changed my opinions on the parks...But remember to stick with your own beliefs and don't just follow whatever one else says... I still hear people say DAK and DHS are half day parks...but those are the people that go just there to ride the popular rides...and not enjoy the environment...shows...and many other attractions around them. For example...I never knew about some of the secret trails in DAK ...BUT thats another completely different thread...BUT My point is...keep your own opinions and ingore all those negative comments and take them they way you want Don't let them ruin the magic for you :wave:

NadieMasK2

No.

Totally agree with Dana. I pick and choose the threads I read. If it gets all complainy about the condition of the parks yada yada....close the window.

I do love being able to stay current while living so far away. And I also realize that everyone here has the same passion, but that people express that passion in different ways. Some are analyzers and more technical, some are more emotional, some are more critical. It's what makes the world go 'round.

EPCOT Explorer

It does not effect me at all.

I go to WDW as my escape..It is a place where I can relax and have fun with my family.

When I am there all my problems go away and I do not notice the "bad" things that I read on here.

Peeling paint and broken AA's..Who cares?

I don't.

Do you think I am going to spend tons of money on a much needed vacation and have it get ruined because the paper boy on SSE is facing the wrong way..or the paint on the TTA looks chipped?

No way...I just enjoy what I have always enjoyed and do not even think of what **** or ****** said on these boards.

I do not base what I am going to think of a new ride on show on what they say either.

If I like SSE I like it..If I hate SSE I hate it..But because I do..not because they did.

It is all what you choose to do and see..

Exactly.It bothers me that some people can't enjoy Disney for the sake of having fun,but without some dissent,nothing would get done.

H20Babie

Agreed.

The only thing about these boards that causes me to shake my head at all (and in not in a negative way) is that I second guess my trip planning ... which resort? which restaurant? etc, etc. :lol:

wannab@dis

It's funny. If I had never been to WDW, I don't know if I would go after reading some of the posts here. But fortunately, I was a fan long before the internet generation. I do tell people who are going for the first time to NOT visit the boards here or at WDWinfo. Buy the guidebooks instead.

I made this mistake once with some friends who were thinking about going. Told them to visit the site and the next time I spoke to them, they were unsure they wanted to go based on so many negatives posted here.

It's a shame that we have a very vocal and a very minority group that has to continually gripe and complain about everything... to a point where their perceived negatives outweigh all the positives. After every trip, I can honestly look at my trip and find a problem or issue... however it's far overshadowed by all the good times, memories and magic.

What is really annoying is the most vocal of the complainers and haters try to wrap their negativity into some philosophical mode of "if we make enough noise we can affect change" mantra. However, they rarely, if ever, look at anything as good for the many... just their own selfish wants without regard for the business or the public enjoyment.

Dingle66

We've become such a spoiled, unappreciative society that in general many folks first instinct is to be critical and complain as soon as something doesn't suit us perfectly. It's all actually quite sad.

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy

I could get discouraged reading some of these posts, but it always goes away when I visit the parks. Always. I just can't get upset about a missing seagull or a burned out light bulb. SSE received horrid, emotional reviews here, but my family liked most of the changes and thought it much improved. But some people here hated it to the point of sounding like uber-terrorists. I mean, are they going to plant a bomb to rid the world of an attraction that Walt wouldn't have liked? Give me a break. People talk about the horrible decisions that Disney makes with every change.

We are annual visitors, and the reality is that we like most of the new stuff, and always enjoy checking out anything that changes and discussing. I don't approach Disney with an "anything they do is great" attitude, but I admit that the good feelings that I get when I visit are so much greater than the bad..............

Disney is my annual escape from reality. They cannot make a move without it being blasted here. That's OK. I ignore it and enjoy. I do wonder why some of the folks who post here ever go back. I mean, Disney is re-opening the ABC theater after years with the American Idol idea, and you would have thought it was the end of world peace. The Night Kingdom idea is currently generating some incredible emotional responses. I just can't figure it out. So I just ignore, go, and enjoy.

The GREAT irony is that many of these "biggest" critics are in the parks WEEKLY Why would anyone so disappointed in something spend so much time there?? :confused: :brick:. For icing, consider that more than a few are ex-CM's and a number of those were fired by the mouse for exhibiting the kind of behavior they rail against. Knowing that those "emperors" have no clothes makes some of that negativism humorous in an odd kind of way....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom